The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Default SOLD! "Brand New" Tony Karol Signature Master Italian/Ziricote

"BRAND NEW" 2009 Tony Karol Signature Mastergrade Italian Alpine x Presentation Grade Ziricote ... DEAD MINT!!!

PRICE DROP!

This guitar was built in 2009, but effectively BRAND NEW. Please let me explain.... The guitar was sent to Tony in 2020 and the top, back and sides have all been freshly and entirely refinished by Tony himself. There are no dings, scratches and any signs of wear on the neck, fretboard and headstock. So what you have is a guitar whose voice has opened up for over more than a decade, but looks brand new! Is there a better deal out there???

Let's talk about the tone first (because if you scroll down and see the pics you may not care to know how it sounds). But well... the Mastergrade Italian Alpine Spruce is powerful, responsive to a light touch yet doesn't break apart when you give it a good go. Clarity and articulation is delivered in spades, with a sweetness to it, especially in the trebles. This is the character of a good piece of Italian Alpine Spruce. The Ziricote imparts the full-bodied rosewood warmth to the bass notes, with awesome note separation and balance throughout, a tinge of natural reverb, and great sustain. In short, this combination yields a perfect fingerstyle instrument, and then some. You may also find it suitable for light-medium strumming.

Now, if you are a vain person and happen to also like your guitar to look good, this is probably it. The Ziricote is a dream... a real presentation grade piece that you don't see that often in the wild anymore, actually no more! Ziricote is of course known for its beauty and wild figure, and if you have seen lots of Ziricote you will agree that even an example like this is a rare find. Stuff like this would be stashed up by luthiers who would charge an arm and a leg for it. In fact Tony and I spent a long time searching for the perfect piece for my build, it took about 6 months, and it was only possible through a trade he made with another luthier. Once I saw it I was smitten. Countless times have I stared at this piece of Ziricote and gotten lost in it. Its an amazing maze! Spider webbing, sapwood, interlocking grains, wild figure, dark inky lines, you name it, its there. The Alpine is perfectly quartersawn and tight-grained, with medullary rays and fine silking all across the soundboard. Its no longer pure white, of course, and has taken on a natural golden honey hue. The guitar is bound in some high-flamed Koa, which ties the Alpine and Ziricote perfectly. Purflings are done in black/maple/black for a clean and elegant look. The bridge, fingerboard and headstock overlay are all African Blackwood, a premium but super worthy upgrade. The sum of these components give yet more sustain and depth to the tone. The headstock is really one-of-a-kind as it features a 4-piece ABW with 2 lines of sapwood running down the vertical. 4 pieces! Who does that?! Rosette is spalted maple bordered in maple/black purfling continuing the theme around the guitar. The satin-finished neck is 5 piece Honduran Mahogany with a Ziricote center strip and thin black veneers. It is super comfortable and maintenance free, something I absolutely love. The heel cap and end graft is also done in curly Koa to finish off the look. Bone nut and saddle.

This guitar also features a sound port, and a K&K Powermix Pure XT is installed (already a $500 value here). Tuners are Gotoh 510's (21:1) with ebony buttons, and original hardshell case (TKL Tweed) is included.

I want to move this guitar to someone who will appreciate this instrument, and take care of it well. This guitar just does not get the play time it deserves, especially as I am looking at expanding my collection. It will ship directly to you from Tony Karol's workshop, but I will perform the liaising and coordination as required. Today, a brand new guitar with similar specs will set you back approx $8,000. I am asking for $4,250 total, I will take care of shipping and PayPal fees (if chosen as method of payment). I can take bank wire, check or PayPal. The guitar is in absolute immaculate condition, never been gigged before, only played in the house and it has given hours and hours of endless joy.

Some dimension for your reference:

Body Shape: Karol Signature
Length: 19.875
Lower Bout: 16.0
Scale Length: 25.4
Nut Width: 1.7
String Spacing: 2.3125

Tony Karol is a master luthier who hails from Ontario, Canada. He has been building guitars for more than 30 years and can call on the likes of Tommy Emmanuel, Bruce Cockburn, Stephen Bennett, Jay Calder and Sean-Meredith Jones among others, as his clients. Tony also teaches lutherie in his workshop during weekday nights and has groomed dozens and dozens of enthusiasts in pursuing the craft.

My first listing for sale on AGF, hit me up!

The photos have been rotated, it was taken lying on its side. If you want to see more high res pics, PM me.

Frontal view showing off the silking on the Mastergrade Spruce as well as the Spalted Maple Rosette:

Karol Front.jpg

Back view of the crazy Presentation Grade Ziricote:

Karol Back.jpg

Amazing 4-piece African Blackwood Headstock overlay with 2 sap lines, Logo is Gold Mother-of-Pearl:

Karol Headstock.jpg

More pics coming!

Last edited by Hanter; 12-29-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old 02-01-2021, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Here you can see a closer view of the Ziricote, Koa Heel Cap and the satin-finished 5-piece Neck:

Karol Neck.jpg

Gorgeous Curly Koa Binding:

Karol Binding.jpg

Close up of the Spalted Maple Rosette, African Blackwood Bridge. You can also see the thin Maple Purfling on the African Blackwood Fretboard:

Karol Rosette.jpg
Old 02-01-2021, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

End Graft made of Koa. K&K PowerMix Pure XT installed.

Karol End Graft.jpg

This pic shows off another angle on the top and its silking, and the awesome match with the Koa bindings between the top/sides/back.

Karol Front Side.jpg

Very nice and clean joinery, excellent craftsmanship. Side Dot Markers are also Gold Mother-of-Pearl matching the logo.

Karol Side Dot Markers.jpg

Last edited by Hanter; 02-01-2021 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:30 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Gorgeous guitar Hanter! That Ziricote is just unreal!! If I didn't have a custom to pay for soon, I'd probably be inquiring about this one. Best of luck with your sale!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 02-01-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of Tony's work, GLWS.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Gorgeous guitar Hanter! That Ziricote is just unreal!! If I didn't have a custom to pay for soon, I'd probably be inquiring about this one. Best of luck with your sale!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I'm a big fan of Tony's work, GLWS.
Thanks Mike and Teleplucker!
Old 02-05-2021, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Weekend Bump!

I will listen to reasonable offers! Keep those inquiries coming.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:46 PM

Smile Tony Karol

Wow! You know how to write an ad, and cause a major attack of G.A.S.! I did a little research on this luthier. According to an older ad on AGF , his fellow Canadian guitar builder - David Wren- called him "exceptional". I own a Wren guitar, and if HE called Karol that, this guitar must be outstanding. The beauty of the Ziricote and the appointments is at "knock out" level. I would imagine the tone is in in the same league. Best wishes!
Old 02-07-2021, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yow!

I am very surprised you are letting this beauty go, Hanter!!!

Someone will be very pleased, no doubt!

Hanter is a super nice fellow, and knows fine instruments!

Best on this

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymn777 View Post
Wow! You know how to write an ad, and cause a major attack of G.A.S.! I did a little research on this luthier. According to an older ad on AGF , his fellow Canadian guitar builder - David Wren- called him "exceptional". I own a Wren guitar, and if HE called Karol that, this guitar must be outstanding. The beauty of the Ziricote and the appointments is at "knock out" level. I would imagine the tone is in in the same league. Best wishes!
Thanks my friend for the kind words! I hope my writing skills help me represent this guitar as best as the real thing is. Tony Karol has somehow flown under the radar all these years and I am surprised how he doesn't receive more accolades than what's out there. But one thing's for sure, anyone who has ever come across his work does sit up and pay attention from thereon. David Wren is an esteemed builder and one of the top guys from Canada in my opinion. You are very very lucky to own a guitar of his. In 2012 he closed his order booked because he was booked solid for 4-5 years, and last year he informed me that he's calling it quits. A legend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I am very surprised you are letting this beauty go, Hanter!!!

Someone will be very pleased, no doubt!

Hanter is a super nice fellow, and knows fine instruments!

Best on this

Paul
Hey Paul yes I like to limit my collection and thanks for the kind words. I am pretty confident "someone" will be mightily pleased too, eventually.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Weekend bump. Keep warm everyone.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Due to overwhelming demands for soundclips of this guitar, I have requested help from Tony to perhaps fashion a simple recording. Let's see if he can make it happen. In the meantime, please keep warm and stay safe!
Old 02-23-2021, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Here it is! Finally managed to get a soundclip from Tony, very kind of him to help with this. Seeing how he has no recording capabilities in his workshop, this was actually done in a client's home. Don't ask me what the devices were in the recording chain because I wouldn't know haha!

Some fingerpicking and some strumming as requested by some. The maturity and balance shows, and some pizzazz in the final section to sum up its versatility in all styles. You can tell that there is a lot of potential to drive this instrument even harder than what was played.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Still available this beauty of a guitar.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Stimulus check Bump!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars