The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-26-2022, 09:27 AM

Default Yamaha NTX3 crossover

A few months ago, I got a Godin Multiac Nylon Deluxe. My main motivation was easing the arthritic pain in my left hand. The relief on my finger pain is stunning. My hands don’t hurt for the first time in years! I really like the sound as well. The mic blend on the Nylon Deluxe sounds sort of like an idealized nylon string live, but it still seems to work well for the more uptempo songs that I was worried about not being as good.

I absolutely LOVE that guitar, but I have been doing some performances where they like to mic the vocals and guitar, so I have been using my Martin D-15 for that.

Thus, I was looking for an actual acoustic crossover. The Yamaha NTX5 and NTX3 checked all the boxes I was looking for: crossover styling with 14th fret, narrower neck, radius, and a mic blend pickup system.

The NTX5 is more than I want to spend and I found a good deal on a slightly used NTX3, so I ordered it. It should be here by Friday.

The crossover guitar seems to be my new normal. I’ll probably keep a couple of steel strings around for occasional playing and recordings, but here on, I believe I will be mostly a nylon crossover player.

This is the kind of dual mic thing that I want the NTX3 for:

https://youtu.be/k3WY-cGa2Uc
Old 07-26-2022, 10:46 AM

Congrats!

I was rather impressed with the excellent setup on my NCX1 from the factory. I just needed another guitar for at-home practice so I opted for the lower-end and the undersaddle piezo pickup pairs well with my Yamaha THR5A's microphone modeling capaabilities.

The NCX1 has given me a good enough impression that I've been thinking of getting an NCX3C to avail of the Atmosfeel pickup system.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
Congrats!

I was rather impressed with the excellent setup on my NCX1 from the factory. I just needed another guitar for at-home practice so I opted for the lower-end and the undersaddle piezo pickup pairs well with my Yamaha THR5A's microphone modeling capaabilities.

The NCX1 has given me a good enough impression that I've been thinking of getting an NCX3C to avail of the Atmosfeel pickup system.
I have two physical issues: significant hearing loss, and some arthritis in my fingers. I’ve been using a Yamaha THR30iiA live pointed at myself so that I can really hear the guitar. With the THR amp pointed at me, and the nylon strings, neither my hearing loss or my arthritis are much of a problem anymore. I went with the top model in order to get the line outs, which really work well live.

I find that I get the best sound using a combination of real and modeled mics.

Thanks for posting that video. I had looked at it before, but I wasn’t patient enough to get to the Atmosfeel pickup part.

It’s interesting because it sounds like he doesn’t expect to use the mic much live. That’s where I like the Godin Multiac Nylon Deluxe so much. Because of the design, you can get away with a lot of mic without feedback. I still plan on using the Multiac most of the time.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:09 AM

“Out for delivery”! I’m so excited!
Old 07-29-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
“Out for delivery”! I’m so excited!

It just arrived. Slightly used, but looking perfect. What a beautiful guitar! The sound is just wonderful, both acoustically and plugged in!
Old 07-29-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
It just arrived. Slightly used, but looking perfect. What a beautiful guitar! The sound is just wonderful, both acoustically and plugged in!
Congratulations!

I'm currently scanning the used market and checking with my retail contacts for new-stock deliveries.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Congrats!

It really is a wonderful guitar. I just got to plug my in today for the first time (into a proper acoustic amp) and what a beautiful sounding guitar! Very nice indeed.

I still have to work on getting used to the narrow string spacing and small nut, but I'm getting there.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 08-03-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
I still have to work on getting used to the narrow string spacing and small nut, but I'm getting there.
I have been playing regular steel string for so long, that for me that’s a benefit, not a hindrance.

Plus, I really do prefer it. I like the natural look of the position of the guitar on my right leg. I like being able to stand and play with it on a strap. I like the narrower body and how it makes room for my stomach… [emoji57]

Last edited by lkingston; 08-03-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
I'm a bit surprised that you need to adjust.

That would be more of my problem since I'm accustomed to playing classical and flamenco guitars with 52mm-54mm nut widths. That's why I went with the NCX series.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
I'm a bit surprised that you need to adjust.

That would be more of my problem since I'm accustomed to playing classical and flamenco guitars with 52mm-54mm nut widths. That's why I went with the NCX series.
More than the nut width the string spacing is challenging to me. More narrow than I am used to.

Other than that the guitar is just beautiful.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 08-04-2022, 08:42 AM

A little more reflection on my choice of NTX over NCX:

I have become primarily a nylon player because of how it eases my finger pain. I’ve also fallen in love with the sound of the nylon strings.

For many people, the NTX fills a role for steel string players who want to occasionally delve into the world of nylon string sound.

For me, I will practice exclusively on the nylon string crossover guitar and will mostly play it live. But I will still play steel strings on occasion for videos and some live performances. Like most, I practice far more than I perform (though I do perform regularly).

My fingers will have no problem playing steel string from time to time so long as the hours of regular practice are done with the nylon strings. Playing the crossover will keep me in both worlds.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Playing the crossover will keep me in both worlds.
The NTX is perfect for steel-string players. Narrower nut. 14-fretter.

The NCX is better suited to those who're accustomed to a classical guitar and need to get amped. That's yours truly.

The perfect duo ambassadors for the NTX and NCX are Rodrigo y Gabriela. The former picks on an NTX while the latter plays rumba-flamenco-style on an NCX. If I recall correctly, it was their partnership with Yamaha that helped give birth to the NX line.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 08-04-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:32 PM

I was experimenting today with recording singing with my NTX3 guitar by putting an acoustic amp up beside me so that the same mic would pick up a little of the low end and reverb from the amp. I tried it twice: once with my little THR30Aii, and a second time with my Elite Acoustics D6-58:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650737

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650738
Old 08-06-2022, 04:14 PM

I embedded your vids.

For me, listening with headphones, this first one had a nice bright definition in the tone. Which mic setting did you use on the THR and what stand is it on?

I liked the warm tone of this second one. The chimes came out nice and clear.

Nice work!
Old 08-06-2022, 09:51 PM

On those two I was shooting with an iPhone and a Rode VideoMic Micro with a Saramonic mic to lightning adapter cable. I was trying to fill out the sound a bit (and add a little DSP) with an acoustic amp. I didn’t use any internal mic because the VideoMic Micro was also picking up the acoustic sound of the guitar, and I just wanted to reinforce the low mid frequencies with the amp. I did use some modeled mic with the THR amp though: the condenser model at about a 50% blend. I’m still experimenting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical