The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-10-2021, 05:17 PM

Default Anybody know Mauel?

I just purchased a guitar made by Hank Mauel. While I wait for it to arrive I'm wondering if any of you fine people are familiar with Hank's work. He appears to be a small builder from California in the 90's-00's.

There are only a couple examples of his work readily available on the internet. So... who's holding?
Old 03-10-2021, 05:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yep, I've known Hank for many years. His work is excellent so hold your head high because it’s quite likely you have a great guitar.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:26 PM

I fully agree. He once offered to help me out of a difficult situation with another builder. No one else stepped forth.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

From my limited dealings with him, I'd classify Hank as a good guy. That was a few years ago, so I hope he is enjoying his retirement.

And I hope you enjoy your new (to you) Mauel guitar!
Old 03-11-2021, 05:06 AM

More than 20 years ago I had Hank build a 000-12 adi over koa for me. He was an absolute pleasure to work with. The end result was a great instrument with a great tone which has held up well over time. While I am not a firm believer in 'the older a guitar is, the better it is - this particular guitar has really found it's voice over the past 5 tears. And the Hank's workmanship was second to none.

Probably 10 or so years ago I heard that Hank had retired. At one point I had this guitar up for sale, but I am glad that I kept it!

Enjoy your guitar - you got one from one of the great builders that many are unaware of.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilker View Post
He appears to be a small builder from California in the 90's-00's.
This is true. I believe he was part of the (informal) crew that included Kathy Wingert, Lance McCollum, Harvey Leach, etc.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:06 PM

Exciting! Glad to hear it. Believe it or not, this will be the first small builder guitar I have owned.

I've had the privilege of playing a number of instruments from highly regarded builders, but never in my own home. Very much looking forward to it.

Hank, if you're out there... I'm excited about your work.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:12 PM

What a knowledgeable group we have here at the AGF!
Old 03-29-2021, 12:34 PM

Following up here, I've had this guitar for a little over a week and it's lovely. I'll be posting photos and details soon, but it's an easy instrument to fall in love with.

Question aimed at builders: [EDITED] This 12 fret mahogany dread has a lightly build lower bout. It's currently strung up with 12's and it has what I'd describe as an appropriate belly. I'd like to use tension adjusted 13's (from Straight up Strings) to stiffen up the dynamics a little bit -- would I be advised to stick with 12's or can I go ahead and string up some 13's?

*[EDITED] I'm looking at a photo I snapped while changing strings and it looks like the central X is a little more robust than I remember. The two tone bars are extremely tall and sharp and heavily scalloped.

Photo here: https://imgur.com/a/LMl89bL

Last edited by asilker; 03-29-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

While out at the Healdsburg festival in 2011 I stopped by Hank's table. His guitars were unerstated and elegant, both build and tone. He and his wife were really down to earth and loads of fun to chat with. However, after reading this thread I googled and found this. If anyone has any additional information - and I suspect some luthier friends will - please share....

https://www.facebook.com/thenorthame...6964665189394/
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 03-29-2021, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilker View Post

Question aimed at builders: [EDITED] This 12 fret mahogany dread has a lightly build lower bout. It's currently strung up with 12's and it has what I'd describe as an appropriate belly. I'd like to use tension adjusted 13's (from Straight up Strings) to stiffen up the dynamics a little bit -- would I be advised to stick with 12's or can I go ahead and string up some 13's?.

Photo here: https://imgur.com/a/LMl89bL
If the top is responding to 12’s by displaying movement (a slight belly) then I would not go to 13’s unless you are willing to risk more movement which may or may not be acceptable. The top is talking to you now so it may be wise to listen.

It’s the deep scalloping in the braces that loosens the top and allows it to move, ie the belly you are seeing. The tall peaks add mass to the bracing.

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 03-29-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Tim - Do you know anything about the reference to "the late Hank Mauel". Hopefully that information's wrong....
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 03-31-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
If the top is responding to 12’s by displaying movement (a slight belly) then I would not go to 13’s unless you are willing to risk more movement which may or may not be acceptable. The top is talking to you now so it may be wise to listen.

It’s the deep scalloping in the braces that loosens the top and allows it to move, ie the belly you are seeing. The tall peaks add mass to the bracing.
Roger that. Thank you Tim! 12's keep things easy for fingerpicking anyway, no biggie.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Tim - Do you know anything about the reference to "the late Hank Mauel". Hopefully that information's wrong....
Sorry, but I don’t. It’s been a few years since I’ve spoken with Hank. I’ve reached out to a mutual friend and will report back.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hank Maul was a protege of Lance McCollum, at least in my mind. Hank was a presence in the local community, and I met him a number of times. Lance passed around 10 years ago, maybe more, and Hank seemed to retire shortly there after. I believe dust issues were mentioned. If Hank has passed, no one alerted me, but it has been at least five years since I’ve heard anything of him.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 04-01-2021 at 08:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop