The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Wow, just wow Mark. I have loved every Tree guitar you have made. This is a master work of art! I would like to post photos if you don't mind!
Old 05-08-2020, 03:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Wow, just wow Mark. I have loved every Tree guitar you have made. This is a master work of art! I would like to post photos if you don't mind!
Thanks BBWW, Sure, your welcome to post any of the pictures.
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 05-10-2020, 08:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Frets and Bridge

Here is an update picture of the guitar with Macassar Ebony bridge on and the gold EVO frets installed:

Thank you for viewing!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 05-10-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here is an update picture of the guitar with Macassar Ebony bridge on and the gold EVO frets installed:

Thank you for viewing!
Mark
So, elegant looking, beautiful work Mark.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you for viewing!

Mark

This is an extraordinary guitar. The woods used are truly special - both in terms of the final look you have managed to achieve but also in their scarcity. There can’t be many sets of “The Tree” that are this fine still out there..?

Do you find that you work differently when using, for example, a piece of “The Tree”, rather than a less spectacular piece of wood? Are these builds slower because you are taking more care over the wood or do they progress like a build with more ordinary looking wood.

Keep it up! Breathtaking stuff.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
So, elegant looking, beautiful work Mark.
Thanks doodahdoug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwood22 View Post
This is an extraordinary guitar. The woods used are truly special - both in terms of the final look you have managed to achieve but also in their scarcity. There can’t be many sets of “The Tree” that are this fine still out there..?

Do you find that you work differently when using, for example, a piece of “The Tree”, rather than a less spectacular piece of wood? Are these builds slower because you are taking more care over the wood or do they progress like a build with more ordinary looking wood.

Keep it up! Breathtaking stuff.
Those are some good questions ryanwood22. Good quality Tree sets are still out there but the price is climbing.
I had to think about how to answer whether I work differently on Tree wood guitars. I certainly sweat bending those expensive sides more than usual.

When I get an order for a Tree guitar the client usually has something very special in mind. I also know that a Tree build gets a lot more attention here on AGF. So I go into it knowing the stakes may be higher than on other builds. I don't think that I spend a lot more time on the build because it is a Tree however. I put all of myself into all of my builds and well, that's all there is!

It is a challenge to find a good overall visual balance when the figure of the wood is spectacular to begin with. I don't want to try to distract from that look so I want to work in something that compliments all that figure and has a cohesive overall look.

Looking back the Tree builds are pretty representative of my work in the years I made those instruments. I did separate build threads for each so I'll attach links to those threads.

2013 I made my first, a Greta GA with a Western Red Cedar top.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=319814

2014 It was a Penelope 000 with a sunburst alpine Italian Spruce top
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=334296

2016 Was my "Magpie" Penelope nylon cross-over with a Swiss alpine Spruce Moon top
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=399124

This Great GA is my forth and on August 1st I have a scheduled start on my fifth Tree which will be my first Josie small jumbo in the this wood:

I have been very happy with the tone and response I've gotten from these Tree builds so as expensive as the wood is, it's not all just for show!

Mark

Old 05-10-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
2013 I made my first, a Greta GA with a Western Red Cedar top.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=319814

2014 It was a Penelope 000 with a sunburst alpine Italian Spruce top
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=334296

2016 Was my "Magpie" Penelope nylon cross-over with a Swiss alpine Spruce Moon top
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=399124

This Great GA is my forth and on August 1st I have a scheduled start on my fifth Tree which will be my first Josie small jumbo in the this wood:

I have been very happy with the tone and response I've gotten from these Tree builds so as expensive as the wood is, it's not all just for show!

Mark

This latest one is definitely the pick of your previous builds. Just gorgeous blending of colours and accouterments.
I'm hoping it's just a case of reflections, but it looks like the bottom half of the guitar has no finish on it!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-10-2020, 10:15 PM

Mark, kudos. This guitar is spectacular. The beautiful wood of course, but the craftsmanship of the bevels and their details are simple astounding. Everything about this instrument is perfect. Congratulations.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post

This latest one is definitely the pick of your previous builds. Just gorgeous blending of colours and accouterments.
I'm hoping it's just a case of reflections, but it looks like the bottom half of the guitar has no finish on it!!
I don’t know Zandit75, I try not to play favorites with my builds. These are all Tree guitars built with different goals and features. For instance a OOO Penelope model being a smaller guitar doesn’t benefit from an arm bevel like a larger Greta GA does. I will say the flourishes on this latest one were a real push but, cutting out those bone inlays for the Magpies was a trick too!
Thanks for commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sford52 View Post
Mark, kudos. This guitar is spectacular. The beautiful wood of course, but the craftsmanship of the bevels and their details are simple astounding. Everything about this instrument is perfect. Congratulations.
Thanks sford52!

Old 05-11-2020, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Smile What a looker!!!

Wow Mark!

Such a beauty!!!

Stay well, and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-11-2020, 12:56 PM

Insanely beautiful work and pretty snazzy materials as well.....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 05-11-2020, 01:23 PM

My goodness, that is simply a work of art! Absolutely stunning! Well done, Mark!

That burst from 2014 is pretty spectacular too!
Old 05-11-2020, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Wow Mark!

Such a beauty!!!

Stay well, and have FUN

Paul
Thanks Paul! I’m having fun and staying healthy! You too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Insanely beautiful work and pretty snazzy materials as well.....
Thanks ukejon, I’m very happy seeing this one come together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
My goodness, that is simply a work of art! Absolutely stunning! Well done, Mark!

That burst from 2014 is pretty spectacular too!
Thanks Treenewt, That sunburst was a new twist for me. I particularly liked the sun burst neck on that one which has shown up on other guitars since.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Mark

Old 05-11-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Everyone is focused on the Tree, and deservedly so, but I think that is one of the most beautiful sets of redwood I have ever seen. Uniquely awesome figured redwood.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Everyone is focused on the Tree, and deservedly so, but I think that is one of the most beautiful sets of redwood I have ever seen. Uniquely awesome figured redwood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Thanks Jamiejoon! I got that top set out of a billet I purchased a while ago:

I got three nice top sets out of this one. They were snapped up pretty quickly. The first set went on this parlor:

The second set is the one on this Tree guitar I finishing up.

The third set went on to a Greta and is getting the finish on it now:

It's nice to get them in batches so you have extras when you start out and more experience using them when you get to the end.

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop