The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Is the Zed 10 right for me?

after reading quite a bit of AGF for a few days (speakers and mixers) I'm settling in on active speakers (Yamaha or QSC) and the Zed 10.....I've researched acoustic amplification (guitar and vocal) but also lots of "DJ sound"
articles because sometimes I play with MP3 instrumental tracks.....so I'm kind of in the middle of both worlds.....couple of questions:

1) someone commented about the USB with the Zed 10 only being 16 bit... using it mostly for live performing vs home studio recording, my only concern is if my standard stereo MP3 tracks that make up my library will plug and play through this system in stereo?

2) most say acoustic solos and duets can get by with 12" speakers without a sub, but that DJs need the sub.....since I do both, I'm torn between 8s or 10s with a sub, or just go with the 12s and no sub.....budget probably rules out 15s.....

you're probably wondering why I haven't figured this out already with years of playing? it's because I was a Bose L1 user for ten years, a mono, one tower system, which I sold (insert tears here) after retiring and trying "condo living" in AZ.....never again!.......I'm back in the Rockies and back in a house, and back in the mood to play for people, and maybe a "traditional" PA system vs the Bose setup would allow me to play the tracks in stereo instead of mono......and I'll add here, for those familiar with Bose, I do still have the T1 Tonematch mixer and I've been studying ways to get stereo out of that passive mono system....and while it is "possible", it gets very complicated.....
and I can't afford to buy Bose all over again.....any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Doug
Old 06-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Just one man's opinion, but I've never understood why anyone would want to run stereo in a live situation. Unless you are seated dead center in the audience, you're going to hear an unbalanced mix depending on where you are.

If you can't afford the Bose look at the LD Systems Maui 11 G2 - that's what I use and love it. You can Bluetooth your mp3 to it. I actually own two of the Mauis for bigger rooms but still run mono.

https://www.amazon.com/LD-Systems-LD...gateway&sr=8-1

I also use an A&H ZED 10FX and love it.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page

Last edited by Stratcat77; 06-11-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

stratcat.....I know what you're sayin'......I was going to mention "small venues"
.......small rooms with the mains brought in pretty close to small stage, where pretty much everyone hears both speakers.....but I get it, I've been playing 50 yrs live, and now the confusion for me sets in when things go digital...ha..ha...
I guess I've always wondered if all those stereo tracks I have lose quality when played through the mono T1 Bose mixer vs stereo.......the tracks were always offered in stereo or mono, and I always chose stereo.....that's why I loved the Bose sound...to me it was like a primo home stereo sound cranked up to small club volume, only it came out of one tower and came out mono, the loud home stereo sound is what I'm trying to accomplish with a 1000-1500 budget.....

side question: do DJs play all that great recorded music in mono?
Old 06-11-2019, 04:12 PM

I can't comment on the stereo vs mono question for playback material, but I can say that I've never had a problem playing stereo mp3 or wave files from my computer through my ZED10FX in stereo using the USB connection. Works just like it should. Whether you should do that in a live situation, I don't know.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 06-11-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Louis.....I've read a lot of your comments in the articles I've been reading here
.......thanks for responding to my questions...
Old 06-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

stratcat.....I am studying the LD systems now, thanks.....the Maui 5 was in my notes, mentioned by someone.....maybe it was you.....
Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
Louis.....I've read a lot of your comments in the articles I've been reading here
.......thanks for responding to my questions...
You're welcome!

Louis
Old 06-11-2019, 05:47 PM

Zed 10 is a great little mixer. The only real questions are... with effects and is it enough xlr's?

As for setup. I looked at several of the stick style systems and believe they would work very well... for about 70% of my gigs. That other 30 though would be a problem. Outside, big noisy rooms etc.

Also I actually set up ostensibly in stereo all the time. But run flat balance ie: mono setting. The main reason is this gives me the option of tweaking one side or the other in or out left or right to compensate for the room or setup.

Personal preference is a pair of 8's or 10's for acoustic n vocal. If you need a bit of punch or just more bass now n then a small sub is a plus. You do not need DJ thump in most instances. I run QSC K's originals but am seriously looking at that newish little 12 sub. That's all I would ever need. Having tried it a time or two it is seriously enticing.

Kris
Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM

I have the Bose L1 compact with a Zedi10FX and I believe it is a great combination. I only play at home but the effects are useable and am a satisfied customer.
There are less expensive stick units out there. Depends on how much power you need. You can also look at the Turbosound units or even the brand new Behringer C-200.

Good luck with your choice!

Dan
Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
stratcat.....I am studying the LD systems now, thanks.....the Maui 5 was in my notes, mentioned by someone.....maybe it was you.....

I haven’t heard the Maui 5. For just a little more you can get the 11 and it’s got a lot of power. Some friends have Turbosound and honestly I think the Maui sounds much better for what I do which is acoustic with vocals.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 PM

No problem getting stereo out of the Zed. For my mp3 player I use a "Y"cable, 1/8" to the player and the L&R split to the stereo channel or the RCA channel on the mixer. It depends on which "Y" cable I grab.

I mostly use a pair of Yamaha DBR 12's for my mains and a 10 for my monitor. I have a Behringer Eurolive B1200D subwoofer that can put out the low-end thump, I don't use it too much, I don't DJ.

As stated by another post, I also have my PC plugged into a Zed via the USB with no problems.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 06-11-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:24 AM

I have a Zed10FX, but I use it for recording, not playing live. What it lets me do is record four parts at once to separate tracks on my iPad. Works great for that!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 AM

As an FYI - The Bose L1 Compact is on sale now for $849.. I had the Maui 5 prior to Bose and it is excellent as well. Sounded really good. But not quite as robust as the Bose.

With that said $800-1000 will get a pair of QSC CP series speakers...
Perhaps a set of CP8 or 12 would be more "versatile" than the Bose Stick?
The Zed10fx is fantastic unit as well!

I use the Bose 2-3 times a week with a Yamaha mixer. (Similar to the A&H)
Solo, Duo and Trio and sounds fantastic every time. Pubs, brewery type places.. So not huge venues.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

JakeStone.....is it the Compact that you have? any sub units with that? I had the L1 Model 1 B1 with T1 Tonematch so I know the Bose sound and the system setup.....I always thought the T1 was just a Bose component but I've read here how a couple guys use it for their mixer.....I'm the 69 yr old (low tech) life long musician having a little difficulty with the digital world changing the "old ways", even though my ten yrs with the L1 was already a change from the old PA days
.......whether I go traditional powered speakers or revisit Bose, do you think I should hold off on the A&H, hold on to the T1 and first figure out my performance speaker setup? and since I don't do much digital recording yet (I did get the Zoom H5 six months ago and I'm "trying to learn"...ha...ha...) from a performing perspective, would the T1 serve as a mixer (interface) for a more standard active speaker setup, or would something like the Zed 10 serve me better, if I don't go Bose? thanks

Last edited by krugjr; 06-12-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:32 PM

The Soundcraft EFX8 and EFX12 are far better mixers IMO.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification