The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 09:37 PM

According to the CDC which is probably the best data source, the increase trom day to day is as follows

24 march 13987
25 March 16916
26 march 17965
27 march 19332

So yes, the daily increases have been less than 20k but they have always been less than 20k so I am not sure how this fact should be an encouraging sign at all. Instead the rate of increases have been steadily increasing.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ses-in-us.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I've no idea what you're talking about. According to worldometer.info (which I believe many/most of us have been following for data) logged 123,578 total cases for 3/28 and 142,047 for 3/29...

...thus fewer than +20k new cases for 3/29.

The third consecutive day of fewer than +20k new daily cases in USA.

Edit: To clarify, it's the third consecutive day under +20k that would have been greater than +20k if the curve wasn't flattening - the USA has never had a day of greater than +20k)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I've no idea what you're talking about. According to worldometer.info (which I believe many/most of us have been following for data) logged 123,578 total cases for 3/28 and 142,047 for 3/29...

...thus fewer than +20k new cases for 3/29.

The third consecutive day of fewer than +20k new daily cases in USA.

Edit: To clarify, it's the third consecutive day under +20k that would have been greater than +20k if the curve wasn't flattening - the USA has never had a day of greater than +20k)
He just mixed up US and worldwide numbers. First number was total US cases, second was worldwide increase.

The US isn’t remotely close to flattening out, nor is the world. Both are still going up exponentially. Those three consecutive days of less than 20k new cases followed days of less than 15k new, less than 10k new, etc.

You realize that we just passed Italy and China three days ago, when we pushed past 80,000 cases. By the end of the day tomorrow, we will already have more than doubled that.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:39 PM

They're off. The numbers I get are the one's that the WHO's numbers agree with. Here's the compilation from today as it goes up like the doomsday clock.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 9.37.02 PM.jpg
Old 03-29-2020, 09:44 PM

Current U.S. numbers.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 9.42.13 PM.jpg
Old 03-29-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermike View Post
The US isn’t remotely close to flattening out
Respectfully disagree. If you look at the logarithmic graph of USA cases, it is clearly nosing over and beginning to flatten.

Now, it's entirely possible it'll take back off. Is is certainly very early. However, there is currently clear evidence the exponential growth has slowed.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Apparently there is an unofficial theme song to the Covid 19 virus situation:

REM" it's the end of the world as we know it"...and I feel fine.....
Old 03-29-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Respectfully disagree. If you look at the logarithmic graph of USA cases, it is clearly nosing over and beginning to flatten.

Now, it's entirely possible it'll take back off. Is is certainly very early. However, there is currently clear evidence the exponential growth has slowed.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this will be a trend in the long term. Right now, NYC is the hotbed which has done a pretty good job at social distancing, so that's affecting the overall numbers. I think, next week or the week after, some other city will explode and that will lead to another surge. Hopefully I'm wrong, like I said, and most states and cities take it seriously so that does not happen. That's not what I see for the most part though.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-29-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
They're off. The numbers I get are the one's that the WHO's numbers agree with. Here's the compilation from today as it goes up like the doomsday clock.

Attachment 35247
As I said, that is usually right, but it has been WAY off several times during this outbreak.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-29-2020, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this will be a trend in the long term. Right now, NYC is the hotbed which has done a pretty good job at social distancing, so that's affecting the overall numbers. I think, next week or the week after, some other city will explode and that will lead to another surge. Hopefully I'm wrong, like I said, and most states and cities take it seriously so that does not happen. That's not what I see for the most part though.
Actually, NYC must shut down its mass transit system and advocate for everyone to walk, rent a bike or rent a scooter, to get downtown. Wearing PPE and wiping down all the way.

And they have to shut down the airports now. At the current time they are just acting as transit zones for the corona viruses to hitch a ride to Denver, or San Diego, or El Paso, who knows where this wandering virus wants to go?
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 03-29-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
....At the current time they are just acting as transit zones for the corona viruses to hitch a ride to Denver, or San Diego, or El Paso, who knows where this wandering virus wants to go?
HEY, HEY, HEY.............. Let's keep them out of Denver.....
Old 03-30-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong on this.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Interesting presentation of available data by a professor of microbiology in London.

First, while much of the world's media is focused on the number of total cases, looking instead at the first 10 cases per million inhabitants presents a very different picture of where we stand, with Italy and Switzerland being the main centers in Europe at the moment:
Attachment 35209

Additionally, he looked at the data from China (which he finds to be credible for a number of reasons, one being that when China ran out of tests they switched to other diagnostic tools). There he found a 10 day lag between the plateau of new, active cases (what I've been calling new, currently positive cases) and the start of the decline of the total currently positive cases.
Attachment 35208

He concludes that lockdowns are unlikely to be lifted in Europe before the beginning of May due to the substantial lag.
If you just look at these charts of different countries the upward trend is clear even though at various points the curve is jagged and even seems to temporarily flatten or decrease In steepness. It is unfortunately far too optimistic to expect USA to be flattening out at this very early stage in the pandemic progression when the whole country has hardly locked down yet and has not proscribed interstate travel...
Old 03-30-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
If you just look at these charts of different countries the upward trend is clear even though at various points the curve is jagged and even seems to temporarily flatten or decrease In steepness. It is unfortunately far too optimistic to expect USA to be flattening out at this very early stage in the pandemic progression when the whole country has hardly locked down yet and has not proscribed interstate travel...
Just a suggestion , if I may .
Don't apply the numbers from other nations . We aren't them and they aren't us . If you were to do this , people would have been dropping like flies here from Ebola .

Last edited by Lkristians; 03-30-2020 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 03-30-2020, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

I have no doubt that the number of COVID19 cases in the US is increasing, but I continue to question what % of those are due to testing that's now available and/or individuals who previously had mild symptoms that were not brought to the attention of those who count cases...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-30-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I have no doubt that the number of COVID19 cases in the US is increasing, but I continue to question what % of those are due to testing that's now available and/or individuals who previously had mild symptoms that were not brought to the attention of those who count cases...

That’s why mortality rate and people infected so far is almost irrelevant. There is no way to know for sure.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic