The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-18-2024, 03:28 PM

Default Question about the finish on my Emerald

I love that my carbon fiber guitar is not affected by humidity and temperature. What about the finish?

If I took the guitar from a warm indoor room and brought it outside where it is very cold, would that sudden shift in temperature and humidity cause the finish to check, like it would on a wood guitar?
Old 05-18-2024, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeorge View Post
I love that my carbon fiber guitar is not affected by humidity and temperature. What about the finish?

If I took the guitar from a warm indoor room and brought it outside where it is very cold, would that sudden shift in temperature and humidity cause the finish to check, like it would on a wood guitar?
You don’t have anything to worry about. The finish should be impervious to just about anything - except, perhaps, extreme heat, but if it’s that hot, the rest of the guitar might not be very well either It’s nitro finishes that are prone to the cracking.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-18-2024, 03:37 PM

It’s usually the nitro finishes on wood guitars that get checking. The finish on the Emeralds is a poly, should be fine. It’s pretty durable against day-to-day handling from playing, but if you knock it hard enough or rub it against something abrasive (like the ground at an outdoor gig!) it will scratch. So you should still treat your Emerald with respect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber