The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-10-2021, 09:48 PM

Nice close up of the cutaway.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:50 PM

I love the EIR end wedge with the Madi. Very classy look to me.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:57 PM

Great shot of the back. This Madagascar so reminds me of some BRZ I’ve seen.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:37 PM

Also thinking about pickups now so ToneDexter users please feel free to chime in.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Really, there is only one choice in my experience. An Ultra Tonic from James, who else knows how to work with the Tondexter better than the guy who built it. I had one drop shipped to Drew to install in my SJ.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 02-11-2021, 10:22 AM

Great looking build, can’t wait to see it finished!
Old 02-11-2021, 01:52 PM

Thanks guys! I have to say Drew is AMAZING to work with. He asks questions and thinks through things that I would never have. I’d love to hear how RacerBob is enjoying his now that he has had it a bit! [emoji1303][emoji1303]
Old 02-13-2021, 09:04 AM

Looks really good so far, have only heard fantastic things about his guitars. I am sure it will be amazing.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks really good so far, have only heard fantastic things about his guitars. I am sure it will be amazing.

Thanks! I cannot emphasize enough how great a guy and how amazing he is to work with. Jim Olson once said the character of the builder some how finds its way into their guitars. If thats true it most certainly will be spectacular.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone0305 View Post
Also thinking about pickups now so ToneDexter users please feel free to chime in.
I like the Anthem and Lyric, but the Anthem does affect tone, so I'd go with the Lyric personally.

Can't wait for you to take delivery. My Heinonen is doing well.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconValleySJ View Post
I like the Anthem and Lyric, but the Anthem does affect tone, so I'd go with the Lyric personally.

Can't wait for you to take delivery. My Heinonen is doing well.

I’d love to hear a clip of yours! Good to hear you’re still loving it.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Default My Experience so far

Well though I've had mine for a while, due to re-balancing and reducing my number of guitars to what I find ideal and be able to play the remaining ones on a regular basis I haven't put a lot of time in with it.

But I've played it enough to get to know it. My primarily vocal accompaniment guitars are tuned down a half step which, with use of a capo, give me a range of keys that suit my repertory of songs.

When I was offered the guitar by Drew the nut/saddle and bridge had yet to be added so we had the chance to set it up exactly for my needs. I usually use mediums when tuned down and Drew did the calculations to approve the tension was in the correct range. He then spend a lot of time doing the intonation for open, capo 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th frets. He nailed it better than any others I have had.

After putting some hours of play on it I felt the mediums were "restraining" the lower end. So I switched to lights and got the 6th string clarity I desired. I did go to a 13 1st string. The intonation didn't change one bit, correct all the way up to the 15th fret which is as far as I ever go. And rings out with a clear tone up high.

I find his C neck shape very comfortable, but I'm not a fan of the typical V neck shape due to hand size and configuration ( I can't thumb over a Ukulele). It is a very easy to play guitar with a tone that is warm with clarity, not overly "bassy" which can happen with cedar/EIR.

The build is exceptional. His guitars are a bargain at his current prices. Does it sound like the same guitar from we know who. My experience seems to be any differences is down to individual guitars rather than who built them.

Anyone got any questions feel free to contact me.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD

Last edited by Racerbob; 02-15-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
Well though I've had mine for a while, due to re-balancing and reducing my number of guitars to what I find ideal and be able to play the remaining ones on a regular basis I haven't put a lot of time in with it.

But I've played it enough to get to know it. My primarily vocal accompaniment guitars are tuned down a half step which, with use of a capo, give me a range of keys that suit my repertory of songs.

When I was offered the guitar by Drew the nut/saddle and bridge had yet to be added so we had the chance to set it up exactly for my needs. I usually use mediums when tuned down and Drew did the calculations to approve the tension was in the correct range. He then spend a lot of time doing the intonation for open, capo 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th frets. He nailed it better than any others I have had.

After putting some hours of play on it I felt the mediums were "restraining" the lower end. So I switched to lights and got the 6th string clarity I desired. I did go to a 13 1st string. The intonation didn't change one bit, correct all the way up to the 15th fret which is as far as I ever go. And rings out with a clear tone up high.

I find his C neck shape very comfortable, but I'm not a fan of the typical V neck shape due to hand size and configuration ( I can't thumb over a Ukulele). It is a very easy to play guitar with a tone that is warm with clarity, not overly "bassy" which can happen with cedar/EIR.

The build is exceptional. His guitars are a bargain at his current prices. Does it sound like the same guitar from we know who. My experience seems to be any differences is down to individual guitars rather than who built them.

Anyone got any questions feel free to contact me.

Thanks for the update as well as the great information! I look forward to comparing notes. Although it’s not even in the spray booth we’re already discussing set up.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:39 PM

I have one coming from Drew this Spring. The Madi on mine looks very close to yours. VERY close!
Old 02-28-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone0305 View Post
I’d love to hear a clip of yours! Good to hear you’re still loving it.
Sure, let me upload an mp3 to dropbox and send you a link. Not that my playing is any good LOL!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop