The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-05-2020, 04:01 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Schweeet!! That is one sexy guitar.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Calligraphy at it's finest!

Looking good, Ben and Tom!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-05-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
All those curves are just wondrous! The lines and the "swoop" at the sound hole are just works of art! Loving this build!!! Thanks for the additional pics, Tom.
Thanks a bunch. This look is really something and it all flows so well, overused term, but organic in design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Schweeet!! That is one sexy guitar.
She does have quite a figure, I have to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Calligraphy at it's finest!

Looking good, Ben and Tom!
Yes, Calligraphy pen working well to accent the lines of the sound hole/port. I really like how he widen those lines on Ariel from the prototype.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:33 PM

Reminds me of Murray Kuun's elegant work:

Old 02-06-2020, 08:55 PM

Well, the box is pretty much done and looks great. I try not to exaggerate too often and I can honestly say this is looking even better to me than I had hoped or expected. I am really loving the way the dark streaks in the top are working with ebony bindings. I think they both accentuate the other to really work great together.

nautilox finished body.jpg nautilox finished body 1.jpg

nautilox finished body 4.jpg nautilox finished body 5 rib bevel.jpg

nautilox finished body 8.jpg nautilox finished body 9.jpg
Old 02-06-2020, 09:14 PM

Spectacular! I'm loving how Ben has managed to tuck that carbon fiber strut a little more out of sight than he did on the prototype. It makes it just that much more attractive (not that #1 wasn't gorgeous enough!). Really scrumptious woods in there too. How are we going to find time to play the guitars for sale, Tom, if you trot out your personal collection?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well, the box is pretty much done and looks great. I try not to exaggerate too often and I can honestly say this is looking even better to me than I had hoped or expected. I am really loving the way the dark streaks in the top are working with ebony bindings. I think they both accentuate the other to really work great together.

Attachment 32874 Attachment 32875

Attachment 32876 Attachment 32877

Attachment 32878 Attachment 32879
Tom, I think I can agree 110% with your assessment of this build. There are a lot of features that really make this build stand out, I am interested to hear how this build turns out.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 02-07-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Spectacular! I'm loving how Ben has managed to tuck that carbon fiber strut a little more out of sight than he did on the prototype. It makes it just that much more attractive (not that #1 wasn't gorgeous enough!). Really scrumptious woods in there too. How are we going to find time to play the guitars for sale, Tom, if you trot out your personal collection?
I agree, he moved it over just a bit and it hides it quite a bit. Well, this one might just be tucked away in an undisclosed area, we will have to see how magnanimous I feel!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Tom, I think I can agree 110% with your assessment of this build. There are a lot of features that really make this build stand out, I am interested to hear how this build turns out.
Thank you , stay tuned and I certainly will let you know as will the folks who play it at B.I.G. can as well.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Oh Tom.... this is looking gorgeous!! Ben is off the charts in terms of his design skills and then working with someone like you who also has such a solid grasp on woods and design.... This is special

I'll be following along from the distance of Southern CA. But know that my heart with be with you and the guitars and the folks at BIG(er) who get to see this guitar up close!

beth
Old 02-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Looking good!

Looking good, Ben and Tom! I too like the look of the Tunnel streaks as well as the clear, silky stuff. These dark lines mesh well with the overall darker tones of your woods IMO.

Won't be long and the Nautilox will be all alone hanging in the finishing closet pining to be outside!

Love the looks of Ben's new design and I know you are going to fall crazy in love with the way it sounds. I am speaking from experience here, ya know!
Old 02-10-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Oh Tom.... this is looking gorgeous!! Ben is off the charts in terms of his design skills and then working with someone like you who also has such a solid grasp on woods and design.... This is special

I'll be following along from the distance of Southern CA. But know that my heart with be with you and the guitars and the folks at BIG(er) who get to see this guitar up close!

beth
Thank you so much for your kind words Beth. I know I have said it before, but you will be missed. I feel like we just got to know each other just a little bit last year, would have loved to get to know you better and maybe play a few tunes together...maybe if there is a third one???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looking good, Ben and Tom! I too like the look of the Tunnel streaks as well as the clear, silky stuff. These dark lines mesh well with the overall darker tones of your woods IMO.

Won't be long and the Nautilox will be all alone hanging in the finishing closet pining to be outside!

Love the looks of Ben's new design and I know you are going to fall crazy in love with the way it sounds. I am speaking from experience here, ya know!
I am with you Nemoman, I am really excited to see what happens when some of that shiny stuff is applied to this wood.

Ben and I had a discussion tonight with regards to the neck, there is a small little touch going in there that Ben came up with, sort of a homage to the Nautilus name that will be just a neat touch. He is really busy right now, so no new pics yet, but I will post em as I get em!

How is that Ariel treating you?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words Beth. I know I have said it before, but you will be missed. I feel like we just got to know each other just a little bit last year, would have loved to get to know you better and maybe play a few tunes together...maybe if there is a third one???
I was just thinking the other day that it would be wonderful to just be able to hang out with you for a bit and talk guitars. And playing a few tunes with you would be so great! Last year, as you know, I was on a mission to find a 00, and I found a great guitar. Right now I'm not as laser focused (I do have thoughts about another guitar, of course). IF I come again, it would be more about gathering information from others, seeing what the luthiers are doing, and making informal music.

So if there's a Son (or Daughter) of BIG(er) next year, that would be intriguing!!

beth
Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Oh yeah...

Ariel is treating me well, Tom--she's truly amazing!

I find myself darting into the bedroom before work just to play a few tunes and make sure I didn't dream how wonderful it sounded the night before! You are in for a real treat, my man!

Do I feel an inlay of shell of a shell coming on?!

Can't wait to see this one finished up and in your hands...
Old 02-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Music soothes the soul!

So fun to watch. I know your gears are turning Tom. I'm excited for you as well.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Smile Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
So fun to watch. I know your gears are turning Tom. I'm excited for you as well.
Go, Ben, Go!!! Very exciting just watching this from afar...

Enjoy

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop