The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-10-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I don’t think anyone has suggested this yet - but maybe there’s an Emerald owner in your part of the world who would let you try their X20.

I’ve done this with mine four times now, and have ‘sold’ three as a result - and met some really nice folks in doing so.

If you care to let us know where you are, perhaps someone could oblige.
Thanks for the suggestion, David. I’m on Oahu, Hawaii.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Did you ask Kevin if they would slim the neck width down for you? There was a post here some time ago, which I can't find right now, where someone ordered an Emerald and asked them to reduce the neck width a bit. By width, I mean that measured across the strings. He said it made quite a difference. That isn't listed as an option in their online builder, but I know they will do some customizations that aren't listed.

After I recently received my X-20 I did notice the neck is a little wider than it needs to be. For example, here is a comparison of the X-20 neck to that on my Larrivee 00-40R. Both guitars have the same nut width (1-3/4"), the same string spacing at the nut (1.50"), the same string spacing at the saddle (2-1/4") and the same scale length (25.5"). The photo below compares the two necks at the 7th fret. The top half of the image is the Emerald. The lower part is the Larrivee.

Neck width at F7 Emerald vs Larrivee.jpg

You can see the spacing of the strings (E --> e) is very nearly equal, as it should be given the identical string spacings at the nut and saddle, and the identical scale lengths. But the neck is noticeably wider on the Emerald. They leave what looks to be extra distance from the outer strings to the edge of the neck. I think this is what the previous poster had Emerald remove when building his guitar.

Admittedly the difference in widths is small - 0.08" for the two guitars in this example. But that's more than 1/16", and many of us know how much of a difference 1/16" can make in nut width.

Anyway, if you haven't done so, try asking Kevin if they could do that for you. I inquired about it some time after I'd submitted my order but Kevin said mine was too far along in the build to monkey with the neck. That suggests they would have considered it if I'd asked earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
My big concern is the neck width. As you know, Emerald doesn’t give you the option to choose a smaller neck profile. According to Kevin at Emerald, getting the more narrow nut makes the neck feel smaller. I hope this works for me. I’ve been leaning towards the X20 thinking the smaller body would also provide easier playability. The X30 I played was fine playing cowboy chords but I struggled playing up the neck and on barre chords. Since I’m buying before trying there’s plenty of guesswork in all this so I appreciate whatever insight folks have.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:22 PM

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this, Kevin. The photo perfectly illustrates the point - and explains why the X30 I tried with a 1 3/4 nut felt so much wider than my CA Legacy with an identical nut width. I emailed Kevin at Emerald this question using your photo to illustrate. Will see what he says. A more narrow nut and a slimmer neck would probably make all the difference for me.

Kevin did tell me that they can mod a custom build to allow easier installation of the Anthem system, so that’s good to hear.

Not sure how you decide on a veneer. So many stunning tops, and the straight carbon fiber tops are great looking as well. Right now, I’m thinking either pau ferro golden or cocobolo.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Yeah I can definitely feel the extra width. But it really only matters if I'm trying to fret the low E with a thumb wrap-around. So it's not a deal killer for me.

It took me quite a while to pick a veneer. Not only the wood type, but the specific one from their library. You almost need to order several of them .

I'll be interested to hear what Kevin has to say. I could see an X7 in my future - but it would be nice to get a slimmed down neck.

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this, Kevin. The photo perfectly illustrates the point - and explains why the X30 I tried with a 1 3/4 nut felt so much wider than my CA Legacy with an identical nut width. I emailed Kevin at Emerald this question using your photo to illustrate. Will see what he says. A more narrow nut and a slimmer neck would probably make all the difference for me.

Kevin did tell me that they can mod a custom build to allow easier installation of the Anthem system, so that’s good to hear.

Not sure how you decide on a veneer. So many stunning tops, and the straight carbon fiber tops are great looking as well. Right now, I’m thinking either pau ferro golden or cocobolo.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Not sure how you decide on a veneer. So many stunning tops, and the straight carbon fiber tops are great looking as well. Right now, I’m thinking either pau ferro golden or cocobolo.
Prior to purchasing my first Emerald, an AGF member suggested to me that the lighter colored veneers tend to show up better under normal home lighting. This is especially true if you're using Emerald's highly lit "glamour shots" to make your decision...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-11-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yeah I can definitely feel the extra width. But it really only matters if I'm trying to fret the low E with a thumb wrap-around. So it's not a deal killer for me.

It took me quite a while to pick a veneer. Not only the wood type, but the specific one from their library. You almost need to order several of them .

I'll be interested to hear what Kevin has to say. I could see an X7 in my future - but it would be nice to get a slimmed down neck.
Will let you all know Kevin’s response. If the more narrow nut and slimmer neck work for me, I can see getting one or two more Emeralds. I’m thinking X20, X30 in pau ferro and cocobolo and possibly an X7 in plain carbon red. We’ll see what happens with my first order.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Prior to purchasing my first Emerald, an AGF member suggested to me that the lighter colored veneers tend to show up better under normal home lighting. This is especially true if you're using Emerald's highly lit "glamour shots" to make your decision...
Thanks, RP, I’ve read others post that as well. Going with pau ferro golden vs. pau ferro dark will probably help with that. I think the Padauk is a fantastic top as well, but I like the other two I listed better. Macassar Ebony is classy looking, but it’s really dark. The Harborica in red is flashy, but may attract too much attention to my pedestrian playing when I’m up front with the worship team!
Old 04-23-2022, 06:42 PM

Finally decided to order an X20 in standard purple carbon, silver dots, with the narrow neck width (1 11/16th). Although the veneers look amazing I just couldn’t justify the $650 up charge. Assuming the neck profile works for me, I’ll go ahead and install an LR Baggs StagePro Anthem. I plan to follow that up with an X30 in standard red, narrow neck profile, silver or white dotes and either a HyVibe system or another StagePro Anthem. The HyVibe seems like a fun practice tool, but I haven’t heard much online about the quality of the pickups when running directly into an amp or PA.

Appreciate the comments in the “Blue vs Red Emerald” thread about the actual color of standard carbon. Darker is better in my mind.

Last edited by Quintus; 04-23-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Will let you all know Kevin’s response.
I see you ordered your Emerald. What was Kevin’s response as I am about to embark on this journey soon. I have an older X20 and the extra width does cause some issues for me. Would love to get a slimmer profile (like the Larivee pictured above) on my new one.

Thanks
Vince
Old 05-13-2022, 09:45 PM

Hey Vince, I actually had to hold off on placing an order. I still plan to, just need some more time, but I do know what specs I want. Like you, I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who has owned or played the 1 11/16th nut width on an Emerald. I didn’t get any specifics from Kevin at Emerald other than it’s “thinner” - same thing Alistair said when describing that profile on a guitar in the most recent shipping video.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Quintus.

I wonder if the width at the bridge narrows to 2 3/16” to account for the 1/16” loss at the nut?
Old 05-14-2022, 03:55 PM

I’ve asked Emerald for neck measurements up and down the neck, trying to know exactly what “narrower neck” means, but was never given an answer.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’ve asked Emerald for neck measurements up and down the neck, trying to know exactly what “narrower neck” means, but was never given an answer.
That is a shame. For a company that gets so many positive comments on their customer service, this is a gimme question to avoid answering. Arguably one of the most important factors in player comfort (neck profile) and it's like we're looking for the holy grail. I've been in manufacturing for years and I could point a person to at least 3 places where they could readily find this answer. Emerald puts out quality instruments so they definitely have drawings and critical measurements for their molds. Further I would be willing to bet that there is more than 1 guitar they've made with a 1 11/16" nut. Couldn't be that hard to simply measure one.

I applaud their direct sales approach. However, if you want to cut out the middle man, you have to supply customers with information they cannot get by going to a store IMO.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
I applaud their direct sales approach. However, if you want to cut out the middle man, you have to supply customers with information they cannot get by going to a store IMO.
Is there really a perfect guitar for everyone? At least in the past Emerald was doing some crazy on-demand custom work. They quickly realized that this wasn't good for a direct sales business model and trimmed the fat.

I've found that the best approach is to adapt to an instrument that you fall in love with and move any others on. At least until you reach rock star status and can afford that killer custom guitar. We are such a finnicky bunch.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Is there really a perfect guitar for everyone? At least in the past Emerald was doing some crazy on-demand custom work. They quickly realized that this wasn't good for a direct sales business model and trimmed the fat.

I've found that the best approach is to adapt to an instrument that you fall in love with and move any others on. At least until you reach rock star status and can afford that killer custom guitar. We are such a finnicky bunch.
I'm not asking for perfect. Or custom. They offer a 1 11/16" nut width and apparently cannot tell you about the neck, other than 'it's smaller'. It's not like it's an unusual question. You can easily find this for Martin's, Taylor's and even Gibson (which I've always had hit or miss with their customer service, pending whose owned them at the time). Plus, you can always go somewhere to measure them yourself, if you had to. But you cannot with an Emerald.

If this is their worst complaint, they are better than 90% of the other companies in the world. I have "adapted' to my older X20, but as I get older, I would like something more comfortable. They offer an option that I think might be better, but would like to know a measurement. A common one, at that. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask before spending $4k on an instrument, to only realize upon delivery that it's not different than what you got. And if I am not their target customer, I can readily accept that fact. But I've researched this and there are several threads regarding this topic. Many asking the same question. So I am not alone, if not in the minority (maybe).

And for the record, I am not angry with them or upset, for that matter. Just surprised, more than anything else. I really want another X20, but at this point, cannot see risking that kind of money, to potentially be in the same spot I am now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber