The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM

I think the writers could have easily led us to believe the last dragon was effective because of the attack strategy. All the crossbow's were pointing seaward. Attack from behind! There was one scene where it looked like that was the plan. Second, if you have to attack from seaward, have the sun behind you making the bowman stare into it. All fighter pilots know the value of this tactic.

Using those ideas, enough of the bows could have been disabled or the targeting could have been disrupted to the point the dragon could take the rest of them out.

Why I am I even discussing this? I have no life!

Cincy
Old 05-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Dany went so far deep into the dark side, that she's now caused the most unnecessary, cruel, heartless deaths than any other character.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yes, but it's only been building for 2 episodes which destroys the last 7 seasons completely. I'm not the only one who thinks this:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/ga...08/e05/reviews
If you think about it, it has been building ever since Tyrion advised her to take Casterly Rock last season. “Enough with the clever plans, I have 3 very large dragons”. This goes back to last season. She then takes off and destroys the Lannister and Tyrell’s loot with her dragon and full Dothraki horde. Then early this season, Tyrion once again gives ill advice about Cersei helping with the White Walkers.

She has shown to act out of pure emotion often enough for the audience to foresee her going full on mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Dany went so far deep into the dark side, that she's now caused the most unnecessary, cruel, heartless deaths than any other character.

Yep. The only difference is that guys like Joffrey and Ramsay were sadists who enjoyed being cruel. Dany simply snapped and I’m sure she doesn’t understand what she has done yet.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
If you think about it, it has been building ever since Tyrion advised her to take Casterly Rock last season. “Enough with the clever plans, I have 3 very large dragons”. This goes back to last season. She then takes off and destroys the Lannister and Tyrell’s loot with her dragon and full Dothraki horde. Then early this season, Tyrion once again gives ill advice about Cersei helping with the White Walkers.

She has shown to act out of pure emotion often enough for the audience to foresee her going full on mad.
It's very hollow and lazy to me. Once again, I realize she's ruthless and I always have. But, she wasn't psychotic at all the entirety of the show and her whole character arc was that she wasn't someone that was mad in her family. There is no reasonable way she would go crazy and willfully kill women and children... even if she was psychotic... for an extremely long amount of time. Meaning that she very well knew what she was doing. Even psychopaths typically don't kill children.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 PM

Yeah, burning a whole town full of civilians is a pretty big psychotic break. She actually carried out her father's imperative to: "Burn them all."

I've re-watched the first 3 episodes, Season One. It's interesting to see how the characters have changed over the years, and how even the very latest developments were foreshadowed early on.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-15-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
It's very hollow and lazy to me. Once again, I realize she's ruthless and I always have. But, she wasn't psychotic at all the entirety of the show and her whole character arc was that she wasn't someone that was mad in her family. There is no reasonable way she would go crazy and willfully kill women and children... even if she was psychotic... for an extremely long amount of time. Meaning that she very well knew what she was doing. Even psychopaths typically don't kill children.

I agree definitely too rushed.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I agree definitely too rushed.
My female co-workers say they too would burn down everyone in King’s Landing if they got turned down by Jon Snow.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Wow...surprisingly large number of disappointed viewers at this point. Don’t watch Sunday. More GoT for the rest of us!
Haha, that's really not how it works!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
My female co-workers say they too would burn down everyone in King’s Landing if they got turned down by Jon Snow.
Jon Snow is adorable, but he's just a kid. My favorite is Davos, and it seems he's still alive next week.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It all reminds me of Jack Nicholson’s character in “As Good As It Gets” where a fan asks how he writes women so well? The reply was “I take a man, then I take away all reason and responsibility.”

That’s essentially what they did with Danerys, but they did it by suddenly going against 7 seasons of her playing the part of liberator and killer of oppressors. Ironically, this time the bricks killed the oppressors and she basically killed innocents.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 05-15-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:52 AM

Never watched it...I thought "Game of Thrones" was Musical Chairs played in a public restroom...
Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Jon Snow is adorable, but he's just a kid. My favorite is Davos, and it seems he's still alive next week.
Let's see. Joined the Knights Watch, survived alone with the wildlings, fell in love, watched his woman die in his arms, gets elected leader of said Knights Watch, unites the wildlings and northmen, is murdered, and resurrected.

Fights a battle to liberate his home, gets elected King, discovers the secrets of the first men, convinces the mother of dragons to join his cause, abdicates the throne, captures a dead man with a raid into the Knight King's army, brings said dead man to Kings Landing, negotiates with the most dangerous people in the world, falls in love with a queen who loves him back, and battles the Army of the Dead until almost no one is left.

Buries his dead, earns the love of the people, marches an army south to fight the Queen and survives both that battle and the rage of his Queen and her dragon.

I don't begrudge anyone their favorites, but while he's 25 years younger than me he sure ain't no kid.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 05-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Let's see. Joined the Knights Watch, survived alone with the wildlings, fell in love, watched his woman die in his arms, gets elected leader of said Knights Watch, unites the wildlings and northmen, is murdered, and resurrected.

Fights a battle to liberate his home, gets elected King, discovers the secrets of the first men, convinces the mother of dragons to join his cause, abdicates the throne, captures a dead man with a raid into the Knight King's army, brings said dead man to Kings Landing, negotiates with the most dangerous people in the world, falls in love with a queen who loves him back, and battles the Army of the Dead until almost no one is left.

Buries his dead, earns the love of the people, marches an army south to fight the Queen and survives both that battle and the rage of his Queen and her dragon.

I don't begrudge anyone their favorites, but while he's 25 years younger than me he sure ain't no kid.

Haha well put! It’s almost absurd how above everyone else Jon Snow is. He’s Aegon Targaryen, Sixth of his Name, Lord Commander of the Knight’s Watch, Unifier of the North, King in the North, The Undead, The Dragon Rider, Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:53 PM

I guess I like the quiet, support types who help make it possible for the heroes to be...well, heroes.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-19-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
I guess I like the quiet, support types who help make it possible for the heroes to be...well, heroes.

While Davos is an interesting character, he’s far from a favorite in my book. He’s still around out of sheer luck it seems. To me, my favorite supportive character is Sansa. I know that calling Sansa a supportive character is quite the stretch, but that has been her role since the beginning of the series. Coming from an entitled little girl, to a damsel in distress, to a very underestimated leader with a very calculated view of the Big Game, makes her the one character making things happen in the background while the Jons, the Aryas, The Danys are out there taking all the glory (or infamy).

I said it earlier in this thread, I think Sansa will be the one sitting on the Iron Throne.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic