The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-06-2021, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Any bass players here? Stingray question...

I just recently purchased a Stingray 34H from GC and I am really enjoying the tone. I already have a G&L jazz bass and a Gretsch G5442BDC bass, both of which are double pickup basses.

The Stingray has a single himbucking bridge pickup. At GC they also had a two pickup version 34HH in stealth black. I like the tone of the single humbucker but I wonder if I should get the HH since I'm still in my return period and could just upgrade for another $200.

I'm not really a slap bass player, mostly pick or thumb. I just wonder if I should do the upgrade while I can? But, I also like the tone I get from the single and already have two other basses to help with tonal variety.

As aside note, the natural version is ash and has a roasted maple neck. It plays great. Have not (yet) tried the two pickup version. The HH has a mahogany body but also with a roasted maple neck.

Thoughts?sterling-by-music-man-stingray-ray34-electric-bass-guitar-natural.jpgsterling-by-music-man-electric-bass-sterling-by-music-man-stingray-ray34hh-stealth-black-4484219.jpg
Old 04-06-2021, 01:30 PM

Compare them and make an honest evaluation for yourself.

I have a single MM in my fretless 30" scale bass, I've always been fond of single magnetic pickup basses. My other fretted 30" scale has a single P pickup.

There's just something a bit more direct and less amorphous about a single pickup bass that I prefer. YMMV.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

After consideration, I think my basses are covered with my selection of basses! So, I am sticking with the single H version I have.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:43 PM

I have a single pickup Stingray 5. It has a very unique tone that is only of use (to me) on a limited selection of tunes, but nothing else can replace it. P-bass and J-bass are far more versatile - but you probably know that already...
Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I have a single pickup Stingray 5. It has a very unique tone that is only of use (to me) on a limited selection of tunes...
Pretty much the same reaction I had when I played one of the first ones in the late-70's, and the reason I've never owned another single-pickup bass after selling my '67 Epiphone Rivoli thirty years ago; FWIW I always liked the look of the natural ash body/maple neck combination, but I would've opted for the 2-PU version in the interest of tonal versatility...
Old 04-07-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
After consideration, I think my basses are covered with my selection of basses! So, I am sticking with the single H version I have.
Good decision. I had a SR4H for a while a few years ago. No need for a second pickup on that bass, it sounded fabulous as is (I have other two-pickup basses to cover other needs).
Old 04-08-2021, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone and I do agree with what's being said. I guess I kind of fell in love with that aggressive Stingray sound when I heard the song below. He has versions with other basses, but my understanding is this version was a Stingray. As noted, I have a G&L Jazz bass and a hollow body Gretsch, which has flats on it. I can get most tones I need with this combo. The Ray is just for when I want to get "funky"!

https://youtu.be/mypGjDV6XaI

Last edited by BoneDigger; 04-08-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
The Ray is just fir when I want to get "funky"!
Yep. Pretty much sums it up for me, too.

It's loads of fun to play things like Brick House, but there's not much call for funk/disco these days - at least around these parts...
Old 04-08-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I have a single pickup Stingray 5. It has a very unique tone that is only of use (to me) on a limited selection of tunes, but nothing else can replace it. P-bass and J-bass are far more versatile - but you probably know that already...

Good idea! If it’s good enough for Tony Levin etc etc...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars