The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
How are the Guitar Centers (and Sam Ash stores?) in & around Nashville and Memphis?
Hi frankmcr!

Just checked availabilities online for the GCs and saw few things to be honest... remember a used Breedlove as the closest option.

Then, although they have the Alvarez Delta, the Loar 250 and some others (Gretsch G9531 for example) in their catalog I asume you have to order and wait for the delivery.

Maybe ordering before and having the guitar sent to a specific place to pick up could be another option. Actually I saw just now an online offer for a The Loar 250 under 400$ in another US store. Have to think about it

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2019, 02:35 PM

I really like my Farida OT-22. It sounds just like the ones in these videos, and it came set up perfectly (imo).

The wide version--1 3/4 nut and a full 2 1/4 string spacing at the saddle--is, for me, great for fingerstyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4nvYazI188

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wdusUJHv-k

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...coustic-guitar
Old 09-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Farida Guitars @ Elderly Instruments in Lansing MI.
https://www.elderly.com/collections/...v_brand=Farida
big selection and very good sounding instruments in your price range
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Get the Eastman travel guitar- Basically their take on a GS mini, much better.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:32 PM

I'm delighted with my RK series 9 ooo. It's very resonant at only 150. So good I'm splashing out for an Ros 10 and a ro t16. The Ro t16 is getting amazing reviews. I've talked by email to elderly and RK who claim that the torrified top make it the most resonant out of the ez tones 10 series and 6 series. I will admit I'm not massively knowledgeable about different brands. I know a good sound when I hear it. I've bought two online from an official RK supplier as I also can't get to play them. They do have a certain sound though so you'd have to make sure that's what u want. Amazing for picking with light nickel strings.

Maybe if you do buy online get it from a supplier that knows what you want and has a good quality control and returns and your sweet . I backed out of buying a guitar from thomann as they didn't give me much confidence as they hadn't a clue about any of my questions.

The RK quality control seems to be much higher now as they seem to be geared towards selling a substantial amount of guitars online. There are so many videos on YouTube to draw conclusions from.

My main worry was getting a bad one but it seems that the majority of people are very happy and so am I. I have 2 good dirty 30,s and can't stop playing the things. Hopefully it will continue for me. You will know what to get after juggling a few in your head every night and day for a while. Could u afford 150 to try a series 9 triple 000? It will give you a taste for their sound knowing that a step up should then get u even more. The t16 sounds a safe bet the the others below 300. Ez tones etc. The 30,s shine for me with nickels. RK seem to stick with a one bold fingerpicking vintage sound. I don't like to strum the thing though. I love it though for picking . It gives me something back when I play it. I enjoy it something I'd stopped doing with a fairly decent freshman Dreadnaught over twice the price.

The things have a soul like Chucky the doll! They have got me obsessed with the guitar again. I can't say enough good things about the rk,s I have tried but that's just me and others may differ..Check some vids out if you havnt yet and email elderly if you are from anywhere in the world just to inquire about a few brands and what you want a guitar for. There's a guy there who is really good at answering questions. Hope you get something great that inspires you as it's out there and easier to get than you think just trust your gut! I missed there u are going to America. U will Def get to try a good few...

Last edited by Phoenix75; 09-05-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:49 PM

When you get here to America, look for a large guitar store like Guitar Center and play all the guitars that are in your price range.
The right one will find you.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
When you get here to America, look for a large guitar store like Guitar Center and play all the guitars that are in your price range.
The right one will find you.
That's probably best. I was thinking the OP might find a great selection at a GC in Memphis or Nashville, but the report was not promising.

Wolf Tone, assuming you fly into New York, try the Guitar Center in Times Square, Rudy's Music on Broome Street, and/or Sam Ash on 34th. They have inventories on line, so you can get an idea of their selection and pricing. And you'll be able to play before buying (if you do buy).
Old 09-05-2019, 05:34 PM

I would either go with a Taylor GS Mini or a Voyage VAOM 4. Both will give you compact carrying and with a high fun-factor.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:02 PM

I owned the Alvarez Delta Blues. Quite a good guitar. Gave it to my son. You could also look at the Farida OT parlor guitar from Elderly.com. I own the all solid but they make a solid top with laminar sides. Blues mojo all over it.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Also in the Alvarez family, they make an all mahogany parlor in both the Masterworks (all solid) and Artist (solid top) lines. I played the Masterworks parlor just the other day in my shop and it's a great little guitar. I already own the dread version, but I was very impressed by the sound the parlor put out. I don't think the Artist version would be over $350.00 and would probably be almost as good.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-05-2019, 06:27 PM

Nut on GS Mini is a bit narrow, but a good choice otherwise if that doesn't bother you.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
Also in the Alvarez family, they make an all mahogany parlor in both the Masterworks (all solid) and Artist (solid top) lines. I played the Masterworks parlor just the other day in my shop and it's a great little guitar. I already own the dread version, but I was very impressed by the sound the parlor put out. I don't think the Artist version would be over $350.00 and would probably be almost as good.

I have owned several of the Alvarez parlors - both the Masterworks and Artist series. The AP66sb has the solid mahogany top and laminated mahogany back & sides. I used mine as a travel guitar for a number of years. Great little guitar. But as has been noted, Alvarez guitars are hard to buy in stores. I purchased all 3 online. Sold all except the all solid wood MPA66shb.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-06-2019, 04:11 AM

I've been hearing a lot about alverez and Farida here as well will have to look at them. I know of a Farida ooo being popular for some fingerstyle artists.

Wolf tone by the ways just go to America and have a great time. If a guitar comes along it will. Even try a cheaper one to get a taste for it. Then u can recognise the things you like and don't like when choosing a more expensive one. Such as u could say to your self I'd like a slightly wider but less thick neck, I want the same type of tone but more of it, I'd like it to be more resonant - which it will etc if u know what I mean? I need a guitar at home with me for at least a day. I know it's good for me if it's effortless to play and brings a smile to my face. It becomes my arm.

I can never get fully accustomed to guitar in a busy shop. I find it hard to feel comfortable.
I went up the other day though just to look at triple OS. I tried sigma fender vintage ibanez a baby dread Martin. The baby dread at 600 was the most playable and sounded the best the ibanez second and the others while looked nice just didn't have a life about them. I left thinking I'm so pleased with the guitars I have so far. Next week I will have an Ros 10 so I want to post to comment if it's better than my two other additions.

The series 11 really interests me. I think elderlys have them on their site. I'm from the UK but some of their staff are very good emailing answers. I might go for an 11 in a year to see how they are different to the 5,7 and 9. I'm a just an acoustic and not electric player at the moment. When i mailed RK they told me that the 5 series was experimenting with the concept of recreating the old catalogue guitars. They said that the 7 and 9 series were more consistent and lighter making them more resonant. A lighter finish. I can see the wood grain on my 9 ooo. They are not a toy as some people say. The 5 series dosnt look as good though.

You def should try an RK 30,s at some point because if you finger pick I'd say u will love it and then it will allow you to purchase something more expensive from their range. It may give you a focus. They are already on your radar to and u can buy one for 150 and it's enough to give you something very musical back. They record exceptionally well. Their sound is always the RK sound.

Last edited by Phoenix75; 09-06-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:35 AM

If you get as far north as St. Louis (the home of Alvarez Guitars), check out St. Louis Guitar Services on Ferguson Street.

This sounds like a noble quest!

Greg Rappleye
Old 09-07-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesbark Wagmore View Post
I really like my Farida OT-22. It sounds just like the ones in these videos, and it came set up perfectly (imo).

The wide version--1 3/4 nut and a full 2 1/4 string spacing at the saddle--is, for me, great for fingerstyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4nvYazI188

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wdusUJHv-k

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...coustic-guitar
Thanks Lesbark!

Actually took a look at the Faridas from elderly and seems to be a really interesting option, but I am afraid my trip would go not close to Elderly instruments so can not try life. Anyway, maybe I can just find an used one

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion