The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2022, 02:51 PM

Hi Simon,

Where can we find the specs? It looks to be parlor sized, but looks can be deceiving.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Caulfield View Post
The colours will vary quite a bit in reality, depending on lighting conditions, but here are a few more images without the burst:
Those concepts look great but I suppose these colors will turn out darker in real life / indoors. Are you planning to offer vibrant weave as an option?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 09-04-2022, 06:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Hi Simon,

Where can we find the specs? It looks to be parlor sized, but looks can be deceiving.
Yes, its parlour sized! Its quite traditional dimensions, with a vintage C shaped neck profile.

630mm/24.8" scale length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Those concepts look great but I suppose these colors will turn out darker in real life / indoors. Are you planning to offer vibrant weave as an option?
I think the colours will still be relatively bright in real life. As mentioned, I do not have a thick gel coat or multiple thick layers of paint, so the Fibres have a lot less material to reflect the light through; so do appear quite bright silver in the light. Obviously, out of direct light, they will appear darker.

All my R&D so far has been in testing carbon fibres. As the "vibrant weave" is not carbon; and has quite different weight, stiffness and strength properties, I'd be apprehensive as to how much it would effect the sound characteristics. Perhaps some day I will investigate further, but I have no plans at present. 😊
Old 09-04-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
All my R&D so far has been in testing carbon fibres. As the "vibrant weave" is not carbon; and has quite different weight, stiffness and strength properties, I'd be apprehensive as to how much it would effect the sound characteristics. Perhaps some day I will investigate further, but I have no plans at present. ��
Interesting. I had no idea that it is a completely different material. Aluminized fiberglass by the name of Texalium, right? At least that is what Google tells me.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 09-04-2022, 02:22 PM

Oh wow. Fascinating! Never even thought to think that vibrant weave would be different. Wonder if anyone has both and can compare the tone for us.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, its parlour sized! Its quite traditional dimensions, with a vintage C shaped neck profile. 😊
Is there a guitar you could mention which is similar in size? From a little research, it looks like a 'traditional' parlour guitar can be quite small and thus may be a little boxy.
Old 09-05-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Is there a guitar you could mention which is similar in size? From a little research, it looks like a 'traditional' parlour guitar can be quite small and thus may be a little boxy.
Page 2 - lower bout is 13"

That makes it a 1/4" smaller across than a Larrivee Parlor or a Rainsong Parlor.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-05-2022, 07:22 PM

Thanks AZLiberty, I thought I had reread everything to check for reference but clearly not well enough!
Old 09-05-2022, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Page 2 - lower bout is 13"

That makes it a 1/4" smaller across than a Larrivee Parlor or a Rainsong Parlor.
Actually, Simon's guitar is 13.2" at the lower bout (335 mm), so essentially the same as a Larrivee Parlor (13.25"). I used one of Simon's images to compare it with some other CF guitars, and the Larrivee:

Caulfield.jpg

Labels are a bit fuzzy because of the AGF image size limit. Left to right are Rainsong OM, Emerald X20, X7, Caulfield, Larrivee Parlor, Journey OF660.

Simon: I really like the size and shape of your guitar. It's a thing of beauty. And the standard scale length should appeal to a lot of people.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Actually, Simon's guitar is 13.2" at the lower bout (335 mm), so essentially the same as a Larrivee Parlor (13.25"). I used one of Simon's images to compare it with some other CF guitars, and the Larrivee:

Attachment 80332

Labels are a bit fuzzy because of the AGF image size limit. Left to right are Rainsong OM, Emerald X20, X7, Caulfield, Larrivee Parlor, Journey OF660.

Simon: I really like the size and shape of your guitar. It's a thing of beauty. And the standard scale length should appeal to a lot of people.
Appreciate you putting this together Kevin....as an owner of an OF660, this is extremely helpful!
Old 09-06-2022, 01:11 PM

Hi Simon,

You talked about getting some recordings from a few artists....any sounds samples available to hear?
Old 09-06-2022, 02:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Guys!

Apologies! I’m out of the country for a few days; and I’m just catching up on this now.

Thanks so much for jumping in and making that Image, Kevin. When I get back to my desk, I’ll add some dimensions to some of my renders for everyone’s reference.

Generally, what I like is a small and comfortable instrument; and getting the biggest ‘voice’ possible out of a smaller body was the goal. I started with a Gibson L00 style design, and evolved and iterated from there. The body is a little deeper to increase the dimensional volume and to enhance the bass response, but comfort compensated for with the bevels. As mentioned, I started out wanting to make myself my ‘perfect’ guitar, and then the goalposts kept shifting 😅

I got some recordings just before I left, but I have to sync the audio to the video and cut it into something digestible. As soon as I get back I’ll get something for you guys.

As always, thanks so much for your interest, suggestions and comments. It’s a great help and motivator to keep on pushing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D477375F-92E7-4F0F-B2E4-C9E31F89678A.jpg (30.3 KB, 165 views)
Old 09-06-2022, 11:37 PM

****. it comes in Man City blue. might have to pick one up
Old 09-14-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys!

Apologies! I’m out of the country for a few days; and I’m just catching up on
I got some recordings just before I left, but I have to sync the audio to the video and cut it into something digestible. As soon as I get back I’ll get something for you guys.
Looking forward to hearing some recordings!
Old 09-15-2022, 04:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I have taken quite sick. I’m currently in hospital so things are on hold for now. Seems like I caught quite a nasty virus and will be in for a few days.

Simon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber