The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2024, 05:04 PM

Default Capos - looking at the Shubb for Godin 5th Avenue

Hey everyone, I do classic Chicago blues stuff so use a capo a lot so I can do low bass parts and also finger pick stuff. I currently use a kyser knock off and it puts me out of tune a lot. My worry about the Shubb is I’ve heard from some people is if you use it around the 5-7 fret it might be too small pad wise. Sometimes I play A or B wanting to use E shaped chords verse A shapes so play way up there with a capo. Could anyone confirm if the pad would be long enough on an archtop style guitar? I see they make a 12 string variant, but not sure if that would be okay to use?
Old 05-14-2024, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I like Planet Waves NS capos. I have a few. Easy to use. Not bulky. Good reach across the fretboard. Typically not overpriced

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-14-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
Hey everyone, I do classic Chicago blues stuff so use a capo a lot so I can do low bass parts and also finger pick stuff. I currently use a kyser knock off and it puts me out of tune a lot. My worry about the Shubb is I’ve heard from some people is if you use it around the 5-7 fret it might be too small pad wise. Sometimes I play A or B wanting to use E shaped chords verse A shapes so play way up there with a capo. Could anyone confirm if the pad would be long enough on an archtop style guitar? I see they make a 12 string variant, but not sure if that would be okay to use?
I'm a long time Shubb user. The wider 12 string Shubb might be a good match for you, depending on how wide your guitar neck is.

If you're close with the standard Shubb you can get a bit more serviceable width by replacing the standard pad with the wider one. The replacement pads are available from Shubb and many retailers. Elderly used to keep a wicker basket of them at the front counter.

Although I've used Shubbs for decades I'd say there are some good options as alternatives. The Shubb can have a habit of springing loose with only a small bump, so there's that. It also really requires years of practice if you're looking to develop the technique for how to apply it to get clear notes without pulling the strings sharp.

I have a long history of purchasing capos (and other accessories...) to find the best options, so I'm speaking from practical experience.

My new favorite is the Dunlop Pivot capo. It's easy to move around, easy to find the exact amount of pressure to apply, and is a long-lasting quality piece of hardware.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-14-2024 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:32 PM

Planet Waves Shubb works on my Kingpin
Old 05-14-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
Some new collaboration?
Old 05-15-2024, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

I have the regular S1, and I just measured the width of the pad on mine at 1-15/16" wide, and it works fine down to the 7th fret. But there's not much margin for error for placement down there width-wise, so you have to be pretty careful with the placement. If I was going to be regularly playing below the 5th fret, I'd get the 12-string model, which is 1/4" wider I think.

They are only about $20, so I'd be tempted to just get both and call it good. They are excellent capos and work great.

Last edited by GoPappy; 05-15-2024 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
Can you place them on the 7th fret?
Old 05-15-2024, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I like Planet Waves NS capos. I have a few. Easy to use. Not bulky. Good reach across the fretboard. Typically not overpriced
I like these too ..
Old 05-15-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
Can you place them on the 7th fret?
D'Addario NS Artist Capo

Works on my Yamaha FSX3 on the 11th fret, 2-1/16" 53mm. I like the way the grip is oriented up and out of the way of your hand, and the tension is adjustable.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I don't understand all the capo hubbub , especially why some of them cost what they do. I've been using a G7 Nashville capo for about 20 years. It works fine on all my guitars even up to 7-8th fret. I tried other capos but they're too strong. The G7 applies just the right amount of pressure with no sharp notes, etc. it was a gift so I've spent literally $0 on capos.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:19 PM

Shubb calls the rubber that contacts the strings - sleeves. They come in 2 widths, 2"(steel string) and 2 and 1/4"(classical or 12 string). Simple fretboard measurements at the highest fret you want to capo at will tell you which model to get. The other factor is fretboard radius. In most cases a 2" wide Shubb will fit at the 7th fret on steel string guitars(except 12 string guitars).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars