The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-15-2022, 08:03 PM

Default A Shred Guitar For Me???

I’m in trouble. I can’t get this guitar out of my head. I know nothing about shred guitar, but I am gassing uncontrollably for the chance to play a hot rod like this.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Whose the manufacturer, Frank?

Looks like a shred machine for sure! What a cool tremolo system! You could do some real dive bombing stuff with that!

- Glenn
Old 11-15-2022, 08:27 PM

Default A Shred Guitar For Me???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Whose the manufacturer, Frank?

Looks like a shred machine for sure! What a cool tremolo system! You could do some real dive bombing stuff with that!

- Glenn

It’s one of the Ibanez Joe Satriani signature guitars. Absolutely as far away from my skill set as could be, but it looks like so much fun to try!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...muscle-car-red

Last edited by Chickee; 11-15-2022 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:55 PM

For that price, you're pretty close to the J Custom line. The Satriani line has a 9.8" radius. The Ibanez AZ line has 12" radius. Most other stuff has a 17" radius. For shred, I personally don't like stuff with less than a 12" radius for shred.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Well, Ibanez makes some terrific guitars if a 12" radius is what a person needs. Although, I am guessing different players are going to prefer different fretboard radii.

I wonder why Joe Satriani likes a more rounded fretboard radius? I don't think Joe has particularly small hands, but they are not huge, either.

Sounds like actually playing these shred guitars would be a good idea. Looks like a pretty significant investment.

Eric Johnson does some very cool playing with a Strat, hardly a shred machine.

- Glenn
Old 11-16-2022, 08:37 AM

Thats interesting Glenn, I've never thought of Eric Johnson as a shred guitarist.
Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Bennencourt, yeah of course. Johnson, not at all. He’s a Texas blues man with mad theory skills, exceptional technique and speed on the fretboard. He’s a sound and tone guru with a supernatural picking style and a tactile left hand approach being able to coax vocal, string and piano like results from his Stratocasters.
He is a style unto himself.

fd

Oh and just for the record, im over this red rocket, i have enough guitars….

Last edited by Chickee; 11-16-2022 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Add
Old 11-16-2022, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
... Oh and just for the record, im over this red rocket, i have enough guitars….
Ah... okay. Makes sense.

It's fun to try things on and see if it might work.

- Glenn

Old 11-16-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Ah... okay. Makes sense.

It's fun to try things on and see if it might work.

- Glenn

Is Cliffs of Dover going to be your next cover Willow???? If you decide to go with Satriani’s Flying in a Blue Dream I’ll be more than happy to play the nylon string backup guitar, or that galloping bass line driving the tune forward!
All the best,
fd
Old 11-16-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I’m in trouble. I can’t get this guitar out of my head. I know nothing about shred guitar, but I am gassing uncontrollably for the chance to play a hot rod like this...
I'm not a shredder either but I've played a few, and one of the distinct advantages in my book is the slim, shallow neck profiles...

Just can't get past the styling - or the Floyd - on most of them, though...

My ideal electric would be something with a shred neck, but more traditional styling/pickups...

Come to think of it, didn't the major companies make stuff like that through the '60s and early '70s...?

Never mind...
Old 11-16-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm not a shredder either but I've played a few, and one of the distinct advantages in my book is the slim, shallow neck profiles...

Just can't get past the styling - or the Floyd - on most of them, though...

My ideal electric would be something with a shred neck, but more traditional styling/pickups...

Come to think of it, didn't the major companies make stuff like that through the '60s and early '70s...?

Never mind...
Come on Steve, you've piqued my interest now…. what guitars do you remember from when we were youngsters that would fit this catagory? I cant think of any that would fit the bill.
frank
Old 11-16-2022, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
...Come to think of it, didn't the major companies make stuff like that through the '60s and early '70s...?
I bought my son a suped-up Yamaha Pacifica in black that is a Strat-style guitar with very cool Duncan pickups and a Floyd tremolo and fancy nut and he still uses that guitar more than any of the other guitars he has. That was purchased in the late 80s or early 90s.

This was definitely a nod towards shred guitars. This was a pretty expensive Pacifica that we bought on special when they were being closed out, an $1100 guitar back then purchased for $400.

- Glenn
Old 11-16-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

If it were me for $400 hundred less , I would take a serious look at the PRS CE24 Semi-Hollow

It has a very nice Bolt-on Pattern-Thin neck with a satin finish that is totally smooth, effortless, and fast as hell, with 10" Radius, locking tuners and Humbuckers with split coil giving a variety of tonal possibilities

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...carty-sunburst

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-16-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
If it were me for $400 hundred less , I would take a serious look at the PRS CE24 Semi-Hollow

It has a very nice Bolt-on Pattern-Thin neck with a satin finish that is totally smooth, effortless, and fast as hell, with 10" Radius, locking tuners and Humbuckers with split coil giving a variety of tonal possibilities

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...carty-sunburst

Certainly a beautiful guitar Kevin, but if I were really in the market, which i am not, and money were the issue, this little $900 dolly would be just fine with me. I’m old enough to know that to the untrained eye this economical blue bomber is the exact same guitar as that red rocket in my original post. No one would know the difference except geeks like us!(smiley face emoji)

Old 11-16-2022, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

In full disclosure I don't shred and don't really know much about it other than a thin neck profile, seems to be popular among those who do

I can say the neck on my solid body CE 24 is just superb in feel and playability

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-16-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
In full disclosure I don't shred and don't really know much about it other than a thin neck profile, seems to be popular among those who do

I can say the neck on my solid body CE 24 is just superb in feel and playability
Yeah, i sorta picked up on that Kevin when you were pushing a semi-hollow blues/jazzer as a substitute for a shred guitar.
And in all honesty thats exactly how i feel about the listings in your signature line. I haven’t got a clue what that stuff is, so we’re even. No harm, no foul.😹😂😹

frank d.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars