The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2024, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

Default PSA: Pirateship - watch out for this…

Hey team,

One of you all turned me on to Pirateship, and it’s been fantastic. The shipping savings from their wholesaling is significant.

That said, I had my first issue with them this week, and it’s partially my fault.

I shipped a small item (a pickup) to someone for about $8 I think. As I always do, I tend to cut and paste the address from an email or PM into the appropriate box on their website. Apparently they use some address autocorrect verification, and it isn’t always accurate. This week it changed the address to what it thought was the right address, resulting in a problem for me.

After a week in limbo, I got them to change the address. For the cost of another $8 plus $18.75 on top of my original shipping cost. I had to do it through their website during business hours. No phones.

Anyhwoo the fault is ultimately mine. I should have double checked. And that’s my PSA to you. Double check. Measure twice ship once.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:19 AM

Thank you much! I'll keep in mind to give the shipping address some extra scrutiny.

I have used Pirate Ship several times with no problem, but I'll be sure to double check info.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:44 AM

Good tip, Sal.

I’ve used them and looking back, I recall that one small package that was sent through USPS never arrived at its destination. Wonder now if something like this happened. It was time sensitive so there’s no need for me to chase it now.

Roger
Old 04-13-2024, 06:46 AM

I've seen that address autocorrect before on other online merchant sites and I'd guess it's from a USPS address database that autopopulates when you start typing in your address. In my case it likes to change "Unit 123" to "Apt 123" which irks me cause I'm in a condo but whatev.

You post was a tad alarming! I've been very happy with the service for many years. Glad to see it was simply a website glitch and nothing dishonest. A shame it cost you but live and learn . . .
Old 04-13-2024, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I have used Pirateship a lot. No issues so far, knock on wood. The savings are substantial, and buyers always appreciate the lower costs. I have even shipped overseas using it.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 04-13-2024, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

A good reminder to double check and not blindly trust the computer.

It is easy to just paste the address in there and move on, but the old adage “trust but verify” holds true again.

I used pirate ship for my last two guitars sold and one other package. It is pretty awesome. I wonder how they arrange those huge discounts. I almost felt guilty dropping my labeled package off at the local UPS store.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Excellent tip, Sal, and thanks for it.

I have shipped two guitars across country for substantially less than UPS would have charged, and for the very same service. One was stuck for a bit, and I could get nothing from UPS. Pirateship could, and did.

They really do embrace the pirate schtick, though. All good. Once, I asked a service rep what "dress-down" Friday's looked like at HQ. And she went silent. Must be a pirate NDA, or something.

David
Old 04-13-2024, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I’ve noticed more and more websites using some sort of address verification process, where it takes an input address and compares it against a database of verified addresses (from the USPS?). I don’t think that it’s a PirateShip thing. Most of the time, the routine just conforms abbreviations and adds the “plus 4” to the zip code, but sometimes it alters the address (e.g., to correct input errors, etc.). On a couple of occasions (not with PirateShip) I’ve had to change the address back because the suggested correction was incorrect.

So as Jamolay said, this is a good reminder to double check and not blindly trust the computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Excellent tip, Sal, and thanks for it.

I have shipped two guitars across country for substantially less than UPS would have charged, and for the very same service. One was stuck for a bit, and I could get nothing from UPS. Pirateship could, and did.

They really do embrace the pirate schtick, though. All good. Once, I asked a service rep what "dress-down" Friday's looked like at HQ. And she went silent. Must be a pirate NDA, or something.

David
I think they get keel-hauled if they discuss dress-down Fridays with customers.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Another big fan of Pirate Ship and a good tip to definitely double check the address before hitting the send button.

I haven't shipped anything with them in awhile, but I seem to remember getting a pop up on an address I entered asking if I wanted to use this corrected address or the one I entered. If I recall, it had something to do with a boulevard abbreviation - Bl vs BLVD or something like that.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-13-2024, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Arrrrgh.....Lefty.

David
Old 04-13-2024, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Sal, I think the same guy that turned you on to Pirate Ship gave me the same tip. I've had very good luck with PS.

Appreciate the advice, though.
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 04-13-2024, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Good reminder. Pirate Ship’s “paste address” feature is very convenient but does get things wrong sometimes. Always a good idea to double check.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Arrrrgh.....Lefty.

David
Maybe she thought "dress down" meant nude?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I’ve noticed more and more websites using some sort of address verification process, where it takes an input address and compares it against a database of verified addresses (from the USPS?). I don’t think that it’s a PirateShip thing. Most of the time, the routine just conforms abbreviations and adds the “plus 4” to the zip code, but sometimes it alters the address (e.g., to correct input errors, etc.). On a couple of occasions (not with PirateShip) I’ve had to change the address back because the suggested correction was incorrect.

So as Jamolay said, this is a good reminder to double check and not blindly trust the computer.
Many are not checking against a database of addresses or just checking format against the preferred USPS format. If it only changes words, punctuation, and capitalization, it's probably just a format checker.

If you see it change the actual street numbers (not the zip code as those are often checked against a database), then it may be using an actual address database. Same if it does the type ahead thing (suggests addresses as you type).
Old 04-13-2024, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

In my case, it changes W Union to East Union, a street that doesn’t exist in that town.

Anyways pirateship has helped me cost effectively clear out a lot of things large and small. I’m a fan. I’ll just double check from now on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion