The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
We got a new Sky box last week.
It comes with netflix installed.

We are watching The Crown which starts horribly (the old King's decline and demise), but seems to be of interest, although Mrs Moustache grumbles that the actors don't look like the people we grew up watching(!!)
Also it is competing with Wimbledon at present!

I'm finding it difficult to find other programmes of interest so far.
Really don't like shootem-ups, drug crimes, etc., Like historical dramas, humour, Westerns and good documentaries.

Any suggestions ?

“The Queens Gambit” is excellent and I’ll wager Mrs. Moustache will agree.
The user reviews are very high and correct.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10048342/

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-28-2022, 05:28 PM

Thanks to those recommending 'Dark'. I finally got round to starting it this week and am 4 episodes in and hooked.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:25 AM

Anybody seen 'The Innocents'? Having just watched 'Stranger Things,' I'm finding certain parallels, although the style is more downbeat and 'British.' The main one is that we have a young girl who seems to have some sort of gift, and there are people out to get her and take her to a research centre in Norway. It seems promising so far.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:17 PM

Just finished "Most Hated Man on the Internet." Disturbingly disgusting. Left me wondering if that kind of abuse still goes on.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Anybody seen 'The Innocents'? Having just watched 'Stranger Things,' I'm finding certain parallels, although the style is more downbeat and 'British.' The main one is that we have a young girl who seems to have some sort of gift, and there are people out to get her and take her to a research centre in Norway. It seems promising so far.
Yikes, this is really good. Highly recommended - stick with it, even though it may seem a little slow at first.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:31 PM

Queens Gambit
Return to Space
Old 08-04-2022, 05:43 PM

I've been watching Forged In Fire just to see Doug say, "This blade will keel!
".
Old 08-04-2022, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
We got a new Sky box last week.
It comes with netflix installed.

We are watching The Crown which starts horribly (the old King's decline and demise), but seems to be of interest, although Mrs Moustache grumbles that the actors don't look like the people we grew up watching(!!)
Also it is competing with Wimbledon at present!

I'm finding it difficult to find other programmes of interest so far.
Really don't like shootem-ups, drug crimes, etc., Like historical dramas, humour, Westerns and good documentaries.

Any suggestions ?
Watch Resurrection Ertugrul. Excellent pre-curser to the Ottoman empire. Sub titles at its best!
Old 08-06-2022, 09:37 AM

Just watched "Trainwreck" a close look at "Woodstock '99". It was a great watch for many reasons. Just three episodes that is fun to stream all at once and get an interesting understanding of that major event. It wasn't my Mom"s Woodstock '69 ! (Edit: Just noticed the Woodstock thread below so this might be old news for many. It was new news to me!)

Last edited by Jobe; 08-06-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:07 AM

I recently started Breaking Bad - I imagine I'm a little late to the party with this one!

It's quite gripping but very bleak. It reminds me rather of Ozark.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Just watched "Trainwreck" a close look at "Woodstock '99". It was a great watch for many reasons. Just three episodes that is fun to stream all at once and get an interesting understanding of that major event. It wasn't my Mom"s Woodstock '69 ! (Edit: Just noticed the Woodstock thread below so this might be old news for many. It was new news to me!)
Same here. Just finished watching Woodstock 99. I think it showed what a good barometer it was in revealing 30 years of cultural change since 1969. Woodstock 99 was all about corporate greed and nihilism. Stunning carnage. It’s fairly disturbing to hear some of the attendees say that they had “the time of their lives.” Really?

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 08-11-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
Same here. Just finished watching Woodstock 99. I think it showed what a good barometer it was in revealing 30 years of cultural change since 1969. Woodstock 99 was all about corporate greed and nihilism. Stunning carnage. It’s fairly disturbing to hear some of the attendees say that they had “the time of their lives.” Really?
In those 30 years the generation of kids who attended Woodstock became the ones who put on Woodstock 99 along with all it wrought. Those hippies became yuppies....and worse.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:17 PM

Only one episode of Better Call Saul left. Excited but sad it’s almost over.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:58 AM

Watching “Blownaway”. 10 glass blowers are given a theme and they have to make and present the resulting piece within a given time. 1 is declared the day’s winner and 1 is sent packing. And so on till only 1 comes out with the big prize. You follow the process along within the half hour show per theme. 3 seasons so far. Very addictive indeed if you any interest in glass blowing or the creative process in general.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I recently started Breaking Bad - I imagine I'm a little late to the party with this one!

It's quite gripping but very bleak. It reminds me rather of Ozark.
I watched Breaking Bad a few years ago. It's a slow burn but it's a great show. Once you finish the series you can watch the movie, 'El Camino'.

In case you're unaware, Better Call Saul was released after Breaking Bad ended and it's a prequel about the lawyer in the show. It too is a great show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Only one episode of Better Call Saul left. Excited but sad it’s almost over.
I'm looking forward to watching the final season once I get a couple other shows knocked out of the way.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic