The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-20-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
We've got some Flames fans here, don't we? What's going on this year?

I watched the Avs game last night and I don't think I've ever heard an arena that quiet. They hadn't scored in something like seven straight periods? They had 107 points last year to lead the west. What happened?
To Dru and Sad:

Here's the problem with the Flames, summed up by their Associate Coach, Geoff Ward, who will be in charge if we do fire Peters:

“Collectively, when we’re sick and tired of losing, we’ll find a way to win a game. Right now the frustration is reflected in the work ethic, and the work ethic isn’t where it needs to be to win hockey games, and we need to rectify it.” - Geoff Ward

The guys in the room may not be getting along. It's a mess. I see a trade happening, before Peters' is fired. But I think Peters' lost these guys. And I think some of our guys are real prima donnas. A few of us here hope they bench the regulars and bring up some young and hungry guys from Stockton, in the AHL. I am one of these fans.

Injuries are also a challenge for the Flames, as I type. Depth will be seriously tested, on this up-coming road trip.

As for Babcock, Dubas is the problem in Toronto, not Babcock. That's my opinion. Keefe's coming in, w/no NHL coaching experience - Dubas' buddy from way back - in the process of a 5 game losing streak. Good luck with that.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 11-21-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
To Dru and Sad:

Here's the problem with the Flames, summed up by their Associate Coach, Geoff Ward, who will be in charge if we do fire Peters:

“Collectively, when we’re sick and tired of losing, we’ll find a way to win a game. Right now the frustration is reflected in the work ethic, and the work ethic isn’t where it needs to be to win hockey games, and we need to rectify it.” - Geoff Ward

The guys in the room may not be getting along. It's a mess. I see a trade happening, before Peters' is fired. But I think Peters' lost these guys. And I think some of our guys are real prima donnas. A few of us here hope they bench the regulars and bring up some young and hungry guys from Stockton, in the AHL. I am one of these fans.

Injuries are also a challenge for the Flames, as I type. Depth will be seriously tested, on this up-coming road trip.

As for Babcock, Dubas is the problem in Toronto, not Babcock. That's my opinion. Keefe's coming in, w/no NHL coaching experience - Dubas' buddy from way back - in the process of a 5 game losing streak. Good luck with that.
Everton, I agree it's Dubas. His first mistake was signing Nylander at the deadline last year while he was sitting out. I would have let the guy sit out the entire season rather than overpay him.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Everton, I agree it's Dubas. His first mistake was signing Nylander at the deadline last year while he was sitting out. I would have let the guy sit out the entire season rather than overpay him.
I agree. However, the press in Toronto is now all over the "trade Nylander" wave. Nylander isn't playing bad. If they move him, that, too, will be a mistake.

Keefe did well in his debut, though. I think Keef will be a very good coach, in Toronto. Dubas and Shanahan, better hope so!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 11-22-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I agree. However, the press in Toronto is now all over the "trade Nylander" wave. Nylander isn't playing bad. If they move him, that, too, will be a mistake.

Keefe did well in his debut, though. I think Keef will be a very good coach, in Toronto. Dubas and Shanahan, better hope so!
What's it like as a Flames fan seeing what McDavid and Draisaitl are doing? What an amazing pair. McDavid only had 1 point last night breaking his streak of at least 3 points in 3 straight games.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
What's it like as a Flames fan seeing what McDavid and Draisaitl are doing? What an amazing pair. McDavid only had 1 point last night breaking his streak of at least 3 points in 3 straight games.
You forgot to mention Neal!

Most people here hate the Oilers, and vice versa. I've never hated the Oilers. Their success is good for the NHL, and particularly the Canadian teams. McDavid's one of the greats. To me, Draisaitl get little fanfare. He's a tremendous talent. But the Oilers lack secondary scoring. If their goaltending holds up, they'll be okay, but they'll need secondary scoring to be "comfortable".

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 11-23-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You forgot to mention Neal!

Most people here hate the Oilers, and vice versa. I've never hated the Oilers. Their success is good for the NHL, and particularly the Canadian teams. McDavid's one of the greats. To me, Draisaitl get little fanfare. He's a tremendous talent. But the Oilers lack secondary scoring. If their goaltending holds up, they'll be okay, but they'll need secondary scoring to be "comfortable".
McDavid over Draisaitl . I think they're both locked up with contracts for at least 5 years. I'd like to see all Canadian teams make the playoffs except for Montreal, lol. Ironically, that's the team with the richest history in the NHL and I'm a big NHL history fan.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
McDavid over Draisaitl . I think they're both locked up with contracts for at least 5 years. I'd like to see all Canadian teams make the playoffs except for Montreal, lol. Ironically, that's the team with the richest history in the NHL and I'm a big NHL history fan.
Ottawa won't make the playoffs this year. But they have a lot of good young players coming along, and tons of picks and cap space.

Montreal will get in. So will Edmonton, and probably Vancouver. Winnipeg and Toronto are on the cusp. Ditto, my Flames. All three of these teams better find some defence (and in the case of the Flames, some offence), or they'll be golfing in Arizona, come playoff time.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 11-23-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Ottawa won't make the playoffs this year. But they have a lot of good young players coming along, and tons of picks and cap space.

Montreal will get in. So will Edmonton, and probably Vancouver. Winnipeg and Toronto are on the cusp. Ditto, my Flames. All three of these teams better find some defence (and in the case of the Flames, some offence), or they'll be golfing in Arizona, come playoff time.
Edmonton just needs to keep it together in the 2nd half of the season. I think they fell apart last year after a strong start (IIRC). Toronto should be able to regroup and make the playoffs, with or without Babcock.

Bruins win in OT today! Bergeron with 4 points and Marchand with 2 more.

... Looks like McDavid just scored.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:45 AM

Default BUT....

How abut my NY Isles!! What a stretch. I was fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder during their 4 year dynasty. Might it be their year? Fingers crossed!
LarryK
Old 11-26-2019, 07:21 AM

Flames get a point, but lose to the Pens in OT 3-2. Neither team looked like they had their A-game going, but both goalies, David Rittich and Tristen Jarry did, and kept the game low-scoring.

One of the weirdest plays I've ever seen happened late in the game when Milan Lucic skated hard into the Pens goal explosively dislodging the net. He didn't have the puck, wasn't pushed or even touched by any other player and never made contact with goaltender Jarry whose back was to Lucic at the opposite side of the goal (although Jarry jumped about a foot into the air when he heard the net go flying). It looked like he just forgot how to skate or where he was on the ice or had an out of body experience! It was pretty clear after the whistle blew to stop play that he was embarrassed to the point of wishing he could find a hole to crawl into to hide.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-26-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
How abut my NY Isles!! What a stretch. I was fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder during their 4 year dynasty. Might it be their year? Fingers crossed!
LarryK
The Islanders started the season on a low note but look at them now. They've really pulled a team together over the past 2 years. Are they still in splitting games between Brooklyn and Uniondale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Flames get a point, but lose to the Pens in OT 3-2. Neither team looked like they had their A-game going, but both goalies, David Rittich and Tristen Jarry did, and kept the game low-scoring.

One of the weirdest plays I've ever seen happened late in the game when Milan Lucic skated hard into the Pens goal explosively dislodging the net. He didn't have the puck, wasn't pushed or even touched by any other player and never made contact with goaltender Jarry whose back was to Lucic at the opposite side of the goal (although Jarry jumped about a foot into the air when he heard the net go flying). It looked like he just forgot how to skate or where he was on the ice or had an out of body experience! It was pretty clear after the whistle blew to stop play that he was embarrassed to the point of wishing he could find a hole to crawl into to hide.
That's going to make a highlight reel, Cat.

How about the Bruins hammering the Canadiens 8-1! Wow, Montreal must have taken an early Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
The Islanders started the season on a low note but look at them now. They've really pulled a team together over the past 2 years. Are they still in splitting games between Brooklyn and Uniondale?

How about the Bruins hammering the Canadiens 8-1! Wow, Montreal must have taken an early Thanksgiving.
The Bruins are a powerhouse. I don't see any real weaknesses in that team. If they can stay relatively free of injuries, I can easily see them back in the SCF again this season.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Yes, they are still sharing two home arenas. I wouldn't call it an identity crisis, but it still feels weird!
LarryK.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
LarryK
Love the Isles. Grew up in NY - my older brother pulled for the Isles. I'll always have a soft-spot for the Isles. Trotz is a great coach. They could certainly go far, in the playoffs - and the fans deserve it.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Last edited by Everton FC; 11-27-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are still sharing two home arenas. I wouldn't call it an identity crisis, but it still feels weird!
LarryK.
Unfortunately, things didn't work out for the Islanders at the Barclays Center. I wonder if a new arena will ever be built in Uniondale / Long Island? I've heard plans over the past few years but nothing came out of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic