The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I think This thread is helpful in that it shows that the path to finding out what you want is rarely a straight line. I thought I had found the guitar of my dreams with a new-to-me used limited edition until the new 317e entered my life - the limited edition is now on its way back to where I got it from
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 06-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Two Suggestions:

1) Resist the temptation to compare the 717 to your D-18. Evaluate the 717's tone on its own terms.

2) Resist the temptation to judge the 717 based on the initial strums. I found my 317 improved in tone after the initial newness of the factory strings wore off, and improved even more with the addition of D'Addario EXP19 Bluegrass strings. It didn't magically turn into a Martin dread, but I can hear the old timey sound that I think Andy Powers was shooting for - think Gibson L-00 with a larger voice...
Glad to hear another 317 owner likes the D’Addario Bluegrass gauge strings - only difference is I’m using the uncoated EJ19s.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 06-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
This thread is like a season of Seinfeld. I'm dizzy.
I'm going commando Jerry!!!!!
Old 06-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I'm going commando Jerry!!!!!
Yep. Out there and loving it....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-09-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yep. Out there and loving it....
Hahaha, most excellent.........if we all start quoting Seinfeld episodes this will be a very long and funny thread

Oh by the way congrats Blue on your new 717 from Ted. But after the back and forth with the first one its "no more soup for you"
Old 06-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Excellent advice. I tend to pit guitars against each other and it can cause me to second guess large purchases. I think that personally no other guitar make can beat the Martin dread sound. The issue for me is comfort and enjoyment over long periods of playing. I can play my D-18 for hours, but I am starting to have issues with the size and as I get older I’m noticing that sometimes I will grab whatever the smallest guitar in my fold is at the time. I also tend to find Martin dreads so familiar and traditional, that I long for something “different” all the time.

That’s ultimately why I also found the J-45 more easy to sell. With the D-18 and J-45, I have been playing the acoustic less over the last couple of weeks. I think to myself that I know what they are capable of, and the type of music I play on them is the same. I keep the action higher on these two for bluegrass playing, and that makes them not as comfortable for my DADGAD playing. I prefer a lower action for DADGAD.

Enter the 717. It is comfortable and I could play it for hours without issue. It’s new and exciting and works perfectly for DAGDAD. So, I can grab the Taylor for DADGAD and enjoy the comfort, and then grab the D-18 when I want to play folk/bluegrass. I do play DADGAD 75% of the time, but even thought the Martin has deeper louder bass and sounds great, I just don’t enjoy it for DADGAD with the higher action.

When I sold the J-45 yesterday, I played a 717 while the buyer was trying out my J-45. It solidified that I was making the right decision because in that environment, the 717 sounded phenomenal and cut through the guitar shop like a knife. My J-45 was being played about 15 ft away from me, and it sounded good, but the 717 had this airy vintage vibe that just sounded amazing to me side by side.

So yeah I actually played the two side by side and it was the first time in a LONG time that I A/Bd two guitars in a shop, especially one of my own. Felt good and reassuring, so maybe I need to do that from now on.

So you had one in your hot little hands and left it to wait for another stranger? What if that is not as good?

Don't scratch your name across the top just yet!

How does changing the saddle affect the warranty or return policy? I love Elixirs and I know you don't, but I would leave the guitar exactly as sent for 3 weeks to a month to get used to the factory setup and that neck. Make sure there is no buzz or rattle with the factory settings, and change stuff later. I know, I know, you don't like the...but you would need exactly the same tension Mediums to keep the factory settings.....My opinion.

(a local guitar shop put up a demo video of the 717 and let me tell you that they normally have great demo videos but this one I don't think they listened to at all - the string squeak is awful and all the way through.)

BluesKing777.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
So you had one in your hot little hands and left it to wait for another stranger? What if that is not as good?

How does changing the saddle affect the warranty or return policy? I love Elixirs and I know you don't, but I would leave the guitar exactly as sent for 3 weeks to a month to get used to the factory setup and that neck. Make sure there is no buzz or rattle with the factory settings, and change stuff later. I know, I know, you don't like the...but you would need exactly the same tension Mediums to keep the factory settings.....My opinion.

(a local guitar shop put up a demo video of the 717 and let me tell you that they normally have great demo videos but this one I don't think they listened to at all - the string squeak is awful and all the way through.)

BluesKing777.

What video? I’d like to listen for kicks and giggles lol.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
What video? I’d like to listen for kicks and giggles lol.
I was intending to speak to them after the shop opens after the weekend. I have notified them previously when their enthusiasm has got in the way of the details, so to speak, and frankly, while they made the detail changes to the specs listed wrongly...immediately, I couldn’t help but sense they thought I was a meddling a...le. .....and now I could ring and say: “Excuse me, your guitar demonstration video for the Taylor 717 has bad string squeak.” Hmm, maybe not.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Hahaha, most excellent.........if we all start quoting Seinfeld episodes this will be a very long and funny thread

Oh by the way congrats Blue on your new 717 from Ted. But after the back and forth with the first one its "no more soup for you"
There are always behind the scenes scenarios that come into play. For one, I was expecting a sum of money to come my way that never materialized. I put my cart before the horse and ordered the first 717. I panicked and sent it back while I still could. That and the case was damaged so it was a perfect situation to send back without paying shipping.

Then, out of the blue my J-45 gets an offer the same day that Ted sends me pics of the new 717 he got in. I figured it was the universe telling me to get another one!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

BluesKing777.
No concerned about return policies because I believe I only have 48 hours to return it anyways.

I'm going to heed you guys' advice and play it with Elixirs for a week and get a feel for the guitar so that I can correctly judge the effects of the changes.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
I think This thread is helpful in that it shows that the path to finding out what you want is rarely a straight line. I thought I had found the guitar of my dreams with a new-to-me used limited edition until the new 317e entered my life - the limited edition is now on its way back to where I got it from
Great analogy. My guitar escapades are always complicated and never straight lol. If I had returned the 717 and not thought about it again, I wouldn't have sold my J-45 and got another one. I just felt like it really was a guitar that I could use right now. I got a much better deal from Ted, so I saved some money and got better looking wood on this one. Very excited!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:21 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
No concerned about return policies because I believe I only have 48 hours to return it anyways.

I'm going to heed you guys' advice and play it with Elixirs for a week and get a feel for the guitar so that I can correctly judge the effects of the changes.

If you are going to play it with the Elixir for a week you have my deepest sympathies. They didn’t last 24 hours on mine...

Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Good plan to wait a week on the strings. I didn't change out the Elixir's on my recent 517 acquisition for about two weeks, and one gig. I'm usually an Elixir user, but on the 517, they were just too one dimensional and bright. I changed them out after a couple weeks with some Stringjoy Natural Bronze strings, and - wow - what a difference - fuller with better bass response - not so brash. I really like these Stringjoys! I'm not down on Elixir's, cause they sound great on most of the guitars I've owned, but they just weren't right for the 517. I think my two week wait helped me appreciate the difference more than if I would have swapped them out right away.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Nice!!! Haha yeah I’ve been on a bit of a wild run lately. Here is the new one from our buddy Ted! Ted and Helene at LA Guitar Sales treat me like no other! Ted sends me goodies, he emails me when he gets something in I might like and they get the best wood I’ve ever seen.

My D-18, Dread Jr and 717 have all now come from Ted, and there is definitely something special about the guitars he’s got!

Attachment 23563

Attachment 23564

Attachment 23565
Nice! I've become a huge fan of bearclaw spruce over the the past few years.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
Nice! I've become a huge fan of bearclaw spruce over the the past few years.
I'm actually not a really big fan of bear claw, but something about the look of this particular guitar speaks to me. I've read that bear claw indicates a stiff piece of wood, but all in all, Ted told me that this particular 717 sounds incredible, so I took him at his word and pushed the button.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion