The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2024, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Well, congratulations on a terrific 12-string for a very reasonable price! Good for you!

- Glenn
Old 05-04-2024, 09:10 PM

What guage strings is everyone using on these? I have a set of Martin strings that go up to '54, but I'm not sure if I even want to try them out. Definitely need to decide this before it goes in for a setup.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:54 PM

Default Entering the world of 12 strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonA View Post
What guage strings is everyone using on these? I have a set of Martin strings that go up to '54, but I'm not sure if I even want to try them out. Definitely need to decide this before it goes in for a setup.

Congrats on the new 12er. The string gauges depend on how you tune. 10-47 sets are great for standard E to E tuning at concert pitch. You can use the same strings and go down about 1/2 step to Eb before they get a bit too floppy. If you want to go down to D-D, consider the 11-50 sets. Or, the 12-53 sets. The Martin FX strings have thinner cores, and have a 54 on the bottom. They are good for 1/2 step or 1 full step down. Might be a bit too high tension for standard. If I recall they were over 300lbs. ~260lbs or so for standard tuning on 10-47 sets.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonA View Post
I use coated 12 string lights {.010 - .047} on all my 12 string guitars and tune them down a semi-tone to 'D#'. Elixirs or D'Addario XS, depending on what the guitar likes best.

Been playing 12 string guitars since the 60's, when the gospel was to tune down to 'D' to avoid neck problems. Old habits die hard I guess.

Haven't had to do a neck re-set yet, have broken very few octave 'g' strings, and my old hands appreciate the slightly lesser tension. And the guitar has a bit more of a 'growl' to it.

I understand about doing a set-up based on proposed tension, but a reliable tech can always fiddle it a bit to make slight changes in the future if necessary.

Remember, it's now your guitar, your hands, and your ears that should be involved in these decisions. Whatever you decide, go with it for a while and enjoy the aural candy provided by the solid spruce/rosewood Jumbo body.

(_o)==###

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-05-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
I use coated 12 string lights {.010 - .047} on all my 12 string guitars and tune them down a semi-tone to 'D#'. Elixirs or D'Addario XS, depending on what the guitar likes best.

Been playing 12 string guitars since the 60's, when the gospel was to tune down to 'D' to avoid neck problems. Old habits die hard I guess.

Haven't had to do a neck re-set yet, have broken very few octave 'g' strings, and my old hands appreciate the slightly lesser tension. And the guitar has a bit more of a 'growl' to it.

I understand about doing a set-up based on proposed tension, but a reliable tech can always fiddle it a bit to make slight changes in the future if necessary.

Remember, it's now your guitar, your hands, and your ears that should be involved in these decisions. Whatever you decide, go with it for a while and enjoy the aural candy provided by the solid spruce/rosewood Jumbo body.

(_o)==###

Be well and play well,

Don
I absolutely agree about going with what seems best to my ears and feel. But I know that when the nut is being addressed, a good tech will set it up differently for a set of thicker strings than they would for lighter ones. So I just need to figure out what I like.
I appreciate the feedback everyone has given. It's helping a lot!
Old 05-10-2024, 03:55 AM

Just received the f-1512 back from the luthier yesterday. It's got a really nice setup now and I can honestly say it's probably my favorite guitar to play at this current time.
The issues that needed addressed in the setup were the nut slots (as mentioned) and it also had a wierd thing going on with the saddle where a groove had formed out of place and the 2 high E strings were a bit further apart from each other than they should have been. I pointed this out to him when I dropped it off and he agreed. He refinished the top of the saddle to fix this and also installed an LR Baggs Anthem.
When I picked it up, he mentioned that he set the action lower than usual for 12 strings because as he kept taking it lower... it kept handling it.
He also said that this particular Guild reminds him of the Guilds of yesteryear in its construction, and the way it feels and sounds.
I'm very happy with it!
Old 05-10-2024, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Excellent ending to your 12-string story! It illustrates the value of a good setup.

- Glenn
Old 05-10-2024, 10:54 AM

ShannonA,

Good to see a happy ending to your story.

Be well and enjoy the guitar.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-10-2024, 01:08 PM

Default Entering the world of 12 strings

I played a Guild F1215 when I went into the shop to get a new saddle and setup on my Tacoma F512. I nearly bought the thing as it played and sounded so good. I went as far as to retrieve mine to compare them acoustically. Hard to beat a 25 year old guitar. But, it’s likely the best option available today for around $1000. Note: the 1512 model has a thinner neck than my Tacoma, which caught my attention. It’s easier to play.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-10-2024 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:27 AM

I've been a solid Martin guy for years. I'm not saying I like this Guild more than my D18, but it's not a lesser guitar either.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:49 PM

Hi. Was perusing this thread and got curious about the F1512 so off to Musicians Friend I went. I found a F2512CE (maple) sunburst cutaway on sale for $449. I’ve heard such great things about these two guitars and I have a little left over gig money sooo………GAS has struck again. Thanks for the motivation. [emoji13]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion