The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2024, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I felt my FGX5 neck was slimmer than that of my L series. I'd try several on for size before rushing out to change guitars.

I do agree with the bit about the profile being off and not liking it later. I had that experience with a Cole Clark. Loved everything (else) about the guitar, but hated the neck profile. Capo, strings, setup, nothing helped.
Yamaha's copy on the LL16 says "The 5-ply mahogany/rosewood neck sports not only a smooth-playing ebony fretboard, but also a new, slimmer neck shape and an enhanced fingerboard edge."

Other players here have said the neck profile on the LL16 is a lot thinner than the F-series at the top while still having the 1.75" nut and the same spring spacing. I guess I'll just have to try it to see for sure.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:17 AM

Default a thought

Central Maine. Wow. Ain't much of nothing there! Not much choice in shopping. I hope it all works out.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:57 AM

OP, how do you like the feel of modern Martin necks? I agree with you about the Yamaha FG3 / FG5 neck feel... it's a bit chunky feeling. Personally, I think that the Martin MLO neck on my Special 16 feels much more comfortable
Old 05-16-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith28 View Post
OP, how do you like the feel of modern Martin necks? I agree with you about the Yamaha FG3 / FG5 neck feel... it's a bit chunky feeling. Personally, I think that the Martin MLO neck on my Special 16 feels much more comfortable
Hmm. You might be on to something. I don't think I've seen the Special 16 in my research. I've played a friend's D-28 (I think it was) and liked it a lot. Maybe I need to give this one a try. Same price ballpark. Thanks.
I wish it was the 25" scale like the FG5. How do you like the scale length of your Special 16, may I ask?
Old 05-16-2024, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I have both an FS5 and an LS16. The LS16 neck feels chunkier than the FS5. I think as others have said, you need a setup!
Old 05-16-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurroz View Post
I have both an FS5 and an LS16. The LS16 neck feels chunkier than the FS5. I think as others have said, you need a setup!
Sigh. But thanks for the information. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

I don't think a setup is going to make that much of a difference. I just don't like the neck profile of the FG5. It's too chunky. I'll probably look at Taylors, but they don't really do the dreadnought style that I'd prefer with a 1.75" nut and low profile.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfarmer View Post
Hmm. You might be on to something. I don't think I've seen the Special 16 in my research. I've played a friend's D-28 (I think it was) and liked it a lot. Maybe I need to give this one a try. Same price ballpark. Thanks.
I wish it was the 25" scale like the FG5. How do you like the scale length of your Special 16, may I ask?
I have owned both shorter and longer scale acoustics and can't say that I have a strong preference for any particular scale length. As someone who plays fingerstyle and with a pick in equal proportions, my main criteria are that the guitar sounds great unplugged, that it has a 1 3/4" nut width with ample string spacing, and that it's a dreadnought. I have spent the past 3-4 years on a quest to try as many different models as possible and have churned through 55-60 guitars during the process. This includes higher end models such as two HD-28's, a D-18, and a Gibson J45. Even ignoring price, nothing I've tried has compared favorably to the pair of Special 16's that I currently own. They feel & sound identical to an HD-28, come with a pickup (which I rarely use), and cost significantly less. I think I've stumbled upon my "affordable holy grail" guitar. ��
Old 05-16-2024, 02:10 PM

Walden used to make guitars with super slim necks. Seagull S6 Slim is another option, but neither of those options will sound as good as the Yamaha.

I have an LL16 and an FS3 which is in my hands as I type this. The FS3 isn't really a thick neck and it should be the same as the FS5 neck right? Maybe just give it some time.

The FS3 I have is brand new and the action is way to high at the nut. Yours might have the same problem as others have mentioned. My LL16 action at the nut could also be lowered. Not sure why Yamaha doesn't consistently set up these guitars better.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
The FS3 isn't really a thick neck and it should be the same as the FS5 neck right?
Correct, they have the same profile.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fg5, fingerstyle, neck, yamaha