The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Found a 15w amp i'm very interested in-Vox AC15

I like the looks, the tone, controls, price point is similar to other 15w amps I've been looking into(PRS Sonzera 20/ Fender Bassbreaker 15/ Fender Tonemaster deluxe reverb). The below video with Mick Taylor impressed upon me the variety of tones possible with it, takes pedals fine apparently, but the amp alone seems to provide a lot of variety. The built in reverb and tremolo sound best to my ears than others. One negative is the weight, but, honestly it will stay in my house probably 98% of the time, little movement. It does not provide any type of output power reduction like some of the other amps I've looked at, but, all the videos show ways to use the controls to still have good sound and a low volume.

There is no effects loop input on the back. What does that exactly mean, what does it not allow?

Appear to be two current variations, $699 has the 12" Celestion 25-watt Greenback speaker/ $899 has 12" 16-ohm Celestion Alnico Blue speaker. So I need to research these two speaker variations-but for my home use I think the green back would be more than fine. Anyone with experience of these two variations?

The tele in this video sounds amazing btw!

They carry on at the start but when they get into the video, Mick shows a lot of variation of the controls while the other guy plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggi4Nkwmkf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17xawjdgOsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOHlRItybs
Old 02-12-2020, 05:51 PM

It’s a good amp well suited for gigging. Last time I checked you seemed settled on the Yamaha THR—. Have you considered the Vox AC10C1
Old 02-12-2020, 06:06 PM

Have you looked at the Supro Blues King 12 ???? It's my favorite amp at this time, clean as a whistle...….https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B&&FORM=VDRVRV
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 02-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

You mean this? I love mine! I’ve had it long enough to say it just keeps getting better. I have the Greenback version. There is a ton of info out there on these, and various opinions on the speaker selection. My Greenback version provides all that I need.

I’ve found it takes pedals with no issue. BUT....I will say it was a little more finicky regarding overdrives. After a ton of research I ended up with the “Hotcake” by Crowther. It’s a hand made pedal made specifically with the AC15 in mind. The AC15 LOVES this overdrive. It has 2 different settings. At least the version I have does. Normal, and then flipping the internal switch accesses the “Blueberry” setting.

In addition, it plays very nicely with the RAT also.

My home rig is pretty simple.
AC15- TC electronics spark mini, Crowther Hotcake, Rat, Earthquakes Devices Dispatch Master (reverb/delay combo pedal).

I absolutely love this setup. I’ve owned some decent amps over the years ranging from a 65 TRRI, Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister, Fender Blues Junior Lacquered Tweed with Jensen, etc. and the VOX is my favorite flavor by far.

The more time I’ve spent playing it the more I love the greenback. It’s starting to “break in” and sounds better every time I play it.

The lack of an “effects loop” is a bit of a bummer but not a huge deal to me as I use this as a home/studio amp only. I’ve used it live once (it did superbly), but typically I use my live rig when playing out.

There are folks that change the speaker, or the stock tubes, etc. but to me it sounds great stock. When I need to replace tubes I’ll consider upgrading them, but feel no need to replace them just to do so. I like the greenback so I have no real desire to do anything different there.

I’d say it’s fairly easy to dial in useable tones. There are quite a few in the amp. It can be a bit bright on the “Top Boost” side but when dialed in it produces the tones that made it famous. Think Brian May.

If you can take your guitar and play through one that would be ideal. I did play through an AC10 and liked it but I really bonded with the AC15.

Please keep us posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB879C43-49AD-4F16-B504-7E8CC3FFA810.jpg (42.1 KB, 154 views)
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-12-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
...I’d say it’s fairly easy to dial in useable tones. There are quite a few in the amp. It can be a bit bright on the “Top Boost” side but when dialed in it produces the tones that made it famous...

IMO if it produces this one, that's all you need:

Old 02-12-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

That’s pretty incredible footage - that Vox sound transferred well over to broadcast radio, and was fundamental to the British Invasion ‘sound’ - there’s a spike in the high upper mid frequency range that communicates well, almost on a vocal level.

I won’t mention any names, but there has/ was a wave a darker voiced amps produced to cater to modern metal, said to have aided in the demise of the genre (too dark).
Old 02-12-2020, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

No one can argue with that!
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-12-2020, 06:58 PM

Here's a sample recording of my Supro's line out....https://waynekraft.bandcamp.com/track/supro-line-out
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 02-12-2020, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
You mean this? I love mine! I’ve had it long enough to say it just keeps getting better. I have the Greenback version. There is a ton of info out there on these, and various opinions on the speaker selection. My Greenback version provides all that I need.

I’ve found it takes pedals with no issue. BUT....I will say it was a little more finicky regarding overdrives. After a ton of research I ended up with the “Hotcake” by Crowther. It’s a hand made pedal made specifically with the AC15 in mind. The AC15 LOVES this overdrive. It has 2 different settings. At least the version I have does. Normal, and then flipping the internal switch accesses the “Blueberry” setting.

In addition, it plays very nicely with the RAT also.

My home rig is pretty simple.
AC15- TC electronics spark mini, Crowther Hotcake, Rat, Earthquakes Devices Dispatch Master (reverb/delay combo pedal).

I absolutely love this setup. I’ve owned some decent amps over the years ranging from a 65 TRRI, Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister, Fender Blues Junior Lacquered Tweed with Jensen, etc. and the VOX is my favorite flavor by far.

The more time I’ve spent playing it the more I love the greenback. It’s starting to “break in” and sounds better every time I play it.

The lack of an “effects loop” is a bit of a bummer but not a huge deal to me as I use this as a home/studio amp only. I’ve used it live once (it did superbly), but typically I use my live rig when playing out.

There are folks that change the speaker, or the stock tubes, etc. but to me it sounds great stock. When I need to replace tubes I’ll consider upgrading them, but feel no need to replace them just to do so. I like the greenback so I have no real desire to do anything different there.

I’d say it’s fairly easy to dial in useable tones. There are quite a few in the amp. It can be a bit bright on the “Top Boost” side but when dialed in it produces the tones that made it famous. Think Brian May.

If you can take your guitar and play through one that would be ideal. I did play through an AC10 and liked it but I really bonded with the AC15.

Please keep us posted.
i'll just say that having been hunting hard the last 2 weeks in the 15w range of tube amps, last night I happened upon this Vox RC15 and it was like immediate, "yea, I really like this". the more I listened and watched regarding it, the more I was like "yep, I think this is the one to definitely keep in my eyesight". There is just something about the tone coming out of these that draws me in. The other amps I've been looking at are fine, but this one really touched something inside.

In that first video I listed, they spend a lot of time with the Hotcake pedal-and yes, it sounded mighty fine.
I like the clean sounds coming from this a lot. They used the Tele, a PRS, a Les Paul, Strat, and a very cool (new to me) Duesenburg Bonneville in white-sounded and looked AMAZING!!
https://duesenbergusa.com/guitars/bonneville
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dbn-cr_stage_n.jpg (14.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I like the Supro Blues Kings a lot as well. Someone had mentioned that in another thread of mine and it has a special sound. But......that Vox, just something happening there.

d
Old 02-12-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
It’s a good amp well suited for gigging. Last time I checked you seemed settled on the Yamaha THR—. Have you considered the Vox AC10C1
Yea, I have a THR enroute, but I've still been looking thru these combo amps "just in case" the THR doesn't do it for me, or for down the road.

I'll check out the 10C1, have not done that yet.

thank you
d
Old 02-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
i'll just say that having been hunting hard the last 2 weeks in the 15w range of tube amps, last night I happened upon this Vox RC15 and it was like immediate, "yea, I really like this". the more I listened and watched regarding it, the more I was like "yep, I think this is the one to definitely keep in my eyesight". There is just something about the tone coming out of these that draws me in. The other amps I've been looking at are fine, but this one really touched something inside.

In that first video I listed, they spend a lot of time with the Hotcake pedal-and yes, it sounded mighty fine.
I like the clean sounds coming from this a lot. They used the Tele, a PRS, a Les Paul, Strat, and a very cool (new to me) Duesenburg Bonneville in white-sounded and looked AMAZING!!
https://duesenbergusa.com/guitars/bonneville
Yes I watched that video when looking for a good overdrive match. I love how they dispelled the “these don’t take overdrive pedals well” hogwash.

His Tele is phenomenal. But that Duesenberg may have needed a new nut as it wouldn’t hold tune very long. I looked into these when I was shopping for my Japanese Gretsch. They’re certainly cool guitars...but I preferred the Gretsch for a variety of reasons. Still, they make some gorgeous guitars.

The AC15 has earned it’s well deserved reputation.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-12-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
Yea, I have a THR enroute, but I've still been looking thru these combo amps "just in case" the THR doesn't do it for me, or for down the road.

I'll check out the 10C1, have not done that yet.

thank you
d
I only ask in case you’re not familiar with the kind of volume/ power a 15 watt tube amp is capable of for home use. It’s convenient to have a smooth volume taper or attenuation as these things can be heard far down a city block. On the other hand, the Yamaha THR looks desktop friendly - in a completely different league.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:31 PM

Haven’t played electric in 5 years or so. Before that I had a AC15 CC. It was outstanding.

I’ve had Dr Z, Victoria, nice Fenders, etc., but it was my favorite. I did install a Celestion Blue, a larger reverb tank, and some old tubes. The tremolo was throbbing like a heart beat, and the larger reverb was beautiful. Loved that amp. But, nowadays, I just play acoustic.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Here's a sample recording of my Supro's line out....https://waynekraft.bandcamp.com/track/supro-line-out
Nice tone. Ya man. That sounds good. What did the Line Out go to.?? Direct to a computer.?? Is it safe for me to assume that any effects, pedals, will be in the recording.??

I have these questions because I've ordered a Fender Super Champ x2. This amp has a Line Out and a USB cable. I get the lacquered tweed edition Friday. I'll post up when I get it. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

You must be loving that Supro. Sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars