The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
We watched both seasons, enjoyed it and look forward to another season if it happens.
Me too. I was wary of it at first as Saoirse Ronan played the titular character in the original film and was her usual excellent self. However, Esme Creed Miles (daughter of Samantha Morton, no less) has really taken the character on and I'm pleased they announced Season 3 in the summer only ten days after season 2 launched.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

On Amazon prime:

"The Dawns are Quiet Here" -2015 series from Russia.

There are 2 versions :one from 1972 and the second from 2015.The 2015 version is much superior.

I realize many folks don't enjoy watching shows with subtitles.This 2015 series is worth it IMO.Acting is superb as well s cinematography ,characters and story line.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
I LOVED The Man in the High Castle. Highly recommend!
I’ve tried twice to get past episode two with no luck. I assume it gets better but how quickly?
Old 12-23-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Curious to hear what you think! [about Fargo]
We made it all the way through season 4. All seasons were
full of off-kilter characters. Don't want to type in any details...

-Mike "OK then..."

Last edited by hubcapsc; 12-23-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:05 PM

I lauded "The Queen's Gambit" several pages back, but with everyone jumping on board I feel the need to express some quibbles. I am the same age as the character in the movie and learned the game at the same age. I'm also from the midwest and played in tournaments at that time.

First, we didn't use those cheap plastic sets they show in the series. You might use those at your school or YMCA club but not at sanctioned tournaments. There was a standard, bottom weighted set that everyone used. In fact, to keep your set separate from everyone else's, we'd put some sort of unique dot pattern on the bottom of each piece just like you do with a golf ball. I've still got my set and my clock.

Second, you never take an opponent's piece by grabbing the piece, removing it from the board and then substituting your piece on the same square. The proper technique is to use your piece to slap your opponent's piece out of the way and move it to the side, all in a single swipe. It's a very stylized move made possible by the bottom-weighting of the pieces.

Finally, you're not going to be the champion of any state in US with an 1800 rating. That's a good rating, but it's nothing noteworthy. If memory serves, it's about "B" level.

I loved the series in spite of these minor flaws, however. I'm just being picky.

FWIW, chess.com has an analysis of many of the games shown in the series, and the analysts are pretty impressed.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:04 PM

I am not sure if this is recently new to Netflix but we are currently working our way through Stranger, a police/prosecutor drama set in Korea with subtitles. It is soooooo good.

Two other Netflix’s that we recently finished that were also amazing:

Fauda, a drama about Israeli Defense forces. Very thought provoking. The English dubbing is atrocious:<

Giri/Haji, a BBC TV show about a Japanese Detective that has to travel to London. I thought it was some of the best television I’ve ever seen.

We go heavy on the crime stuff. I was an Assistant DA and my husband a Police Officer when we married. Had our own version of Hill Street Blues going...lol.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-23-2020, 10:55 PM

My wife and I just binged The Queen's Gambit. I enjoyed it. We are also well into season 4 of the Crown. It's getting even more uncomfortable to watch. I'm also 3 episodes into season 6 of The Expanse.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I’ve tried twice to get past episode two with no luck. I assume it gets better but how quickly?
I did not make it through episode 1, but my Wife kept watching and telling me how good it was. I finally caved when she got to season 3 and she watched it from the beginning with me. Now we are in synch. Yes, it gets better pretty quickly.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 12-24-2020, 12:53 PM

Just watched "Alpha" this morning starring Kodi Smit-McPhee. There is no English only sub titles but is an amazing story.
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 12-24-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
First, we didn't use those cheap plastic sets they show in the series. You might use those at your school or YMCA club but not at sanctioned tournaments. There was a standard, bottom weighted set that everyone used. In fact, to keep your set separate from everyone else's, we'd put some sort of unique dot pattern on the bottom of each piece just like you do with a golf ball. I've still got my set and my clock.

Second, you never take an opponent's piece by grabbing the piece, removing it from the board and then substituting your piece on the same square. The proper technique is to use your piece to slap your opponent's piece out of the way and move it to the side, all in a single swipe. It's a very stylized move made possible by the bottom-weighting of the pieces.

Finally, you're not going to be the champion of any state in US with an 1800 rating. That's a good rating, but it's nothing noteworthy. If memory serves, it's about "B" level.

I loved the series in spite of these minor flaws, however. I'm just being picky.
It's just weird that nobody involved in the production bothered to research such basic things.
Seems like not doing so just shows contempt for the audience.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
That's funny because I made it to episode 3! Just wasn't drawing me in at all, so gave up on it.

scott
Old 12-25-2020, 03:28 PM

We finished the Crown and I'm up to speed on the Expanse. I have to say that current events are actually more compelling television, though. This has been a historic year that will likely be written about - and I hope the world is able to learn new lessons and re-learn old ones that were long forgotten.

Now, that being said I think it's time to jump into Star Trek reruns. I can use some Utopianism right now.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:54 PM

The new Wonder Woman movie was released on HBO Max today, so we’ll probably check that out after dinner!

Old 12-25-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
We finished the Crown and I'm up to speed on the Expanse. I have to say that current events are actually more compelling television, though. This has been a historic year that will likely be written about - and I hope the world is able to learn new lessons and re-learn old ones that were long forgotten.

Now, that being said I think it's time to jump into Star Trek reruns. I can use some Utopianism right now.
Hey Neil, how do you like the Expanse? That popped up as a Amazon Prime recommendation.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:32 PM

“Voices of Fire” on Netflix. 6 heartwarming, touching, inspiring episodes. I was reluctant about starting it, but my wife really wanted to give it a try. But half way through the first episode, I was really wanting to see and hear what was coming next.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic