The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I am pretty sure that Carvin tried a bunch of these out before picking out the one they wanted to rebrand as their W5. Yeah, the unbranded W5 is way better than other similar models.
Well I tried them all too. I guess some people want to go even cheaper than $73 but it’s not just about the price. A wireless system needs to be reliable and sound good. This is the best I’ve found so far by far.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:09 AM

Yep, I bought my WG5 from Caparelli guitars here in Canada. At first I was confused as the system looked identical to the one Carvin has but then I realized that it's just re-branding of the same system. It works flawlessly though. It does have added hiss but to be honest, I have found this with almost every wireless system (except the G10).
Old 01-08-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Yep, I bought my WG5 from Caparelli guitars here in Canada. At first I was confused as the system looked identical to the one Carvin has but then I realized that it's just re-branding of the same system. It works flawlessly though. It does have added hiss but to be honest, I have found this with almost every wireless system (except the G10).
That’s strange, there is on hiss mine. It may be the guitar/environment.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
That’s strange, there is on hiss mine. It may be the guitar/environment.
I think that not a lot of people really hear it. I just notice when I sit beside my amplifier. If I plug the wireless in with my volume on the guitar down, the hiss increases. It's not bad at all and in a normal environment, it would be fine. My theory is that the tone is buffered a bit and boosted in volume slightly so the unit itself is most likely not making hiss, it's just adding back some high end and volume.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think that not a lot of people really hear it. I just notice when I sit beside my amplifier. If I plug the wireless in with my volume on the guitar down, the hiss increases. It's not bad at all and in a normal environment, it would be fine. My theory is that the tone is buffered a bit and boosted in volume slightly so the unit itself is most likely not making hiss, it's just adding back some high end and volume.
It also depends what kind of pickup you have. What are you using?
Old 01-08-2020, 10:15 AM

Does anybody know if the cheaper version is available in UK? (I tried the Amazon UK site but couldn't find the identical system....)
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 01-08-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Does anybody know if the cheaper version is available in UK? (I tried the Amazon UK site but couldn't find the identical system....)
For UK members: https://www.amazon.co.uk/XuBa-Wirele...8502148&sr=8-8
Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Many thanks.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 01-09-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks so much for your many great reviews! In the information in the Amazon listing about the less expensive system, it says that they don’t recommend it for active pick ups. Have you tested the units with active pick ups and had any problems?
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-09-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Thanks so much for your many great reviews! In the information in the Amazon listing about the less expensive system, it says that they don’t recommend it for active pick ups. Have you tested the units with active pick ups and had any problems?
Yes that is probably just a mistake. It works fine at least with all of the active pickups I have tested. Anthem, Matrix (many others tried by other players).
Old 01-21-2020, 10:32 AM

I just got mine this week. I ordered the budget 5.8 Aaron linked to in his video.

I tested it this week at home and it worked with all my various systems-- Baggs Lyric, Taylor ES 1.3, K&K Pure Mini, Fishman Presys, and my Telecaster. I'm playing a gig tomorrow with it for the first time.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I just got mine this week. I ordered the budget 5.8 Aaron linked to in his video.

I tested it this week at home and it worked with all my various systems-- Baggs Lyric, Taylor ES 1.3, K&K Pure Mini, Fishman Presys, and my Telecaster. I'm playing a gig tomorrow with it for the first time.
Hope it goes well, and please post a review if you can.

I picked up one of these WG5-type clones late last fall and have not had a good opportunity to try it live.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-21-2020, 12:56 PM

Anyone used this with a Taylor ES.2? I don’t really want this for the convenience. I want it for safety. I once ordered a Martin with A beautiful sunburst finish. I had it for about a month. I walked off stage after sound check and didn’t realize my guitar cable was wrapped around my ankle. I pulled the guitar off the stage. Lots of dings, scratches and cracks. I was sick.

Just purchased a new Higher end Taylor. In my experimenting at home, I am changing preamps, adjusting sound on my Bose and I am concerned I do this again. I get excited, get in a hurry and I am afraid I move too quickly.

I have a less expensive wireless I purchased on Amazon. Works okay for my passive pickups, but creates a brittle sound on my active (Martin and Taylor). I would love to have a reliable wireless, that didn’t degrade the great tone I am getting. This way I have no cables to trip over!

Would love to know how this might work with the ES.2. I would even try the Xvive unit.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Anyone used this with a Taylor ES.2? I don’t really want this for the convenience. I want it for safety. I once ordered a Martin with A beautiful sunburst finish. I had it for about a month. I walked off stage after sound check and didn’t realize my guitar cable was wrapped around my ankle. I pulled the guitar off the stage. Lots of dings, scratches and cracks. I was sick.

Just purchased a new Higher end Taylor. In my experimenting at home, I am changing preamps, adjusting sound on my Bose and I am concerned I do this again. I get excited, get in a hurry and I am afraid I move too quickly.

I have a less expensive wireless I purchased on Amazon. Works okay for my passive pickups, but creates a brittle sound on my active (Martin and Taylor). I would love to have a reliable wireless, that didn’t degrade the great tone I am getting. This way I have no cables to trip over!

Would love to know how this might work with the ES.2. I would even try the Xvive unit.

My solution was a line 6 g10-s. Works great with es2, along with my electrics
Old 01-22-2020, 05:06 AM

With my Taylor 814ce with ES2, I use the Xvive u2 wireless. No degradation in tone and freedom.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ve%20u&index=1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification