The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2020, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Removing a pickup from my guitar

What pickup is this a part of? Is it a Fishman Matrix?

I want to remove it. I bought a replacement saddle. Before I start pulling things out, do I need anything else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201026_170527-1.jpg (37.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euraquilo View Post
What pickup is this a part of? Is it a Fishman Matrix?

I want to remove it. I bought a replacement saddle. Before I start pulling things out, do I need anything else?
Looks like a Fishman Matrix Infinity. What would you like to know about it.

Maybe this one or an older version of it.

https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/ma...preamp-system/
Old 11-22-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Looks like a Fishman Matrix Infinity. What would you like to know about it.
I've never removed a pickup before so I posted that image in case there was anything unique about that particular pickup.

I'm assuming that apart from removing those pieces (soundhole controls, battery and strap-jack) it's simply a matter of lifting the saddle and pulling up the under-saddle piezo. then putting my new bone saddle in (sanding as appropriate until well fitted).

Does that about cover the process?
Old 11-22-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euraquilo View Post
I've never removed a pickup before so I posted that image in case there was anything unique about that particular pickup.

I'm assuming that apart from removing those pieces (soundhole controls, battery and strap-jack) it's simply a matter of lifting the saddle and pulling up the under-saddle piezo. then putting my new bone saddle in (sanding as appropriate until well fitted).

Does that about cover the process?
Yes, that about covers it. Be careful and slow removing the volume/tone sound hole controls. It just uses double sided tape to attach, but it is glued to a thin guitar top. Gentle pressure and a small rocking motion and patience. May come off easy, but mine took a little work.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:54 AM

You will probably need to disconnect the UST from the endpin Jack/preamp. Just remove the endpin jack first and bring it out through the sound hole. Then you can detach the pickup.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to you both for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

[Potentially] dumb question...

Are there passive Under Saddle pickups? Or do they all have onboard electronics?

(OK, that was two questions)
Old 11-24-2020, 05:08 PM

Yes there are passive USTs. I used to use a Fishman that I got sometime in the Nineties.

All passive piezos (UST or SBT) will have impedance challenges, so it is important to make sure they see a high impedance input.

USTs tend to have more piezo quack (likely due to their location) and if there is an impedance mismatch, it can sound pretty bad.

It seems like the trend for awhile has been to supply active (with an internal preamp/buffer) USTs in factory guitars. I imagine this is mostly to ensure a good out of (shipping) box experience.

Edit: I took a quick look and to my surprise, most USTs seem to have gone active with internal preamp. I haven't been keeping up with them as I made the decision a decade ago to keep them out of my guitars.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 11-24-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I ask because I picked up a used ToneDexter which seems to love piezos. But I do not like having a battery in my guitars.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:10 AM

You can get a UST with no battery like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Fishman-Acous...0&sr=8-28&th=1

Or people on this forum really seem to like this SBT that also doesn’t require a battery

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Mini-Aco...%2C160&sr=8-26

Both of these work well with the tonedexter.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:25 AM

IME the Tone Dexter works best with passive piezo transducers, at least I've found it easier to get a good sounding wavemap with my passive equipped guitar and mandolin than with the active ones. Audio Sprockets reckon it is good with any UST or SBT system. I have a couple of guitars with Fishman Rare Earths which before the TD were my favourites for gigging but they don't work too well with the TD so I'm going to try USTs in both when I get around to fitting them.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 11-28-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Ovation sells their pickups online and although most players wouldn't want to route out their bridge for the OCP1-K iconic pickup, they may consider installing the SIX STRING THINLINE PICKUP 1/8" CREAM or SIX STRING THINLINE PICKUP 1/8" BLACK, each $37.99, as a drop-in pickup UST solution. This pickup comes mounted to a compensated saddle and given the name of the pickup and Ovation's proximity to Fishman, is likely made by Fishman. An impediment to considering this pickup may be adjusting its height for a particular guitar by likely having to sand the compensated top of the pickup to adjust its height. Then again, it may fit some guitars as is? Another possibility is that the compensated saddle upper part of the system is removable for sanding its bottom to the needed correct height? All available Ovation pickups

SIX STRING THINLINE PICKUP 1/8" CREAM and SIX STRING THINLINE PICKUP 1/8" BLACK:
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-28-2020 at 09:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification