The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Any boxing fans?

For old fans who haven't kept up, a historic event occurred yesterday when Ukraine's Olexander Usyk defeated the UK's Tyson Fury in the first heavyweight unification in 24 years. They both went into the fight undefeated. Usyk was a successful cruiserweight who really didn't belong in the modern era of HW giants. He gave up 40lbs and several inches to Fury. But, Usyk is probably the most technical HW I've ever seen and adapted throughout the fight to drop Fury and win a decision victory. Fury was considered to be the best of this HW renaissance era.

If you're curious, it's worth a look-up on YouTube. It really was incredible and has the sport buzzing. It wasn't a brawl, nor was it a boring technical fight. It was a war of adaption and attrition.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

It's going to be interesting how things proceed from here. Usyk is 37 and Fury is 35. I wonder if Deontay Wilder will get a shot at the title, or if there will be a rematch. I watched some of the highlights and it looked like Usyk came very close to knocking Fury out. I also heard later that Usyk suffered a broken jaw in the fight. Split decision to me means it could have gone either way. Hopefully the full fight will be available in a few months on YouTube.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:44 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I was a fight fan starting back in the 70s when I was a kid. I started losing interest after the Tyson era ended. Since then, to me, it's just not compelling anymore. It's too much hype and too little actual drama. All of the rankings are bogus these days. There is nothing that resembles a real 'sports league'. It doesn't seem like fighters really 'earn their way' any more. They are curated and guided into the rankings to try and generate marketable matchups.

Like most sports these days, boxing is sports entertainment first. The 'fight your way to the top' days are pretty much over.

Again, just my opinion... and I hope it doesn't come across as old man 'get off my lawn' opinion. I think it's a real thing.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:54 PM

I love the sport, but not how it’s run. I catch the more interesting and competitive fights. I hope there will be a rematch of last night’s matchup, though I don’t know if Fury still has the desire to get serious again. He’s a head case, very talented, but unlike Usyk, he often fights well below his potential.

I can hardly imagine the US producing a legit heavyweight champ again, which saddens me a little. The best big body athletes choose other sports.

Usyk is phenomenal, but he’s basically a cruiserweight and I can’t help thinking that the best version of Fury would handle him.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:17 PM

Guess that was the real fight to this point in 2024, now it's on to wait for the Paul vs Tyson to fight 2 minute rounds and shorter overall fight to 8 rounds for a PPV event with no title implications ?
Old 05-19-2024, 07:37 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I won't be paying to watch the Tyson/Paul fight, but I don't begrudge Mike from making money on this... and we all know that's all it is... just a money fight.

If you didn't see his Undisputed Truth show, it's worth the time. He impressed me a lot, and his life story is pretty amazing.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:45 PM

Default Fans?

As a kid in the 50's I'd watch the Gillette Friday Night Fights with my Dad. That was special because it was me and my Dad and the talent pool wasn't as thinned out as in this day and age.
I would say that pure boxing is a rare event. But a fan...of the old timers!
Old 05-19-2024, 09:45 PM

While I enjoy watching other forms of martial arts, there is something special about a good boxing match where the fighters have trained hard, have good skills and don't dance around the ring clinching and rabbit punching.

With all the other forms of martial arts, it seems boxing will continue to bring fans in.

When I was a kid we watched the great bouts over the air. All the boys in the neighborhood would talk about the fights. My dad loved boxing.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

My dad (a talented artist and musician) boxed semi-pro in the 1940s and got me interested enough in the 60s to train at the community center 3 nights a week after school. Boys don't "practice" boxing, even with a coach refereeing. We were all out for blood whenever we "sparred." I had a constant concussion the entire 3-4 years I was at it. Didn't enjoy "living in the fog" 24/7, so I eventually stopped going.

Today, I feel some nagging uneasiness when I can't recall a name or find a screwdriver I was using just a few minutes ago. Maybe that's normal for 68, who knows? I can still defend myself (though I dread the thought of turning an ungloved guitar hand into a maraca on some threatening guy's skull in a dust-up). Pounding on a heavy bag hanging in the garage is a good way to work up a sweat and keep the heart racing.

I'm not sure why (because I don't know anything about Jake Paul), but I want to see Mike Tyson win their upcoming match. Perhaps I'm just rooting for the old guy? Villainous past antics aside, Tyson is fascinating (scary) in the ring. Whoever comes out on top, I hope it's decisive. Can't stand watching everyone second-guessing a nebulous, wishy-washy decision.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-20-2024 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:24 AM

The best boxing used to be bouts between welterweights, middleweights, light heavyweights. Doesn't seem much going on there these days. Ali was the last heavyweight who could actually box. IMO.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
The best boxing used to be bouts between welterweights, middleweights, light heavyweights. Doesn't seem much going on there these days. Ali was the last heavyweight who could actually box. IMO.
Frank, you might be interested in a book I "read" (blazed through on audiobook) a couple months ago.
Killing the Legends: The Lethal Danger of Celebrity
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/59808309

Like him or not (I do as an author), Bill O'Reilly is a thorough and concise historian recounting the background details we might've missed as Elvis Presley, John Lennon and Muhammad Ali came to their respective ends. Larger than life all three, tarnished deities to be sure.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-20-2024 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:53 PM

I was a fan in the 70’s and 80’s (I mean the whole Ali/Frazier hype!). It was an entertaining time for the sport because of the personalities.

And then Boom Boom Mancini killed that kid in the Vegas heat on live TV. That ended it for me as I finally realized the purpose of the sport is to beat your opponent unconscious. Suddenly, It didn’t seem very gentlemanly.

Virtually zero interest now.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post

Usyk can definitely box.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:18 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Holyfield could box. Lennox Lewis could box. There have been some genuine straight-up boxers since Ali. I think Tyson was a legit boxer, though he was always a puncher first.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Holyfield could box. Lennox Lewis could box. There have been some genuine straight-up boxers since Ali. I think Tyson was a legit boxer, though he was always a puncher first.
Lewis was good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic