The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2023, 09:11 AM

Default Its Not A Washburn

I can say with all certainty that it is not part of the Washburn family. And honestly I doubt that it belongs with Oscar S as I have never seen that back stripe like that on any of their guitars.
As for the bridge it almost looks like it maybe had been replaced at one time with a older pyramid bridge, you normally don't see the light lines around the bridge like that.
Wish I could pin point it for you but sometimes they just stay a mystery but a nice older model from around the 1920's.lou
Old 08-25-2023, 08:44 PM

Oddly enough, it appears that the bridge is original and in its original placement: the lacquer is continuous up to the edge of the bridge in some small sections (mostly on the treble side), leading me to believe it is some odd finish loss. Of course, I could just be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time nor the last... and I'd be quite curious to see what wacky turn-of-the-century design was originally on it. Either way, I am simply in love with the sound.

I replaced the phosphor-bronze extra lights that came on it (prior owner was unaware of the long scale and regularly tuned it up to E, but thankfully had the good sense to use such light strings) with Martin Retro (Monel) 11s (which I will keep a full step down or more). I feel that has opened it up; it sounds even livelier than before! It rivaled the Martins I had played (to my taste) but now easily beats quite a few (though a 000-15SM is on the lottery list... not that I really NEED one.)

I was also curious enough to stick my phone camera where it doesn't belong (carefully of course) and take a look at the bracing... it's sparse! A single brace in the upper bout, a single bar around 2/3" below the sound hole, a thin "bridge plate" that doesn't meet the sides probably and inch wide and less than a sixth thick, and a single brace perhaps an inch or so from that; and a few recent-ish cleats from a center-seam split repair. Incredibly light! I will need to be extra careful with this one!

Perhaps I should reach out to Neil Harpe of Stella Book fame? Even if it's not a Stella, he might know what it is, I think.
Old 08-27-2023, 09:05 AM

Default Here's Another

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html
Steve might also be able to help as that is right up his ally.
Old 08-27-2023, 01:21 PM

I am not very impressed by his work as shown on his website which does not seem to have the historic aspect of the guitars as its main priority. But I found Nei Harpe very accesable, also Todd Cambio of Fraulini guitar is very knowledgeable. Both are on Facebook or at least some time ago, because I chose not to use Facebook any more myself. Also the guys behind vintagebluesguitar are quite knowledgeable about these older steel string guitars.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Salty,

I was on the road when your post came up, so I didn't have my hands on my Washburn to post some photos for comparison. I've got 3 that may help. This guitar is from sometime in the later 1890s. The bridge isn't original; Mac McCormick replaced the original bridge and bridgeplate a couple of decades back. There's a paper label that's about 60% intact, and George Washburn stamped on the center brace of the back.

The top is Adi, the back and sides are BR. For a tiny guitar that must be strung light, it's loud. At some time in its life, the neck profile was smoothed down from a v.

So here's a shot to show the general shape of the guitar, and a shot to show the rosette and the rope binding. I've got another shot showing the simple back stripe and the heel shape. This guitar was pretty basic: the further up the pay scale, the more trim. As you can see, the fret markers are 5, 7, 9.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (35.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (35.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (44.3 KB, 51 views)

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-11-2023, 07:13 PM

Hey Jimmy,
Sorry to revive this thread so to speak (to everyone) but I hadn't seen this post before. That Washburn is quite beautiful; but does not seem especially similar to my instrument.
I have found no stamping nor strong evidence of a label that would be now missing, though there is a rectangular area of the headstock that is slightly more shiny than the rest - maybe a brand plate?
Neil hasn't gotten back to me (perhaps my e-mail was wrong...!) but my local Luthier came to the assessment of it being a Schmidt - or similar - on his own. Additionally, I have taken notice of square kerfing and the carve of the braces being a rather tall-ish, sharp V; IMO quite firming placing it in the ~10s-20s. It would be neat to know more, but short of stumbling a century backwards (or coming across an old catalog) I think this is all I'll ever know.
Old 10-15-2023, 11:39 AM

Well, sorry to revive a dead thread, but I recieved a response from Mr. Harpe; (I also asked him if Hauver uses his drawings for the label)

"Hi Sean,

No doubt about it, you have a grand concert Stella made in Jersey City by Oscar Schmidt circa 1925. That is a very desirable model with mahogany.spruce construction! And yes, Mike Hauver does use my drawings for some of his labels.

Speaking of labels -- I'd be happy to send you a reproduction paper label that you can paste inside of your guitar, if you'd like one. Just pay pal me $25 ([email protected]) and I'll drop it in the mail.

Cheers,

Neil"

I suppose that's as darn close to definitive as can be; and though it's a great guitar either way, knowing its provenance (made in the same factory, by the same craftsmen around the same time as the instruments of a multitude of those I aspire to attempt to sound like) makes it that much cooler.
Fun note; the prior owner of the guitar was in NJ - I doubt it's ever been this far from home before (PNW).
Old 10-15-2023, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Cool looking old guitar, congrats! Play in good health!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-15-2023, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Very cool guitar, congratulations!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ngd, oscar schmidt, sovereign, stella