The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2023, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Hi bholder,

I’m glad to hear that your setup is working as you’d hoped, despite the somewhat compromised pickup. It makes sense to me that the two pickups, being in somewhat different locations inside the bridge, would hear the neck being played somewhat differently and provide an interesting stereo effect.
Yeah, thanks, I can't wait to hear the full effect with two good sensors. It really adds depth and thickness. Funny that I didn't see things going this way at all, totally unexpected, but I should have thought it out first. In any case, I'm really happy the way it's turning out.

I even think the damaged sensor is still usable in a "solo" project, it only falls short here really because it's paired with an undamaged one - sensor pairs are best when perfectly matched.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:51 AM

Hi bholder,

Since you are a fan of Emerald guitars, I suspect you’d enjoy the JP Cormier video which I linked to in a new thread which I just posted. JP was quite impressed by a X20 model with a special hybrid pickup system.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Hi bholder,

Since you are a fan of Emerald guitars, I suspect you’d enjoy the JP Cormier video which I linked to in a new thread which I just posted. JP was quite impressed by a X20 model with a special hybrid pickup system.
I will check it out thanks. I already have 2 Emeralds and I expect an X30 12 string some day. (Edit: 12, not 22 hehe. 22 would be a bit much. I max out at 18 - the 12/6 doublneck Chimera!! Also on my wishlist lol)

Last edited by bholder; 11-28-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks, bholder.

The sustained chords definitely help the listener perceive that the pickup is hearing the guitar top as well as the strings. Of all the various undersaddle pickups that I’ve used, the Enke UST does the best job of responding to the guitar top.
Quote:
Hi bholder,

I’m glad to hear that your setup is working as you’d hoped, despite the somewhat compromised pickup. It makes sense to me that the two pickups, being in somewhat different locations inside the bridge, would hear the neck being played somewhat differently and provide an interesting stereo effect.
Yes, using the "other neck's" pickup in the stereo configuration definitely increases the top sensitivity, going through much more top contact of the bridge plate to get to the pickup. I'm looking forward to recording it and seeing the waveforms in stereo - wondering how much the slight delay is and whether it's adding to the sense of lushness.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:31 AM

Well I jiggled the preamp too hard and broke the connections to the input plug, so sending that back to be fixed (too tiny for my shaky old hands to solder) and also sending the pickups back to replace the one I mangled during my first install attempt. So I'll be without anything for a while, which is sad. But he's building me a new pair (for my other doubleneck), as well as an extra to fix the one I broke in the existing pair, plus another wider one for my Emerald. So I'll keep him busy for a while lol. Will update back here when I've got things back together - now that I know how to install better, I'm expecting great things!

I think one of my harp guitars might be next, hmmm...
Old 12-01-2023, 04:48 PM

Hi bholder,

Sorry to learn about your continued misadventures with the Enke USTs. Schatten Design makes two products (Artist Series Two w/2 volume controls and the MiniPre Two) which can blend two signals if you’ll settle for a mono output.

Pendulum used to make something like a stereo power plug, but it would likely be difficult to find a used one.

Since both USTs are essentially the same (when undamaged), it’s probably worth a try to get a fairly short and high quality stereo-to-Y cable to passively run the two signals to two channels of a mixer. There might be a crosstalk problem, but I doubt it with the two very similar USTs. Your main problems would be loss of signal strength and possibly picking up some noise when running passively though the stereo-to-y cable.

If it were my situation, I’d try a stereo-to-y cable while waiting for David to get another stereo power plug to you.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Hi bholder,

Sorry to learn about your continued misadventures with the Enke USTs. Schatten Design makes two products (Artist Series Two w/2 volume controls and the MiniPre Two) which can blend two signals if you’ll settle for a mono output.

Pendulum used to make something like a stereo power plug, but it would likely be difficult to find a used one.

Since both USTs are essentially the same (when undamaged), it’s probably worth a try to get a fairly short and high quality stereo-to-Y cable to passively run the two signals to two channels of a mixer. There might be a crosstalk problem, but I doubt it with the two very similar USTs. Your main problems would be loss of signal strength and possibly picking up some noise when running passively though the stereo-to-y cable.

If it were my situation, I’d try a stereo-to-y cable while waiting for David to get another stereo power plug to you.
Thanks, yeah, I do have a stereo preamp (EHX Allied Overdrive) that I was using in place of David's preamp - it worked, not as convenient, but workable. But I'll be without any working pickups until I get the one I'm sending tomorrow back with a new ring pickup sensor. Hoping for good news in another week or two.

Note that none of my misadventures reflect on David Enke's quality - it's all on me for screwing up the first install attempt. His work has been exemplary and he just offered to cover the repairs under warranty.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:12 PM

I just talked to David on the phone and the fixed pick ups and the new pick ups and another pick up for my Emerald bass-baritone 12 should all be in the mail on Monday. Oh, and also the fixed preamp. I'm paying for the new ones and he's comping the service work on the old ones. Thank you very much, David - excellent service.

Last edited by bholder; 12-15-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholder View Post
I just talked to David on the phone and the fixed pick ups and the new pick ups and another pick up for my Emerald bass-baritone 12 should all be in the mail on Monday. Oh, and also the fixed preamp. I'm paying for the new ones and he's comping the service work on the old ones. Thank you very much, David - excellent service.
Hi bholder,

That’s great news. Have fun with your newly equipped guitar and bass.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:06 PM

Thanks, I will update back here with samples as I get the various installs done. I picked up more techie installation pointers too, 99.9% confident I can get it right this time. Should have taken the time to call him in the first place...
Old 12-17-2023, 08:59 AM

The biggest "lessons learned"
  • Always pull sensor up from the top using tape, never try to push it up through the hole "blind" from the bottom (leads to crinkling and failure)
  • Don't use glue on the sensor, even the inactive tip part
  • Install the sensors first, the jack last - this leaves you the most freedom and flexibility for the trickiest part of the job
  • Be very careful reaming the end-pin hole, over-reaming may then require the use of larger washers, larger washers are also thicker and can prevent the plug from seating properly. If you over-ream, plug and fill and try again, don't use fat washers
That's all that comes to mind for now will add on if I remember more later.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:55 PM

New pickups arrived today, will update with how the re-install goes this time. Should be a lot smoother with the lessons learned from the first time around.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I have been a great champion of the Barbera under saddle pickup.
I have tried all the other undersaddle pickups and so far Barbera was the best.

Yamamoto Talus All Paulownia/ Barbera Solo pickup
Zeiler Harpy Eagle/ Barbera or Dazzo
CA Pre-Peavy Cargo/ Misi-Element pickup
Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor Ukulele/ Misi- Element pickup
Outdoor Carbon Ukulele
SunnAudio DI Pristine
Genzler Acoustic Array Pro Amp
EV Everse 8

Last edited by Lucky Ambrose; 12-30-2023 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Did not really pertain to the original post.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:37 AM

I'll look into those.

Sorry I haven't updated here with install news, got sidetracked with some house and health issues since the holidays. Honestly, I'm just happy to still be breathing (sever asthma attacks, very scary stuff). On new meds now, should have the installs done this week if my shaky old hands cooperate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification