The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 06:16 AM

One good reason...Can't find any New stock! Checked..GC...MF...and a couple more online stores for NEW Stock...Nothing worth looking at...
What's going on ?????
Old 01-14-2021, 07:38 AM

Maybe it's a pandemic shortage, like bicycles. My husband is getting into cycling. No bikes (the kind he needs) available. He finally ordered one back in November. It should arrive in March.

I will post pictures when the guitar arrives!

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
OM 03, Austrian Walnut.
I have a Austrian Walnut and it is a wonderful wood choice. The notes are very even and smooth, woody & dry, clear and concise= yet warm and full. Quite different than Rosewood or Mahogany.
And very surprising is how much the bass will develop after several months.
Now it actually seems deeper than my rosewood guitar.
Here is my Larrivee Austrian Walnut.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
One good reason...Can't find any New stock! Checked..GC...MF...and a couple more online stores for NEW Stock...Nothing worth looking at...
What's going on ?????
I wonder if Larrivee dropped GC and MF as a dealer. GC and MF had a Christmas sale on inventory but have not been showing new models since. Only showing used on their online store. So maybe Larrivee said au revoir????
Old 01-14-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I have a Austrian Walnut and it is a wonderful wood choice. The notes are very even and smooth, woody & dry, clear and concise= yet warm and full. Quite different than Rosewood or Mahogany.
...And very surprising is how much the bass will develop after several months.
Now it actually seems deeper than my rosewood guitar....
I'm so glad you like yours! You are the first person I've come across that has one.

Yours is beautiful. I think mine is very pretty, but on-line shop pictures often don't do justice. I just hope it's as pretty in real life.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:35 PM

My LS03 in Sitka over walnut was one of the top 5 guitars I’ve owned in more than 50 years of playing. I’d pay a lot to get it back. You’re gonna love it. Walnut, Larrivee style, is a fabulous tone wood. Congratulations.

With regrets,
Rb
Old 01-14-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm so glad you like yours! You are the first person I've come across that has one.

Yours is beautiful. I think mine is very pretty, but on-line shop pictures often don't do justice. I just hope it's as pretty in real life.
Honestly you can not go wrong with any wood combination in Jean Larrivee's guitars. He & his sons are dedicated to making a great product. Jean travels the world picking out great woods. And he does us a great service by offering USA made guitars at such a reasonable price.
He has told me on a few occasions, the wood that can really make a difference.
With that being said; sometimes you just have to own a body shape, a type of wood top, or the type of back and sides to understand if it is the right instrument for yourself.
Trying out new woods can open doors in your creative writing and even better you playing style.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I am looking to buy a 'good' steel-string. I have an inexpensive one that's fine, but I would like better tonality. However, also nothing too extravagant.

I am leaning heavily towards the Larrivee at the moment.

But I thought it prudent to check to see if there was anything I might not be considering.

Thoughts?
My most recent purchase is a slightly used (immaculate) D-03R. D-28 type specs, satin finish, nice tobacco cream binding instead of the blinding white plastic binding on the Martin D-16RGT that I owned briefly last year - BOY I'm glad I git rid of that total dog. Nazareth had no right to let it leave the factory, needed a total neck reset to even be marginally playable. Didn't sound half as good as my older D-16GT, which I like so much that I passed on a fantastic deal for a clean 90's D-18 (ouch what was I thinking?).

Mine is an excellent A/E w/ standard Fishman undersaddle electrics, with one huge flaw - which I was actually pleased to see referenced on another forum: the fret ends weren't dressed at all prior to it leaving the factory. I'm talking danger of drawing blood if I was to get too frisky with up-and-down neck action. I just now took it down to my bench to begin the long and exasperating process of dressing them myself. Fortunately I've never done this before...so I'll use a simple nail file to avoid the risk of doing too much and scoring the binding. I just don't feel like paying $100+ to have a local shop do it.

That aside, it's a fantastic guitar, especially at the <$1100 price point used - try finding a D-28 in that range. Great balanced tone, not with the chunky low end we associate with a well broken in D-28 but better balance to my ears. (My older D-16GT has a similar tone, and I may be getting over my prejudice favoring rosewood B&S.)

The neck is slightly fatter overall than my Martins and Blueridge (which are careful Martin clones in terms of design), very much like the Tacoma DM20 which I sold for no particular reason at all. I don't have large hands and do prefer the slimmer neck since I was a lifelong 90% electric player up till 10 years ago or so. I may consider trucking it over to a good music store to see about a trade for a similar value 000 or 00, just out of restlessness. Which is the only reason I've bought and sold 8 guitars in the past two years.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 01-15-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Honestly you can not go wrong with any wood combination in Jean Larrivee's guitars. He & his sons are dedicated to making a great product. Jean travels the world picking out great woods. And he does us a great service by offering USA made guitars at such a reasonable price.
He has told me on a few occasions, the wood that can really make a difference.
With that being said; sometimes you just have to own a body shape, a type of wood top, or the type of back and sides to understand if it is the right instrument for yourself.
Trying out new woods can open doors in your creative writing and even better you playing style.
I do like that you have a personal connection!

I don't have a playing style. I'm just pleased as punch that I can actually play anything (and sound like I know what I'm doing, er, to non-guitar folk)! I am also working on singing - which has been another adventure. I was always told I can't sing - but have found out, just in the last few years, that part of the issue is that I have a very deep singing voice. Apparently I am a contralto. That fully explains why I don't sing like 'a girl', lol. The guitar range suits me perfectly. So, while I'll never be any good by ordinary standards, I can sing in tune! Who knew?! Very exciting for me! I like to sing along with Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen!

Old 01-15-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post

Mine is an excellent A/E w/ standard Fishman undersaddle electrics, with one huge flaw - which I was actually pleased to see referenced on another forum: the fret ends weren't dressed at all prior to it leaving the factory. I'm talking danger of drawing blood if I was to get too frisky with up-and-down neck action. I just now took it down to my bench to begin the long and exasperating process of dressing them myself. Fortunately I've never done this before...so I'll use a simple nail file to avoid the risk of doing too much and scoring the binding. I just don't feel like paying $100+ to have a local shop do it.

I will watch for that. One of my other guitars has been a little pokey. I may have to up the humidity for the winter. Never had an issue before with any instrument, but maybe it's only that one guitar that need more moisture.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:53 PM

Congrats! I know I am late to the game, but I played a D-03 spruce/hog today. My first time with a Larrivee. It was a joy. This is coming from a guy who played a lot of guitars in the last 2 days! I imagine you are going to be very happy with the OM. Enjoy.

Best,

Mac
Old 01-19-2021, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here is my Larrivee Austrian Walnut.
Beautiful instrument!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:58 AM

It's here! It looks and sounds great. Smells good too.

The back isn't as dramatic as the one just pictured, but is still very pretty.

All good! I'm happy!

Old 01-21-2021, 06:09 AM

Congratulations!

Getting a new instrument is certainly exciting.

I have a Vancouver built 2010 L-03W

It has been a wonderful and inspiring instrument.

It did require a set up by a professional luthier, otherwise a remarkable acoustic guitar.

Enjoy the walnut. It smells wonderful.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 01-21-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsFromMars View Post
Congratulations!

Enjoy the walnut. It smells wonderful.
Thank you!

I played it yesterday. It will take a bit of time to get used to it. It's slightly bigger/different shape than my little steel string. But it was still comfortable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion