The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 06:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Very very pretty. Really classy as well.
Thanks Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
The blackwood certainly makes the stone & Bocote pop, but if it were mine I would have liked the blacks to be thinner than the other rosette sections.
Thanks, yeah that’s what we’re thinking. We’re considering redoing it.

m

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 01-23-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Looks fantastic--I wouldn't change a thing!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-23-2022, 01:58 PM

Would that mean having to start with a new top? I would not lose that top if that is the case. It is beautiful. I am with Mr. Nemo, I think it looks great right now.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:08 PM

Thinking out loud-

If I were the customer, I would ask if you could you use the hole's edge as a guide and cut pathways into the center of the black circles and inlay something?

Beautiful craftsmanship BTW
Old 01-23-2022, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM28V View Post
Thinking out loud-

If I were the customer, I would ask if you could you use the hole's edge as a guide and cut pathways into the center of the black circles and inlay something?

Beautiful craftsmanship BTW
Mark and I discussed this...but I really want a thinner rosette overall, so he will keep it for a spec guitar likely, or someone else...it's a bit of a heartbreak to do this, but...

So, the overall theme will be the same, just thinner black (thickness of the bocote) on the inside and outside of the turquoise/bocote with maybe an additional thin white maple line/AB line to break up the thinner black rings on both to match up with the rest of the top purfling lines...but I like the black (AB) binding around the soundhole!

But we'll see what Mark comes up with!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 01-27-2022, 04:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Green Turquoise Stone Rosette 2.0

We have the new green turquoise rosette ready to be installed:

The purfling around the top will have the same 7 lines as the outer line of the rosette. These are the black-maple-black-mahogany-black-maple-black fine lines.

M

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 01-28-2022, 08:16 AM

That is beautiful Mark!
Old 01-28-2022, 09:03 AM
Music soothes the soul!

That is beautiful! Schweeet!
Old 01-28-2022, 01:21 PM

Exquisite!

I believe the 1st one would rival this one with a couple added white and either maple or mahogany thin lines in the middle of the black rings. Then again, others would love it as-is.

Do the stones require additional steps (Conditioning) to be able to accept your finishing techniques?

I appreciate your creativeness and determination to stretch the materials envelope. I also enjoy your build threads and photography skills.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Default ..not sure I understand fully..

1st I was thinking you wanted to redo the rosette with the thicker black lines but assumed that would mean to do another top altogether ?
Now it appears to me either a new rosette is done and replacing the previous one or the previous one was used and changed to create the latest version..
either way- I am glad ( not that it matters) you stick to that top apparently as it is quite special.. would have been a shame to omit it... and the new version of the rosette to me is also looking better!

..just put down the Piña with the sibling back to write this.. would love to have them side by side once for a comparison.. maybe one day. Have I said it sounds fantastic and much bigger than the Piña shape would suggest already ?... I might have ;o)
I am trying to get a recording of it done a bit more professionally than with my cellphone.. but it proves tricky to get that done.. we‘ll see
Old 01-28-2022, 05:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
That is beautiful Mark!
Thanks Treenewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
That is beautiful! Schweeet!
Thanks cigarfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM28V View Post
Exquisite!

I believe the 1st one would rival this one with a couple added white and either maple or mahogany thin lines in the middle of the black rings. Then again, others would love it as-is.

Do the stones require additional steps (Conditioning) to be able to accept your finishing techniques?

I appreciate your creativeness and determination to stretch the materials envelope. I also enjoy your build threads and photography skills.
Thanks OM28V. I have this first top rosette and it will likely be used in a future reincarnation. Part of the issue with this one was it needed to be a little thinner. The ring rosette came in at about 7/8ths thick. I scaled the whole design down to 3/4" which fits the small body nicely.

No special conditioning needs to be done for the finish.

Thanks for following along and for you comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
1st I was thinking you wanted to redo the rosette with the thicker black lines but assumed that would mean to do another top altogether ?
Now it appears to me either a new rosette is done and replacing the previous one or the previous one was used and changed to create the latest version..
either way- I am glad ( not that it matters) you stick to that top apparently as it is quite special.. would have been a shame to omit it... and the new version of the rosette to me is also looking better!

..just put down the Piña with the sibling back to write this.. would love to have them side by side once for a comparison.. maybe one day. Have I said it sounds fantastic and much bigger than the Piña shape would suggest already ?... I might have ;o)
I am trying to get a recording of it done a bit mor professionally than with my cellphone.. but it proves tricky to get that done.. we‘ll see
I did replace the top. The first one is still usable for a future project. I did do an all new rosette. The new design has the turquoise and Bocote rings widths scaled down which is hard to show in a photograph.

I'm glad this guitar's older sister is playing well and is keeping an eye on her younger sibling!

Thanks Lonzo, I'd love to hear your new recording when it comes together

M

Old 01-28-2022, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post

I am trying to get a recording of it done a bit more professionally than with my cellphone.. but it proves tricky to get that done.. we‘ll see
Looking forward to hearing that sound!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 01-29-2022, 02:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default On Another Note

My first guitar with its Stone rosette has been going through the finish process. Here are some update pictures with the first gloss coat on:

It is my Greta model with my troated sound port. The soundboard is tunnel Redwood and it has some beautifully figured English Walnut for the back and sides. My customer requested that I use ultramarine Lapis Lazuli stone in the rosette and in a Philosopher's Stone symbol on the 12th fret inlay.

I have the rather challenging habit of answering customer's requests with "Sure, I can do it" even when I'm not sure exactly how I am going to do it.
As fortune would have it I was in the middle of moving to the Green Mountains and my new neighbors were professional stone carvers!

m

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 01-29-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Looks amazing, Mark--totally amazing!

And I love the new rosette--but I loved the original as well.

You're doing some beautiful work with those stones!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-30-2022, 10:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looks amazing, Mark--totally amazing!

And I love the new rosette--but I loved the original as well.

You're doing some beautiful work with those stones!
Thanks Nemoman! I think we'll see a lot more stonework on future guitars judging by the reaction I am getting and the my own excitement imagining the possibilities.

m

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop