The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2023, 02:07 PM

Default Acoustic amp Vs. a PA Speaker/System?

Considering a Solo act is there a reason to go the PA Speaker route over a Acoustic amp?
I would think if you needed more power or disbursement you could add a powered speaker to the Acoustic amp and use the acoustic amp as your pre-amp
I know many people use a preamp, so why not use an acoustic amp as your preamp? and add on as needed?
Old 05-15-2023, 03:39 PM

An amp is normally intended for guitar use.
A PA has better controls that give each channel the amount of effects wanted.
A PA will still make an acoustic guitar sound good.
Not so much an electric guitar though.

You can get a small PA for about the same price as a good amp.
Be sure of how many channels you will need and purchase accordingly.
If needed, a small mixer can be added for more effects and channels.

I use a Bose S-1 Pro for my solo shows.
My guitars have built in preamps so no need for any other pre amp or DI box for my set up.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

It all comes down to how much power you need/want, how many inputs you need, how much equipment you are willing to schlep and how much you want to spend. After that, there is something for everyone. Dedicated acoustic amp or powered speaker with some sort of mixer. There is no right or wrong.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:59 PM

When I had an Acoustic A30 amp, I tried it as a preamp. It wasn't bad. I have tried using my THR30IIA in the same way.

I much prefer sending my guitar through my acoustic pedalboard and my vocals straight to the mixer. I like the extra control I get going that route. The amp as a preamp isn't bad, and having the amp as a monitor is a bonus, but I like the extra ability to fine tune going with separate channels.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:30 AM

I've never played an acoustic amp that I liked.. and if you intend on singing, they are useless. A good powered speaker will be way more powerful and versatile.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:46 AM

I had been using a Loudbox and DI'd to a BOSE S1 on a pole.

That got the job done.

It all improved 10x when I added another S1s and brought my 12ch board. Lets me sound way more like I want to sound at a gig, plus I can use a set of ear buds for my own monitor instead something that sits on the floor facing back at me.

I take a pedal board along for the gutiar too, compressor -> tonedexter, -> EQ -> reverb -> looper

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-16-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfromny View Post
I've never played an acoustic amp that I liked.. and if you intend on singing, they are useless. A good powered speaker will be way more powerful and versatile.
Yes, recently there has been a glut of "powered speaker" manufacturers that have entered the field for solo / duo perfomers.

Eventually one of them will hit the magic combination of a good sounding system with sufficient volume, individual channels for voice and instrument, effects and real control knobs instead of menus, twin drivers with tweeters, true stereo effects built in, built in pole mount, light weight for us older users, and easy battery operation when there's no AC available.

Wait... My Cube EX already has all that!!!
Old 05-16-2023, 10:22 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes, recently there has been a glut of "powered speaker" manufacturers that have entered the field for solo / duo perfomers.

Eventually one of them will hit the magic combination of a good sounding system with sufficient volume, individual channels for voice and instrument, effects and real control knobs instead of menus, twin drivers with tweeters, true stereo effects built in, built in pole mount, light weight for us older users, and easy battery operation when there's no AC available.

Wait... My Cube EX already has all that!!!

Old 05-16-2023, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Considering a Solo act is there a reason to go the PA Speaker route over a Acoustic amp?
I would think if you needed more power or disbursement you could add a powered speaker to the Acoustic amp and use the acoustic amp as your pre-amp
I know many people use a preamp, so why not use an acoustic amp as your preamp? and add on as needed?
Hi CAD-etc
Some advantages of a PA speaker (or two) over an acoustic amp are:
  • You can turn a large powered speaker down with no issues whereas there are pretty small limits as to how far you can turn an acoustic amp up. Any system when pushed beyond it's limits either becomes strident sounding, overdrives, or BOTH.
  • PA speakers come with a plate for mounting them on a pole and lifting them into the air (thus improving projection into the room).
  • You can add a bass player, keyboardist, mixer, and other musicians to a PA speaker…but not to an acoustic amp.

Vocals sound far better on a PA speaker. And the cost of a single 8" 2 way or 12" 2 way powered speaker will be reasonable. You don't have to buy top-o-the line powered speakers. QSC's mid-line powered cabinets are great sounding, reasonably priced units.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-16-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I strongly disagree.Obviously, you never used a Fishman.

Here’s what I’ve used in rooms with 50 people…plenty of power and great for vocals too.
https://www.proaudiostar.com/fishman...xoCpJMQAvD_BwE

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-16-2023, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm with you, except for my Carvin AG 300. The Carvin really is more a powered speaker though. They took their smallest bass amp, with it's three way speaker system, and put an acoustic front end in it. It's the only acoustic amp I've ever sung through that I liked. Since it's no longer made, the point is moot.

I like the powered speaker route, size being what you want to schlep.

These days a lot of these speakers have at least two channels and can be an easy small gig solution. Two of these and a small mixer will handle a larger room and a small group, so it's flexible for various needs. QSCs are great but expensive. I've used little 8" Behringers that sound remarkably good for the cost.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-16-2023, 04:54 PM

I ended up buying an Alto TX310 Single in put But I'm fine with that as I'm going to use a TC Helicon Perform-VG which takes both Vocal and guitar
For $150, it leaves money for other things
Old 05-18-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you regarding the singing - my Boss Acoustic Singer Live does a great job.

Here's a video from a recent gig - I'm the guy in the bowler, and all of my sound is coming through the boss. The cajon player and other guitarist are both using Bose S1 Pros.

1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 05-18-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you regarding the singing - my Boss Acoustic Singer Live does a great job.

Here's a video from a recent gig - I'm the guy in the bowler, and all of my sound is coming through the boss. The cajon player and other guitarist are both using Bose S1 Pros.

Nice...Thanks!
Old 05-18-2023, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I had been using a Loudbox and DI'd to a BOSE S1 on a pole.

That got the job done.

It all improved 10x when I added another S1s and brought my 12ch board. Lets me sound way more like I want to sound at a gig, plus I can use a set of ear buds for my own monitor instead something that sits on the floor facing back at me.

I take a pedal board along for the gutiar too, compressor -> tonedexter, -> EQ -> reverb -> looper
I'd be interested in hearing more about using 'ear buds' as a monitor. What kind of ear buds and how do you feed signal to them?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification