The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-05-2024, 09:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
The guitar on the right certainly looks like Purpleheart—and it’s a beauty.
Like Jamie, I would like to see more of these, it makes such a stunning guitar.
Best of luck at the show!

Steve

Thanks Steve!
Old 05-05-2024, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Ill be there doing some demos for BAILIE GUITARS

I liked this one so much it ended up being trapped in my studio with no way out!!

Old 05-06-2024, 04:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whitman View Post
I’ll be there. It will be my first time displaying at this show. I attended last year and it was a nice event, well organized and so many great luthiers! Really looking forward to meeting everyone.

I’m doing my final setup on these, this week. Just 12 days to go.

If you have more time Deception Pass and Washington Park are close by and beautiful places to camp or day hike.

Those two guitars are exceptionally pretty. I too particularly like the Purple Heart. The black binding and neck are a perfect choice to complement the purple. Looks like a Baltimore Ravens color scheme.

The first guitar my brother Steve and I saw that was luthier made, some 40 years ago, give or take, was a padouk guitar trimmed out in Purple Heart. Sounds bilous but it worked and set us both on the road of guitar making. I'm looking forward to meeting you and playing this beauty.

BTW, the last time I was at the LaConner Show I walked part way across that bridge over Deception Pass. It got scary with the trucks so close to the walkway and the bridge shaking with each truck and I chickened out. Beautiful area.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Those two guitars are exceptionally pretty. I too particularly like the Purple Heart. The black binding and neck are a perfect choice to complement the purple. Looks like a Baltimore Ravens color scheme.

The first guitar my brother Steve and I saw that was luthier made, some 40 years ago, give or take, was a padouk guitar trimmed out in Purple Heart. Sounds bilous but it worked and set us both on the road of guitar making. I'm looking forward to meeting you and playing this beauty.

BTW, the last time I was at the LaConner Show I walked part way across that bridge over Deception Pass. It got scary with the trucks so close to the walkway and the bridge shaking with each truck and I chickened out. Beautiful area.

Thanks John!
I’ve been inspired many times by you and your brother’s amazing creations over my years of lurking on this forum. I look forward to meeting both of you and would be honored to have you play my guitars. I would love to hear any feedback you can offer.

At first I thought my idea of building with this set of Purpleheart might be a little crazy. But my wife encouraged me to go for it and I’m glad I did. It won’t be my last. Interesting the first guitar I built a decade ago was padouk. I that red and purple guitar must have been amazing.

I don’t blame you on turning back on Deception Pass sometimes the trucks are scared of that bridge. Especially on a windy day.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks John!
I’ve been inspired many times by you and your brother’s amazing creations over my years of lurking on this forum. I look forward to meeting both of you and would be honored to have you play my guitars. I would love to hear any feedback you can offer.

At first I thought my idea of building with this set of Purpleheart might be a little crazy. But my wife encouraged me to go for it and I’m glad I did. It won’t be my last. Interesting the first guitar I built a decade ago was padouk. I that red and purple guitar must have been amazing.

I don’t blame you on turning back on Deception Pass sometimes the trucks are scared of that bridge. Especially on a windy day.

Back when I was a bit younger I rode my bicycle back from Friday Harbor taking the ferry to Anacortes and then riding from there over that bridge and across Whidbey island to take another ferry and then ride back to Kirkland.

Beautiful area but that ride was pretty hardcore.

I've also taken my sailboat through the pass a number of times under the bridge and the whirlpools make for for an interesting ride as the boat suddenly swerves 90 degrees from your intended course.

Nature can be pretty spectacular sometimes!
Old 05-06-2024, 09:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks John!

Good grief. You can see the chain that separates the pedestrian walk from the road. Absolutely no protection. Imagine the existential thoughts going through that truck drivers head.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Back when I was a bit younger I rode my bicycle back from Friday Harbor taking the ferry to Anacortes and then riding from there over that bridge and across Whidbey island to take another ferry and then ride back to Kirkland.

Beautiful area but that ride was pretty hardcore.

I've also taken my sailboat through the pass a number of times under the bridge and the whirlpools make for for an interesting ride as the boat suddenly swerves 90 degrees from your intended course.

Nature can be pretty spectacular sometimes!
That sounds like an incredible bike tour. Envious I am.
I had forgotten about the whirlpools. What an amazing and unforgiving location
Old 05-06-2024, 12:27 PM

Default No mention of LaConner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Good grief. You can see the chain that separates the pedestrian walk from the road. Absolutely no protection. Imagine the existential thoughts going through that truck drivers head.

Living on Whidbey, it seems to be a regular occurrence that as soon as a repair or improvement is done, something like this happens. This one happened right after a two year project of painting and replacing old bolts and stuff. It was during a massive windstorm that took out the electricity transmission line to the island (it took 48 hours to repair). I feel for those truck drivers. Folks looking at cell phones/taking pictures regularly hit the posts. One walks on that to their own risk. As a driver, each time I see a person sticking their arm out into the road to talk a selfie or their child wandering about without being supervised I feel the dread.
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 05-06-2024, 12:30 PM

Have to say, these posts are not a big enticement to visit or even cross that bridge....Maybe I won't go.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Have to say, these posts are not a big enticement to visit or even cross that bridge....Maybe I won't go.

One doesn’t need to cross that bridge to get to LaConner. That bridge connects Whidbey Island to Fidalgo Island which has a bridge to the mainland.
Fender FA100
Yamaha LS16M
Old 05-06-2024, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I have crossed the bridge many times, over under, foot, bicycle car and boat with no issues. It is actually a year round semi tourist attraction but particularly in the summer.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have crossed the bridge many times, over under, foot, bicycle car and boat with no issues. It is actually a year round semi tourist attraction but particularly in the summer.
OK, I will see ya there then.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Smile Happens all the time…

Quote:
Originally Posted by koine2002 View Post
Living on Whidbey, it seems to be a regular occurrence that as soon as a repair or improvement is done, something like this happens. This one happened right after a two year project of painting and replacing old bolts and stuff. It was during a massive windstorm that took out the electricity transmission line to the island (it took 48 hours to repair). I feel for those truck drivers. Folks looking at cell phones/taking pictures regularly hit the posts. One walks on that to their own risk. As a driver, each time I see a person sticking their arm out into the road to talk a selfie or their child wandering about without being supervised I feel the dread.
Not just in your neighborhood! I see crazy stuff often here in San Diego county
I will NOT ride my bike in high traffic areas. People are getting more distracted all the time, IMO.

Fortunately I live in the back country where there are “roads less traveled “

Have a fun time at this show

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-06-2024, 10:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yup, I will be there hanging out with Bear. It'll be my first time exhibiting, so come by and say Hi.
Instagram | Youtube
Old 05-07-2024, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes it’s Purpleheart, you can see the build as it came together in my thread Madrona Guitars. It’s been a fun build, this set has some exceptional color and figure. It sounds amazing too I might add.

The other one is all Koa, with Cocobolo as a secondary wood for binding and fretboard.
Wowzers! You’re not messing around, Joe! Beauties!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop