The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Great idea!
I'm thinking of coming out with my "bridge pin adapter system", designed to capture the affect of titanium pins.
It's a penny with a strip of masking tape.
Only cost you $25 plus shipping.
Ah, there's always a catch! That sounded like a good deal, until you mentioned "shipping"
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Kevin's pins were about $120.. you can try this site.

http://www.tisonix.com/shopping/main...roducts_id=180

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18

Last edited by moga; 01-13-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I hope I didn't lead this thread down the wrong path!

I would LOVE to hear the titanium bridge pins in an A/B test with a guitar or two of mine.

I understand the cost of titanium and the expensive process of producing the pins.

I'm just one of those guys that thinks Elixir strings are a bit pricey - so when I saw $120 for the pins I was just shocked.

That doesn't mean they aren't worth it. I'm also one of those guys that if I tried it and loved it - I would figure out a way to afford it.

All the best to Kevin and ALL his projects!

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 01-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
How are these different from the Tisonix titanium pins that are $68?
Jason, Kevin's pins have the added benefit of a wee bevel w/flutes for even greater sustain and transmission of tone. Plus a micro engraved "R" logo on the very tip of the pin. Worth the extra $52? You betcha!

Actually, Kevin describes the differences on his site:http://www.advancedshelltech.com/Pro...ridgePins.html

He writes: "The only thing that remained to discuss was the design—neither Bob nor I were particularly taken with the shape of the pin. It was fine but I wanted something different. And besides, I like putting my own artistic varnish on things. So I asked the Tech if they would be willing to make them to my own proprietary design and specs. They were, so I came up with a design that I liked more, sent them the CAD file and they did a masterful job. We have a two-tone plasma coating on the head that approximates a black chrome finish, a recess that further reduces weight (and also accommodates a 4mm shell dot inlay if desired) and a low-profile head that is very pleasing to the eye. Without the shell inlay, they have a hi-tech appearance I really like. And with the shell dot (paua, Mother-of-Pearl, black Tahitian pearl, green sea snail, etc.) they have a lovely and unique look."

Last edited by Bevelsnob; 01-13-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Ha! In that case you better order a few sets!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM

anyone have any updates of these pins...and how they have used it..what are your thoughts
Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM

I have them in my Paradiso and I like them alot. I preferred Ebony in my Cathedrals. I couldn't try them in my Nightingales since those have pinless bridges.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 PM

i have brass pins in my carvin, theyre definitely heavy and i noticed a big difference sustain wise

2006Carvin Cobalt 750
2003 Taylor 214
Washburn 125th Anniversary Parlor
ESP EC-1000
Schecter C1 Classic
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 AM

Default Bell like sound

Yes, Ryan's titan pins make super long sustain as well as bell like sound.

If you want to have bell like sound on your guitar. It is for you.

I like it with Elixer strings on my Froggy.

I hope it would help.

Blessings,

David
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Titanium is an acquired taste, I guess. I'm not going to comment on the price, because stuff like that is *always* in the eye (and pocket) of the beholder.

The aerospace and many other industrial applications of Ti make it an interesting choice for ornamentation on a guitar. As a huge fan of the material, I would certainly consider it for bridge pins, and I wonder how it would work for fret material too... That said, I"m not sure the hardness is right for steel string guitars. Also, if you're not an industrial "geek" like I think I am, Ti is probably not for you. And, of course we're talking about sound transmission here. Very cool (and no comment from me without hearing them). I wonder if these can be made hollow rather than solid... They could likely be very light in that case, if someone wanted to go through the effort to fashion them that way.

In any case, I never give up an opportunity to veer and show off my bicycle frame (from Merlin) which I lusted after for years on my local bike shop's wall... Finally, I had to have it. Ti is elegant for bike frames because it's way stronger than aluminum and can thus be fashioned into much thinner tubing for sufficient durability, and it's way lighter than steel. This sucker was maybe a couple of pounds (really!) before it was adorned with gear. Amazing, really. It's an alloy of Titanium. I don't know about Kevin's bridge pins -- I assume those are alloy as well. Well, I don't know why, but I can't seem to make this link show up directly as a picture, but you should be able to follow it to see it.

Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 08-20-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstone Guitars View Post
I have seen them and tried them before Kevin even decided to use them. Kevin does a lot of research before making any claims. I have heard the difference....Its good stuff.
My experience with Kevin is that he is an ultra intellect and is constantly pushing the envelope to stretch things a bit further. I have no doubt what he says is the case is so.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop