The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 07:31 PM

Default Huss and Dalton at Guitar Center

Played an RDR today at the Marietta, Georgia location. Lovely guitar that felt like a single, unified thing. Even really nice instruments can seem like an expertly assembled set of parts sometimes. This was better.

But the most curious, inexplicable thing: at some point (I wasn’t entirely clear on the sequence of events) someone installed a strap button on the north/wrong side of the heel. And rather than fill it, they resolved by keeping the screw sans the button. So an otherwise worthy instrument is being shown with an elevated black screw to remind the player that something’s not quite right.

Staff guy was nice enough and had a basic understanding of the Road Series, which I appreciated.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:59 PM

Sorry to say but H&D made a bad decision!
Old 11-19-2019, 08:02 PM

I own one of these. I have a few “nicer” guitars, but the RD-R gets most of my playing time these days.

And you are correct. The sum is greater than the parts.

I think one thing that benefits the Road Series is that they spend less time in the spray booth than their better-appointed siblings, and consequently, have a paper-thin finish. Whatever it is, H&D got it right.

The decision to make the Road Seies came at the height of the recession. Mark and Jeff decided to keep their well-trained staff at work, instead of laying them off, by offering this stripped down version of their TD-R. They had 100 orders for Road Series guitars in hand from dealers by the end of a long weekend at 2014 NAMM, which was the total made in the initial run in 2014.

They proved so popular that H&D elected to make more in recent years. Certainly doesn’t cheapen the brand in my opinion. They are, flat out, great guitars.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...

Last edited by 1Charlie; 11-19-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:02 PM

How did Huss and Dalton make a bad decision? Seems like someone put a strap pin on to play it lefty. I’m guessing that it was a trade-in because H&D is not a brand that GC would stock.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:08 PM

Definitely after market strap button. I'd take the screw out and fill the hole, no problem. Don't let that deter a purchase. $2K for a Road series is fair enough. Same guitar as a TDR minus a couple specs like nitro finish and long saddle.

That said you could find a TRD for not too much more in the used market.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyvito View Post
I’m guessing that it was a trade-in because H&D is not a brand that GC would stock.
I would agree.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 11-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How did Huss and Dalton make a bad decision? Seems like someone put a strap pin on to play it lefty. I’m guessing that it was a trade-in because H&D is not a brand that GC would stock.
It's a 2016 Road Series with a "Collings Case."
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzeback View Post
Definitely after market strap button. I'd take the screw out and fill the hole, no problem. Don't let that deter a purchase. $2K for a Road series is fair enough. Same guitar as a TDR minus a couple specs like nitro finish and long saddle.

That said you could find a TRD for not too much more in the used market.
The other differences are rosewood in lieu of ebony for the bridge and fretboard, a cheaper set of tuners (mine are upgraded to Waverley’s), and a standard black tolex case instead of the deluxe tweed H&D case.

No matter, the instant you get your hands on an RD-R, you forget what it doesn’t have, and appreciate everything it does.

New RD-R’s are selling for about $2700, street. I would not pay more than 2/3 of that, or ~$1800 for a used one. But it may very well be the best $1800 you ever spent on an acoustic guitar.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 11-19-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It's a 2016 Road Series with a "Collings Case."
GC guy said the original owner received the original case damaged in shipping. Shop apparently made him a sweetheart deal on one of the Collings deluxe cases. I’m not done thinking about it but I live at the mahogany end of the spectrum. Still, if they’d sub the case for a decent gig bag and a steep discount, I’d be sorely tempted.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 PM

I agree with Charlie’s comments. Around $1800 would be a fair price for an awesome guitar.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 11-19-2019, 09:00 PM

Buy the guitar with the Collings case and sell the case. Should bring about 700-750.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:39 PM

I would buy it for the case alone!
Of course I wouldn't mind an H&D along with it!!
Old 11-19-2019, 11:30 PM

Guitar Center occasionally receives boutique guitars on trade in. This is how I ran across a beautiful adi over Brazilian rosewood TOM-R a couple of years ago. It blew me away. I never thought I would see a Huss and Dalton in a GC, but there it was in Tallahassee, FL. After some soul searching for a week, and much deliberation, I ended up making a trade with some additional cash. It was expensive, but a fine guitar at second hand price, that I am extremely pleased with. I normally don't like the big box store business model of GC and seldom go there, but sometimes you can find some really good used guitars that they would never stock new.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:

Never considered that it was a trade in, thank you
Old 11-20-2019, 06:20 AM

If there’s really a market for the case I might go back and confirm that it’s the deluxe/purple one and in great shape.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion