The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Wink Roadworn - Uh, no thanks...

Cranky old man rant coming up in 3...2....1:

So a purple Roadworn Telecast is Musician's Friend's SDOTD. I'm sure it plays fine, feels nice, sounds great, etc. Just me, but I just don't like brand new guitars "aged" at the factory, or otherwise, to look old.

And odd thing is, if you're shopping for a vintage instrument, tell me you're not going to buy the one that looks mint, all else being the same?

Also, this is a electric guitar phenomenon. You can correct me if I missed it, but for all the acoustic guitars built to copy Martin's "golden era" '30s or '40s stuff, nobody takes a belt sander to the finish to get that "roadworn" look. Why are people compel to do that to a electric guitar?

I'm ok with worn, just let's get there honestly. I'm not going to think you're less a guitarist just cause your instrument don't look like it's older than you are.

<rant off>
Old 11-12-2019, 04:30 PM

I couldn't agree more. Just so happens that I have been looking for a new Tele after my nephew talked me out of my last one. I could not consider this just because I would have felt so silly with a brand new guitar artificially made to look worn. I would either buy a used instrument or buy a new one and get to wearing it out. Fortunately they also offered the MIM Deluxe Tele at a really nice price. Got that one instead. I'll start working on the worn look whenever it gets here.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lux...&index=2
Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 PM

You won't get an argument from me, except about this being an electric only phenomenon. It is not.

It is also one of the most divisive topics on here. If you do a search, you will find several threads.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Have you ever heard of ďPre War Guitar CompanyĒ? Look em up. Have you heard of Martinís own ďStreet MasterĒ versions of their 15 series guitars? Look em up. Iím sure there are others...

I wouldnít personally buy a guitar BECAUSE of its relic appearance. But after playing both roadworn teles and Strats, I bought a roadworn tele and the neck from a roadworn strat to put on my Robert Cray hardtail strat. Because those necks are the most sublime feeling and playing necks of any Fender necks Iíve tried. I didnít buy them BECAUSE they were relicíd, but I sure wasnít gonna pass on these great necks because of it either.

Feel free to buy what you like and pass on what you donít. But if you write off a guitar because of its aesthetics, isnít that ultimately exactly as shallow as buying one because of its aesthetics?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
I couldn't agree more. Just so happens that I have been looking for a new Tele after my nephew talked me out of my last one. I could not consider this just because I would have felt so silly with a brand new guitar artificially made to look worn. I would either buy a used instrument or buy a new one and get to wearing it out. Fortunately they also offered the MIM Deluxe Tele at a really nice price. Got that one instead. I'll start working on the worn look whenever it gets here.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lux...&index=2
I have one of those FSR Teles. Great guitar, much nice than a purple faux Road worn.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Have you ever heard of ďPre War Guitar CompanyĒ? Look em up. Have you heard of Martinís own ďStreet MasterĒ versions of their 15 series guitars? Look em up. Iím sure there are others...
Yes, Pre War Guitar I've heard of. Because of this forum. Street Master I missed. You saying those are sold new with the finish worn off?
Quote:
I wouldnít personally buy a guitar BECAUSE of its relic appearance. But after playing both roadworn teles and Strats, I bought a roadworn tele and the neck from a roadworn strat to put on my Robert Cray hardtail strat. Because those necks are the most sublime feeling and playing necks of any Fender necks Iíve tried. I didnít buy them BECAUSE they were relicíd, but I sure wasnít gonna pass on these great necks because of it either.
THAT, I'm fine with. You find a great guitar, you go for it, Roadworn or not! I just find no benefit to having Roadworn, in, and of, itself.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
Yes, Pre War Guitar I've heard of. Because of this forum. Street Master I missed. You saying those are sold new with the finish worn off?

THAT, I'm fine with. You find a great guitar, you go for it, Roadworn or not! I just find no benefit to having Roadworn, in, and of, itself.
It's not so much the finish worn off as finished to look like the finish is worn off, to look old IOW, which is the same basic intent. I sort of get it more with electrics because solid body electric guitars can take a lot more abuse and still be wonderfully playable and great sounding than acoustics generally could. At a certain point an acoustic is just gonna fall apart and not be playable when an electric may be just coming into it's own. Like this:

streetmaster by Ray, on Flickr

FWIW, the Roadworn tele I have (blond / yellow, not the purple one, but EXACTLY the same guitar other than the finish) is much more understated. There is relicing done to it but you don't see it from any distance and it's not obnoxious up close either. I never see it any more. The necks on both of my guitars just look like slightly worn necks. And actually, that purple roadworn that Musician's Friend is selling isn't that badly dinged up either - it's just PURPLE so everything about it screams more visually than the more understated colors. Fender makes a bunch of custom shop guitars they sell for upwards of $3000 that are HEAVILY reliced, I mean just beat to smithereens. Evidently there's a market for that look, but if I have a say in the looks, that's not gonna be what I look for. But their roadworn series, both strats and teles, both now discontinued but sill somewhat available, were some of the great values Fender ever sold IMHO. The early versions were very rough looking, but somewhere around 2013 they toned down the amount of "wear" they showed on them and it's really not enough to object to much, whereas the earlier ones arguably were.

Here's my yellow / blonde roadworn tele - you can see some wear marks around the edges, but not that much:

untitled-1 by Ray, on Flickr

And here's the purple custom shop tele played by a Danish musician named Pete Honore that seems to have been the inspiration for Fender's limited run of purple roadworn teles. Pete's custom shop is reputed to be one of the nicest playing and sounding teles in captivity - I don't know whether he loves it because of or in spite of it's looks, but he never stops gushing about it. He's pretty popular on YouTube, so I guess that took on a life of it's own and they even made a small run of custom shop guitars that I guess look pretty much exactly like his. A replica of a replica I guess. I wouldn't choose the looks, but if they play as well as they're reputed to and someone wanted to give me one, I'd surely take it!

purple tele by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 11-12-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:31 PM

You can spend good money on clothing that looks soiled, ripped, torn and faded, that is sold as new! I hear the big three are coming out with vintage pickup trucks that can be had with balding tires and rusty quarter panels, yippee! Sorry, I guess Iím just getting old. Donít get me started on ďtacticalĒ.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Feel free to buy what you like and pass on what you donít. But if you write off a guitar because of its aesthetics, isnít that ultimately exactly as shallow as buying one because of its aesthetics?
I'm not exactly sure. Intentionally making something new appear worn just feels dishonest to me. If they offered the same instrument in new and worn I would go with new every time. Buying an old worn out guitar, fine. I wish it could talk and tell me it's stories, but it would have to be really something special for me to buy an artificially worn instrument.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:21 PM

I had one Roadworn Fender Tele I sold off due to dislike of the pickups, neck finish*, rough feel of the tall frets - the latter could have been polished, but otherwise the hardware wasn’t to my liking, and I have the same neck profile smooth finished with nitro and small vintage frets, together with sweet low wind pickups on the Classic Series version, glistening and new. I didn’t buy the Roadworn for the finish, but for the other specs that eventually didn’t work for my purposes. I’m happy not to have a reliced guitar in my quiver now, but at the time I appreciated not having to worry too much about it getting scratched up - it was a novelty thing, now happily worn off

*rough poly

Last edited by Jaden; 11-12-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:04 PM

For those who are keeping count ... I am in the, “why am I paying extra for that it looks like it’s all worn out when I could buy something that looks brand new and go through the exercise of wearing it out myself” camp.

I mean to each their own I suppose. But for me personally, I guess I just don’t get it. I have gig cases and other cases in attempt to try to keep my equipment looking good and and protecting it. I sort of chuckle at these road worn models as they are pretty much what I am trying to avoid with my equipment to look like.

But just one dudes humble opinion ...
Old 11-12-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Itís cheating. Itís kind of like marrying someone young whose already sick of your crap. They have to earn it!

My main electric is a Ď99 Iíve played since new. Itís not new anymore because itís been played, a lot, and gigged. It survived my drinking days AND my Ex Wife. Every imperfection is mine!

I also have guitars that are mint. Some have stayed clean in spite of me. I would rather inherit honest wear than ďbuy it.Ē

When you buy it you donít get the experiences that went with it.

The Acoustics
Julian Gaffney #11. Coco under engelmann MD
Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red (due 2020)
Old 11-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
For those who are keeping count ... I am in the, ďwhy am I paying extra for that it looks like itís all worn out when I could buy something that looks brand new and go through the exercise of wearing it out myselfĒ camp.
Who says you pay extra for it? The MIM roadworn strat and tele were priced right in line with the other higher end MIM guitars. Itís just another choice at basically the same price point. I bought one because I loved how the guitar played, not because of the relic look, but that didnít prevent me from using it either. I didnít like the roadworn strat as much as the Robert Cray model I already owned, but I did prefer the neck by a lot (the things Jaden doesnít like about the roadworn necks, I love), so I have a new looking guitar with a slightly worn looking neck. My favorite strat ever and Iíve been a strat guy since 1979...

-Ray
Old 11-12-2019, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I liked the idea of Pre War's vintage specs. Went with Bob Thompson because I didn't want to pay a middle man and so I could get something without any wear.

I'll never own a Relic'd instrument unless someone gives it to me for free. I cover my belt, don't play with metal buttons/jewelry, and I'm very accurate with a pick. I also use taller frets, which means my maple fretboards look new. I have small swirls here and there. They'll probably look new unless they fall over or something.
Limited Edition walnut Taylor 12 fret non-cutaway ES2
Old 11-12-2019, 10:56 PM

I like the look of a well done, road worn "relic'd" electric. I don't have one myself and I don't think I'll ever pay a premium for that but they do look cool. That purple tele looks terrible though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars