The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Just to make sure, Bruce...you're aware that Hoffee currently has the two distinct "models" (or levels, as it were), that are differentiated in relation to weight, protection, and price...?
Yes, Larry, this is what I (and everyone else, I hope) is talking about. I have ordered, received, and reshipped one of the new cases. As standard they have a generic interior, but for a modest charge they can have a fit interior like the more expensive case, and I did this.

So, to settle the weight issue, I just weighed a few cases I own:

A jumbo (Calgary) Calton I own weighs exactly 15#.
A small (Calgary) Calton weighs 11.5#.
An Om (smaller) Gen2 Hoffee I own weighs 14#.
A Jumbo (larger) Gen2 Hoffee weighs 15.2#.
A (large) Gen1 Hoffee weighs 10.5#.
A small Gen1 Hoffee weighs 7 3/4#.

I did not weigh the new case, which was the larger of the 2 sizes and custom fit for my OMish though the shell will hold a dread, but I'd say it was around 10# to 12# in my memory. It felt light.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:26 PM

Actually, from what I had heard, Bruce and Larry are both right in that the case is "sort of" a 3rd generation case and yet it is not replacing the 2nd generation case---It's just DIFFERENT. I heard that Hoffee now has a case more suitable for a classical or dread, but that it was substantially lighter than the regular 2nd generation case...In fact, it wasn't a FLIGHT case per se, but rather a lighter high quality case........I'd heard he was using the same handle, and some other specs were the same, but that there were some differences, including the interior padding/material and ???? One thing I like about the current Hoffee case is the plush lining...Are the latches the same high quality, etc. etc.? I should have clarified as it WAS the light weight, non-flight case I was interested in considering...I find I'm too chicken to actually FLY my guitars and most of the time I'm driving and dragging them in and out of the car....carrying them...In those usual situations,....WEIGHT is a big factor. A lighter, smaller profile, high quality case might be a good option for some guitars, some of the time....I was mostly wondering if anyone had actually seen them yet or ordered one and what people thought about these cases.........
Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Yes, Larry, this is what I (and everyone else, I hope) is talking about. I have ordered, received, and reshipped one of the new cases. As standard they have a generic interior, but for a modest charge they can have a fit interior like the more expensive case, and I did this.

So, to settle the weight issue, I just weighed a few cases I own:

A jumbo (Calgary) Calton I own weighs exactly 15#.
A small (Calgary) Calton weighs 11.5#.
An Om (smaller) Gen2 Hoffee I own weighs 14#.
A Jumbo (larger) Gen2 Hoffee weighs 15.2#.
A (large) Gen1 Hoffee weighs 10.5#.
A small Gen1 Hoffee weighs 7 3/4#.

I did not weigh the new case, which was the larger of the 2 sizes and custom fit for my OMish though the shell will hold a dread, but I'd say it was around 10# to 12# in my memory. It felt light.

Cool, thanks for this clarification, Bruce.

I understand that the Texas Caltons are all the heavier fiberglass. You mention the "Calgary Caltons", and these would have been the heavier fiberglass. Interesting that you have a small one of these at 11.5 pounds...possibly not the "deluxe" heavier weight fiberglass model, or perhaps I'm wrong-again!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

It is a DeLuxe case, but for a single 0. I mention the Calgary component mainly because I would not value them as highly if they were from the Lafoley or post Lafoley era, karma etc.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I would personally stay away from Main Stage.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=301763
FWIW, Jim Olson stocks them...
Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I have all Gen 2 cases and while they are awesome, I agree with Bruce that they are on the heavy side. I wouldn't mind trying one of the new versions.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yeah, I have all Gen 2 cases and while they are awesome, I agree with Bruce that they are on the heavy side. I wouldn't mind trying one of the new versions.

I just go straight to the top with the Karura product. Lightest & stiffest construction.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

It always was the Accord case that I was interested in, but not one of my customers has ever been willing to pay the price, even though I offer it (as any other case also) at the exact same price as I pay, which is generally better than could be gotten elsewhere. As I have become more aware of the Accord's shortcomings, the Gen3 Hoffee is looking pretty good.

There is a reason I have not used the Karura, but I have forgotten what it is.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just go straight to the top with the Karura product. Lightest & stiffest construction.
How hard are those to get? Seems like with international shipping they wouldn't be cheap?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
How hard are those to get? Seems like with international shipping they wouldn't be cheap?
Current Hoffee pricing shows $1150 + $45-60 shipping.

Current Karura pricing shows $1185 delivered (this is a discounted and free-shipping price on OM sized cases. Dreads are at $1175. Classical cases are not discounted, at $1,249, but still have free shipping).

This is for each company's top-of-the-line/custom-fit case.

Looks like the Karura is less expensive right now. I have two of these coming, for my two new Simon Fay guitars that are in-process. I was willing to pay more, for the lighter and stiffer-construction case...looks like I'll be paying slightly less.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 AM

You seem to be implying that the Karura is superior... But what are you basing that on? I could see weighing two standard sized cases and determining "lightest", but "stiffest"?

I like the Hoffee I bought, but it wasn't my first choice. I tried to get a Cedar Creek (TKL's custom division), but frankly the process was ridiculous (they need somebody who knows their product answering email...). Karura's website was jacked up at the time, Calton was... well, we all know the story... Which left Hiscox and Hoffee. When I called Hoffee, Jeff answered the phone and said he already had a template for a P12, and would have it done in 30 days. Being a small American business owner was icing on the cake.

I think he and Hiscox do the best job "selling" the protective qualities of their product via their videos. Karura's is a little cheesy.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
You seem to be implying that the Karura is superior... But what are you basing that on? I could see weighing two standard sized cases and determining "lightest", but "stiffest"?

<<snip>>

I have had first-hand examinations of the current Karura OM case (I've owned two, still own one), and the current top-end Hoffee (OM & SJ/Dread cases), as examined at a friends home.

The top of the Karura will not flex inward, at all, with full pressure delivered by my hand in the center of the lower bout. The Hoffee will flex inward slightly with this same pressure.

Thus my conclusion that the Karura is stiffer...based on this direct examination.

The two companies differ slightly with interior padding approach...Hoffee takes a Calton-like approach, which is no surprise. The Calton was the example that Hoffee followed when Jim Laffoley took Calton's brand into the trash, and a group of builders helped Hoffee re-work his exterior-molds and also reconfigure how the interior-fitting was done, what materials were used, etc. This group of builders even helped fund the creation of Hoffee's latest molds, so that he could afford to upgrade his product to it's current standard. A very good standard, BTW.

Karura uses a form-fitting approach (as does Hoffee), but with less foam used in areas where it's not necessary. The guitar is held as securely, but with strategic areas of gaps in the foam for an overall lighter weight case...by about 2+ pounds.

Hope this info helps...

Old 05-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The top of the Karura will not flex inward, at all, with full pressure delivered by my hand in the center of the lower bout. The Hoffee will flex inward slightly with this same pressure.
It is my understanding that this is by design as there are two views on how to best protect. Karura prefers to be stiff, Hoffee prefers to have a small amount of deflection to absorb and distribute the impact. Both work exceptionally well, just two different views on how to best protect the instrument. I prefer the Hoffee.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Thus my conclusion that the Karura is stiffer...based on this direct examination.
Thanks for that. I just tested it, and my Hoffee will flex a very slight bit with full weight focused in the center of the lower bout area. I'll take your word on the Karura and your experience with it. I imagine either case would provide adequate protection.

The whole Bankok Department of Science Service "seal of approval" and other tech info (not to mention their video) isn't really doing Karura any favors. A shame, if it's that good. They could take a lesson from Hiscox and Hoffee on how to instill confidence in the potential buyer.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind42 View Post
It is my understanding that this is by design as there are two views on how to best protect. Karura prefers to be stiff, Hoffee prefers to have a small amount of deflection to absorb and distribute the impact. Both work exceptionally well, just two different views on how to best protect the instrument. I prefer the Hoffee.

"Impact" is not the only type of pressure exerted on a case...and I can imagine quite a number of issues in a cargo-hold of an airplane, and other accidents during different types of transport.

You say potato, and I say po-tah-to...and I agree that both work well...and that we're each entitled to our choices, and for reasons relating to this one issue *and* beyond...

Quote:
Thanks for that. I just tested it, and my Hoffee will flex a very slight bit with full weight focused in the center of the lower bout area. I'll take your word on the Karura and your experience with it. I imagine either case would provide adequate protection.

Quite so, in agreement with you latter comment.

Quote:
The whole Bankok Department of Science Service "seal of approval" and other tech info (not to mention their video) isn't really doing Karura any favors. A shame, if it's that good. They could take a lesson from Hiscox and Hoffee on how to instill confidence in the potential buyer.

I've never reviewed the things you're referring to...that said, I do dislike hokey-marketing claims...having the hands-on experience was all I ever looked for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop