The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2021, 02:55 PM

Guess it's time to go try some Furchs.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Absolutely - Lakewood, Furch, Lowden, amongst others. And the UK has a bundle I'm aware of, too. The old hierarchies are based more on folklore than realty these days, I think.
I used to have a Lakewood. I have tried Furch but those are modern sounding guitar (bright and clear). I like the Martin tone better.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-07-2021, 04:57 PM

Yeah, most of the European builders (at least the somewhat affordable ones...), like Furch & Lakewood, seem to follow a more modern tone ideal (Taylor-like) - not a lot of choice when it comes to old-school Martin- or Gibson tone. I wished we had a local equivalent of brands like Iris or Waterloo...
Old 04-08-2021, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
Yeah, most of the European builders (at least the somewhat affordable ones...), like Furch & Lakewood, seem to follow a more modern tone ideal (Taylor-like) - not a lot of choice when it comes to old-school Martin- or Gibson tone. I wished we had a local equivalent of brands like Iris or Waterloo...
Maybe I’m mistaken, but I think the Vintage line of guitars from Furch are supposed to come close to the classic Martin/Gibson sound profile.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Maybe I’m mistaken, but I think the Vintage line of guitars from Furch are supposed to come close to the classic Martin/Gibson sound profile.
Maybe! Haven't had a chance to try one, almost all the ones available at stores here are their "regular" (color code) models - unfortunately, their vintage-style models cost more than the real thing.
Also, AFAiK, the Furch vintage models still have the same construction (neck joint, etc) as the modern ones, vintage applies only to the looks/appointments (tuners, headstock shape, etc) - but I could be mistaken there...
Old 04-08-2021, 05:04 AM

its not a surprise that with a world pandemic that manufacturing has taken a hit.

look at it as an opportunity for those of us in Europe to look further than the traditional choices and look at some of the excellent European brands.

I can't sing the praises of McIlroy enough
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion