The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Fender Accoustasonic Telecaster unplugged/PA

Does any have experience with the new Fender Accoustasonic?

Do they sound good unplugged?

Can run them directly to the PA or through a small preamp like my fishman tonedeq then to the PA or do you need and regular amplifier?

thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymopar View Post

Can run them directly to the PA or through a small preamp like my fishman tonedeq then to the PA or do you need and regular amplifier?

thanks
I understand they are usable unplugged but rather
uninspiring. I would think it would be like a hollowbody electric unplugged.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Just like the Taylor T5z (that I own) they are based on hollow body electric designs. No volume for air to move! Technically you can use them as an acoustic but you’ll be disappointed.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I played one the other day. The unplugged sound is very dead to my ears.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 AM

I have one, The only usable function for these unplugged is as a practice tool. It’s a good couch guitar that’s easy to hold and put out enough sound where you can dig in a bit. Plugged in I am very pleasantly surprised at how good the acoustic modeling is. I’ve had several Godin acoustcasters, a Taylor T5 and some others. The Fender is the first hybrid that actually sounds more acoustic than electric to my ears. I say that with the caveat that this guitar stirs quite a bit of emotion here on this forum So you best to check it out for yourself.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

Last edited by Ruppster; 04-13-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 AM

What little I know you'd have to get a Resolectric (National and Paul Beard make them) if you want something that's got the size of an electric but still produces a decent (amount of) sound unplugged. Of course they have a rather signature sound (but they do look good, not to say cool).
Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymopar View Post

thanks
Aaron's recent review will help you in your quest for information on the new Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=536287
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I have one, The only usable function for these unplugged is as a practice tool. It’s a good couch guitar that’s easy to hold and put out enough sound where you can dig in a bit. Plugged in I am very pleasantly surprised at how good the acoustic modeling is. I’ve had several Godin acoustcasters, a Taylor T5 and some others. The Fender is the first hybrid that actually sounds more acoustic than electric to my ears. I say that with the caveat that this guitar stirs quite a bit of emotion here on this forum So you best to check it out for yourself.
I agree. Fine for practicing on the couch, but won’t replace your full bodied acoustic. And yes, this guitar does stir emotions around here, which is why I decided not to do a full review on it. All I’ll say is I’ve used it numerous times in a live setting and I really like it!
Old 04-13-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Having owned stage guitars with both a quick note decay (Godin Multiac) and a long note decay (Renaissance RS6), I feel the quick note decay is better for fingerstyle playing (the notes don't run together as much) and modeling big box guitars (the modeling itself will add some sustain). That's why I suspect that the AT's relatively quick note decay (as an acoustic) is actually an advantage when it comes to achieving an amplified sound which works well for fingerstyle and sounds more like an actual acoustic when modeling big box acoustics (extreme sustain is more of an electric guitar quality).

My question to you, Ruppster, is have you ever run into feedback problems with the AT? The Fender folks have claimed that feedback is never an issue with the AT, and I don't doubt that its somewhat less feedback prone than any amplified -conventional acoustic.

Last edited by guitaniac; 04-13-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 AM

Default Thanks All

Thanks for the replies i figured it would not be a pure unplugged guitar. I will have to check one out in person.

What about running it through a PA without an amp like a standard accoustic? I like to be minimal with equipment and prefer not to have an amp.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:44 AM

The guitar is surprisingly resistant to feedback but I don’t trust any claim that begins with always or never. I run this guitar through a Bose S1 and that’s far I have not used any external pedals. I have the trace Elliot transit, a Fishman platinum EQ, as well as a boss seven band EQ pedal. Even though there’s no tone control on the acoustasonic I have found the tones to be more than passable going straight from the guitar to the Bose. I’ve also played this guitar through my Mustang GT 100 amp. I prefer my Gibson 339 and think the acoustasonic is better suited playing through a PA. I cannot stress enough that all of this is highly subjective. For me the Fender Acoustasonic is a nice tool when versatility overrides pure tone considerations.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 04-15-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
The guitar is surprisingly resistant to feedback but I don’t trust any claim that begins with always or never. I run this guitar through a Bose S1 and that’s far I have not used any external pedals. I have the trace Elliot transit, a Fishman platinum EQ, as well as a boss seven band EQ pedal. Even though there’s no tone control on the acoustasonic I have found the tones to be more than passable going straight from the guitar to the Bose. I’ve also played this guitar through my Mustang GT 100 amp. I prefer my Gibson 339 and think the acoustasonic is better suited playing through a PA. I cannot stress enough that all of this is highly subjective. For me the Fender Acoustasonic is a nice tool when versatility overrides pure tone considerations.
Feedback "resistance" is a plus, I like that you can run this right through the PA. I did not notice that lack of tone controls. I guess that would be the biggest concern the lack of control over the modeling software.

Thanks for the info.....i may check one out

Last edited by chevymopar; 04-15-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I too have thought that this would be a great
tool for playing live. At volume acoustic dreds
are a chore to get the tone and feedback under
control. Im thinking this guitar may sound more acoustic
than an actual acoustic at volumes that reak havoc on a dred.
I have an issue with the 2k price tag and am hoping fender will
come out with a mexican version with the same electronics and perhaps less
expensive woods. As I think this thing would
sound the same strapped to a 2x4. But I am waiting to actually play one in person.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

I have an issue with the 2k price tag and am hoping fender will come out with a mexican version with the same electronics and perhaps less expensive woods. As I think this thing would sound the same strapped to a 2x4. But I am waiting to actually play one in person.

I doubt that a MIM version will happen. The Acoustasonic is priced to compete with the Taylor T5z Classic @ $1899. They are two flavors of the same guitar.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-16-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I doubt that a MIM version will happen. The Acoustasonic is priced to compete with the Taylor T5z Classic @ $1899. They are two flavors of the same guitar.
Ive heard videos of both and would tend to think
the t5z is more electric sounding then the fender.
In the acoustic mode.
I really think fender has hit the nail on the head
with this new technology. Unfortunatly i dont know
when Ill be able to try one. because we dont have
any big dealers locally, Maybe after sales slow down a bit.
I realize its not a traditional looking thing but that doesnt
bother me as it sounds sweet and I really think its a great
tool for anyone who plays lead in a loud band.
Weve gone digital anyway so that sweet analog sound is no more.
My band has stopped sounding acoustic a long time ago.
As a solo performer i would leave it home. But for the band
i think it would work well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification