The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-23-2020, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I also have a Bose L1 Compact and Fishman Loudbox Mini. I'd love your thoughts on acoustic guitar tone on comparison to the Fishman LB Mini. The L1 Compact is in another league IMO being much bigger, more power and the versatility of the modular height tower extensions.
I played through it for a few minutes yesterday with a JJB equipped Ibanez acoustic and the guitar tone was much nicer than what I can get out of my Loudbox Mini. It just kinda sang and sparkled with the tonematch on. Without the tonematch it was still a very good guitar tone, but I didn't feel like it was anything I couldn't get out of my other equipment. Really like it with the tonematch and since I'm one that likes to plug straight in it was nice that I didn't feel any need to use a preamp. I'm going to keep my L1c and probably the LB Mini because they pair well for larger venues but I can see my LB Performer going up for sale in the future.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-23-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

I have an L1c, an S1, and a FLB Mini. In terms of tone and personal preference, that's the order I'd put them in, as well. For years, I used the Mini with the L1c and was pleased with how they complimented each other - the Mini added some nice mids when used with the L1c.

When my Mini crapped out and it took Fishman almost 3 times as long to repair and return it as they said it would, I bought an S1. I greatly prefer the sound of the S1 over the LBM for both guitar and vocal. I have used the S1 on its own, where I was never happy with that with the Mini.

The L1c and S1 together are a very nice combination. I like the reverb on the S1 and run a line out from that to the L1c. I most often run a Play Acoustic for the vocal effects and guitar tone shaping before the S1.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I went to Guitar Center today to check out a Bose S1 Pro. I brought my Martin D-18 Cutaway w/Baggs Anthem and also my pedal board. (Baggs Align Session, Baggs Align EQ, Nuenaber Seraphim Shimmer Reverb pedal and RC Boost for clean solo's.

I compared the Bose S1 Pro to a Fishman Loudbox Artist. At first I was seduced by the low end punch of the Artist, but after playing through the Bose S1 Pro w/Tonematch engaged ....I was done. The Bose S1 Pro has a clarity, purity and openness with a bit more sparkle and no bloat. When I switched back to the Loudbox Artist, I felt I needed to dial the midrange all the way out and even though there may have been more warmth or low mid punch, it sounded congested to me. I didn't try singing through the Bose S1 Pro, but I'm betting it will be more pure and clear than the Fishman Loudbox.

Brought home a Bose S1 Pro! ....so ....I'm IN!! It makes sense as a compliment to my Bose L1 Compact and I can use this as a stand alone. I was amazed at how clear and encompassing it sounds!

I'll make a demo Video recording and compare to my Fishman Loudbox Mini (which I already own)
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 07-23-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:26 PM

Kudos and congratulations Groberts.
Enjoy your new Bose S1.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I played the Bose S1 Pro more last night. I am really impressed. I will create a new thread where I compare it to my Fishman Loudbox Mini. The Bose S1 Pro (for similar money) brings more to the equation with its versatility.

I can also envision a pair of these being a super nice combination.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-24-2020, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I played the Bose S1 Pro more last night. I am really impressed. I will create a new thread where I compare it to my Fishman Loudbox Mini. The Bose S1 Pro (for similar money) brings more to the equation with its versatility.

I can also envision a pair of these being a super nice combination.
Thanks for the comparison. This has been my experience as well, having used a LB Artist prior to the S1. I find that I can use a switched cable and change between my 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars and my electric Mandolin all on one channel on the S1. I've had to get used to much better saturation and lower volume as the S1 'covers' the room better than the LB could as it is more focused straight forward. Still love the LB but it's hard to beat the S1 for a simple set it and forget it PA solution!
Old 07-24-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

I cleared out a section of my warehouse so I could get the band together, and last night we had our first rehearsal in months. It was also the first time I could really crank the S1s up, and hear them. Unfortunately, my bandmates thought they sounded better than my Schertler Jam ( no! Not my Schertler! ) but I’ve not done a side by side comparison. I ran them on battery ( actually, just one, as they felt the 2 together were too loud ) and the battery on the one lasted about 4 hours with showing any sign of losing power. I did not go for a full endurance test, but one of these days . . .

I have been using a wireless transmitter in my guitar, and when I picked up these Bose the seller also had a couple wireless Sennheiser mics, so I got those too - i have to say, they sounded quite good, and worked flawlessly. I can easily see a very functional wireless set-up here, although I would be concerned about interference in some situations - but we’ll have to see if I ever get a chance to be in some situations again -

Next test, is to use the 2 S1s plugged into the T1 Tonematch, and see how I can put all that together and make it sound. It would be interesting to see if I could find a battery pack that could power the T1 and my pedals, then I could be free of all plug-in power needs - but one extension cord ain’t bad -
Old 07-24-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

I am creating a New Amp Day Post shortly .... and posting a Video of the Bose S1 Pro ...and another Video of the Bose S1 Pro Compared to Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. But will share here since it might be helpful

Bose S1 Pro Demo

Bose S1 Pro Versus Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-25-2020, 07:17 AM

I listened through quality headphones. In this room situation, I thought the Bose sounded a bit sterile to my ears. The Fishman sounded more like what I want to hear an acoustic guitar sound like...warm. I always remove most of the mids in my Loudbox Artist anyway.
It’s likely a matter of personal preference. I actually use an EQ pedal through my Loudbox when I play out to fine tune it to the room.
The Bose would likely “cut” better in a band situation. Both seem to do what you need. I do know the Bose has better close up dispersion because my friend leew has one and he’s used it alongside me in a few gigs.
Thanks for doing the comparison

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-25-2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:19 AM

Nice reviews! It should be noted that the Bose S1 Pro automatically EQ's differently base on the positioning of the unit. I find the "monitor" position (how you have it in the video) to be my least favorite for anything but when it's actually being used as a monitor.

Also, for anyone comparing the S1 Pro to other comparable amps: IMO the S1 Pro is right up there in tone with the best acoustic amps (I wouldn't say it's the best but right there with 'em..) Where it separates itself (dramatically IMO) is when you start singing through them. The Bose is superb with vox. The only amp comparable in BOTH departments is the Genzler acoustic array pro... Again, I'm talkimg if you want an amp you are going to both sing and play through.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
...the Bose S1 Pro automatically EQ's differently base on the positioning of the unit.
Do you know if that can be defeated or not?

I almost bought an S1 Pro the other day, but it was gone before I was able to get to it. With that in mind, what's a fair price range for a used one anyway? I was thinking 350-400?
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Wanted to post an update since I put my S1 through the paces at two gigs this weekend. I’m very impressed. Very clear and tons of volume given the size of the unit. I think I’ll be keeping my Loudbox Mini for very small / low volume venues but the S1 will be going everywhere else. For my larger venues I’ll use my LB Mini into my L1c as that combination has great low end and wider dispersion.

All in all I’m very happy with my S1 and will be relying on it for 90% of my gigs.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Wanted to post an update since I put my S1 through the paces at two gigs this weekend. I’m very impressed. Very clear and tons of volume given the size of the unit. I think I’ll be keeping my Loudbox Mini for very small / low volume venues but the S1 will be going everywhere else. For my larger venues I’ll use my LB Mini into my L1c as that combination has great low end and wider dispersion.

All in all I’m very happy with my S1 and will be relying on it for 90% of my gigs.
Are you singing through the LB Mini as well or just playing?
Old 07-28-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Are you singing through the LB Mini as well or just playing?
I'm singing through it too and it works great for guitar and vocals.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification