The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-01-2020, 01:03 PM

Default Mental Health Support Thread

Many of us suffered mental illnesses at one point or more in our lives. Let's support those here who needs it.

Quote:
My family likes to call me a cat. I've gone through a lot of surgical operations in my life and my body is riddled with scars. I've dodged death many times.

I've suffered a torn abdomen, torn aorta, fractured left elbow, fractured left knee, fractured left hand, fractured left and right wrists, fractured head, brain tumor, traumatic brain injury, frontal brain hemorrhage, bilateral collapsed lungs and fractured jaw.

I have metal hardware on the left knee, left hand, left wrist and left elbow. I have a patch holding my aorta in place and partial front dentures.

Most of the damage was done from my I suffering of mental illnesses. Major depression, reoccurring with suicide attempts. I've jumped out of a 40 feet building, landing head first on concrete. I've overdosed on my own prescription medication. I've been talked out of the top ramp of the Mall of America parking lot by police.

Despite all the suffering, I thank God, my family and close friends for all the support throughout my life. I could not have asked God for a better family and friends.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-02-2020 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I believe that support and empathy for those with mental health issues have faltered because they can't be more objectively identified as is the case with pure medical issues. The other side of some mental health issues is that the resultant observable behaviors are often off-putting to John Q. Public. I say this as someone with prior experience that as a result, mental health issues are either invisible, off-putting or both. This is tragic because mental health issues cause pain and death to those who suffer from them and much collateral damage to those around them. Just because you can't measure and observe mental health issues doesn't mean they don't exist...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-04-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I believe that support and empathy for those with mental health issues have faltered because they can't be more objectively identified as is the case with pure medical issues.
Actually, they can be - though I will confess that the way individuals' minds function are often the result of learned behavior and not from neurochemical imbalances. Mental disabilities and diseases are both diagnosed here in the US using the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM–5) manual which is essentially a checklist of symptoms.

The biggest obstacle to getting diagnosed however is the stigma, so many people avoid getting help because they'll be ridiculed, belittled or made to feel weak. Many are also worried that if their employers find that they are taking medication or attending therapy that it will negatively impact their job performance and emotional stability under stress.

Quote:
The other side of some mental health issues is that the resultant observable behaviors are often off-putting to John Q. Public. I say this as someone with prior experience that as a result, mental health issues are either invisible, off-putting or both. This is tragic because mental health issues cause pain and death to those who suffer from them and much collateral damage to those around them. Just because you can't measure and observe mental health issues doesn't mean they don't exist...
Hence my use of the term "stigma" and pointing out that there is a Mental Health Awareness Month every May. There's also an Autism Awareness Month in the preceding month of April. There is a lot of ignorance out there that still likes to poke fun at the mentally ill and disabled - particularly the latter; the former are actually feared by the general population and ridiculed as a coping mechanism.

The response has not been positive IMO and the DSM has either broadened the parameters to inflate the number of cases or change the terminology to something that's less "offensive" to those bearing the labels of their diagnoses (and thereby further trivializing these diagnoses by making them seem to be mere adjustments for the sake of political correctness.)

Then there's the blurred line between mental illness and mental disability. To the ignorant, they are one and the same. They are not, but the mentally disabled can also suffer from mental illness which would seem more profound because they lack the coping mechanisms because of their disability.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Actually, they can be - though I will confess that the way individuals' minds function are often the result of learned behavior and not from neurochemical imbalances. Mental disabilities and diseases are both diagnosed here in the US using the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM–5) manual which is essentially a checklist of symptoms...
I've worked in residential mental health facilities and been part of treatment teams and saw how psychiatrists, psychologists, clinical social workers and psychiatric nurses used DSM to develop diagnoses. Since mental health diagnoses are a function of observable behaviors and reported symptoms, I believe that such diagnoses are perceived by some in a much different way than the results of an MRI, EKG, blood test, CAT scan or the like. DSM has been very much a work in progress and subject to change throughout its existence. As an example, look at the varied ways that the Diagnostic Manual has addressed autism in 50 years. I tend to think behaviorally in terms of shaping behavior but I also believe very strongly from my own experience that neurochemical imbalances can play a critical role in mental health...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-04-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I've worked in residential mental health facilities and been part of treatment teams and saw how psychiatrists, psychologists, clinical social workers and psychiatric nurses used DSM to develop diagnoses. Since mental health diagnoses are a function of observable behaviors and reported symptoms, I believe that such diagnoses are perceived by some in a much different way than the results of an MRI, EKG, blood test, CAT scan or the like. I tend to think behaviorally in terms of shaping behavior but I also believe very strongly from my own experience that neurochemical imbalances should be addressed...
I was in a IRTS facility twice in my life and lived in a AFC twice in my life as well now.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
I was in a IRTS facility twice in my life and lived in a AFC twice in my life as well now.
That gives you a very unique perspective. I think it's important to keep in mind that many of us have various mental health issues to a greater or lesser extent; but the important thing is not necessarily the mere existence of those issues but the extent to which those issues affect daily functioning. As I gathered professional experience I began to realize that often the only difference between us (staff) and them (patients) was the keys that we're given that allow us to unlock doors and leave.
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-05-2020 at 04:44 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic