The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2010, 11:20 PM

Here's a guy playing an Electric Guitar. I thought the target market was mainly vocalists...

http://www.bagamp.com/index.php

I think I've been clear about making up my mind about the BagAmp, based on (lack of) features, which is NOT speculation, and I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it (lessee now, who else said that....)

Hey, trying a SoloAmp OR a Bose should be relatively easy by now, so search your local music store for enlightenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Now you've completely lost me, Chuck. What the heck does that have to do with anything?

In the interests of full disclosure, I've never heard a Bose L series, a SoloAmp or a BagAmp. I may have penned one or two slightly skeptical posts about Jack and his endeavour early on in the saga, but he's quietened that doubt by delivering the product, and remaining calm, courteous and professional in the face of quite vigorous and often uninformed criticism.

I think the honest thing to do would be for you to just stop endlessly speculating, and with all due respect, either a) be honest enough to admit that you've already made up your mind about the BagAmp, based on said speculation, or b) refrain from commenting further until you've actually heard one.

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-14-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 PM

Actually, though, I realize that I have kind of hijacked this thread. I am now outta here, unless someone draws me back in, and I have to defend myself with my usual blazing wit and charm.

Ciao, and enjoy your amps, whatever they are......
Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
I think I've been clear about making up my mind about the BagAmp, based on (lack of) features, which is NOT speculation.
Chuck you must know as an "audio guy" that's kinda crazy yes?

The Vox AC-15 amp by ANY standard in the industry is virtually featureless. I'm thankful I wasn't foolhearty enough to subscribe to that mindset.

When I settled on an AC-15 all those years ago it was in the middle of the Steve Lukather refridgerator rack days. I plugged into this tiny little 15 watt amplifier and FROM THAT MOMENT began my plotting as to how I was going to "adjust" my style and ditch my rack so that I could incorporate what (IMHO) is the single greatest sounding guitar amp ever produced. To this day I've never heard an amp I like better while the AC-15 still remains....featureless.

Making audio decisions before hearing something (no matter the feature set) will at some point limit your ability to expand your toolbox.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
I had a long reply to this (being an ex-computational physicist myself SB Research Center and General Research, but tore it up in cyberspace - just want to say that I am VERY skeptical about such technical analysis (even if not techno-babble-market-speak) being applied to differences between the "false" Bose, the "fake" SA and "pure" BA line arrays.

Such a difference is kind of like discussing the differences between really high end and expensive guitar cables, even granting that some (including me) can't tell the differences between those and coat hangers.....

REMEMBER THE TWEETER (not to mention three-band EQ, S/R, DI, Reverb, Anti-Feedback, Aux In, Phase, etc.(?)) .......

I gotta admit, though, that I'm impressed by Bob's Line Array on the other forum..... I just wonder where he puts the jet fuel.....
I'm sure you could have devoted a sentence or two to explaining why you are "very skeptical about such technical analysis". To express skepticism without offering any hint as to the reason is valueless.

Since you brought up the tweeter, if the SoloAmp is capable of creating a line array effect, it would only be able to accomplish that up to 4 kHz, the crossover point of the tweeter. Above that, all frequencies are reproduced by a single driver so there is no line array effect for the upper frequency band. Furthermore, the placement of the tweeter may disrupt the line array effect by creating too much of a physical separation between two of the woofers.

The Bose, SoloAmp and BagAmp all have rather different designs. The Bose L1 Model II is a two cabinet design; one with 24, 2.25-inch speakers; the other with a pair of 5.25-inch speakers using a 180 Hz crossover point. The SoloAmp is a single cabinet design with 6, 4-inch speakers and 1, 1-inch speaker using a 4 kHz crossover point. That BagAmp, also a single cabinet design, has 8, 3-inch full-range drivers. Likening such disparate designs to different brands of wire is inapt and much more simplistic than one would expect from you.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Some day I hope to understand why these sound systems stir up so much emotion. These "stick systems" seem to evoke a vehemence, either for or against, that I don't sense with other gear.

I try to look at them as different vehicles to get music to people who might enjoy listening to that music but I admit that I can sure get passionate in the defense of my Bose.

I recently had what I thought was the beginning of a good professional relationship with a rep for a company whose products I use, love and tell everyone about. He even invited me to join him in the booth at the NAMM show if I could make the travel work. But once he found out I use his products through a Bose system he cut off all communication! Like I said, there is something about these systems....

Matt
Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 AM

It's almost like we are making people play graphite guitars. Oh my.

I agree there are many amps people and discuss use without causing this same rancor. The same thing happens when an acoustic guitar company makes an electric. Some go nutty. Really what is the problem with change?

I am glad there is more than one portable PA.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Very interesting and accurate point Matthew! I bet many of us have had the same thought.

On the Bose board, there's a very nice guy, good friend of mine (we've even performed together!), who has made a point, TWICE, of saying that he thinks the Solo "looks bad", and that the Compact "looks so much better, classier" - pretty much annoys me, but I refuse to mention the Solo over on that forum - it's not worth the crucifixion. (Yes, I think completely the opposite! :-)

I just KNOW that my Solo, and pre-amp rig, and guitars sound and look great, for me, and I'm delirious with what I have. I am happy to speak in favor of my choices and why I made them, when appropriate. Life's too short for anything past that... arguing with people on the internet I'll probably never meet is not high on my list.

Best, Mike
Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM

Well I personally think the SoloAmp is the better looking of the three and I'm gonna go to the Bose forum to tell them so!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Delete Post???

Last edited by MikeTX; 01-15-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Delete Duplicate
Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 PM

HA! You'll be a HUGE hit over there, with that!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Bob, there is no way the Bose L1 is not more attractive than the SoloAmp. Especially after I knitted a 6' long, 4" diameter sweater with buttons the covers the speakers on mine. And did I mention the derby?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:34 PM

I think all 3 look cool ..Bose, SA, BA..(especially in and around my humble abode) and I use wood and carbon fiber guitars and all sorts of none plastic and metal and whatever keyboards and things ..no ivory or strings.. and electronic hand drums and wind controllers and real flutes and saxes... guess I am sorta non denominational or just a generalist of some sort.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towzer View Post
Folks just my 2 cents here

I own a Bagamp and will order the sub when its available in a couple of weeks

It has been well worth the wait as a solo guitarist / singer in front of 50-100 people

The BA alone has been fantastic and really worth the wait

I am not knocking or degrading any of the following brands , but for me the sound propegation , not just on acoustic but also on vocals was very impressive
I got a really good sense of the propegation things yesterday at NAMM. The booth is in an area where the booths are about 10' wide. While someone else played and sang, I stood across the isle and on a (about) 45 degree angle to the amp. This is, of course, in a very noisey environment...the are two electric guitar/amps in close vicinity. It was first time hearing vocals through the amp. The sound coverage of the area was EXCELLENT. Again, I was perhaps 25' from the amp in a loud area, and quite off axis, and the sound was very impressive. The sub sounds very good. As of when I left on Thursday, the mixer had not yet arrived. The booth is getting good attention from passers by. I played for an hour right at the start of the show, then for about 45 min later, and then for about a half hour still later. Good fun and Jack is a very nice, very professional person. I wasn't in attendance today (Friday) as I had to go to work (fun day at work; playing two tunes for 400 people in our new theater!), and now I'll be back at the show for all day Saturday, playing as often as Jack wants me to and also taking in the show. Will hear LJ, Ed Gerhard, I'm supposed to meet up with Tony McManus, and I hope to hear Martin Simpson for the first time. Then in the evening, I go to Pasadena to hear Mark Hanson and Doug Smith, two of my favorite people and players. Good, exhausing, fun!

Jenn
Old 01-16-2010, 06:57 AM

Too bad about the mixer, I've been waiting for your report on that and the sub. I've already asked a music store to save a sub for me when they come in. It's good to hear a little reassurance that I made the right move.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:58 AM

I can imagine the BA sub will be a nice benefit.. I put a keyboard stereo into a Mackie mixer ... right side into one channel with it's own EQing and into the BA and left into another channel and into a Roland Cub 100 bass amp and I like it a lot more with the bottom. I'll do some acoustic guitar and some sax and horns (via WX5 and VL70m Patchman chipped) later after some other guys do some testing today.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification