The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-17-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Ever since Kessel got trade to the Pens, I thought he was the luckiest guy in the NHL. Big contract (overpaid), playing with Cup contenders every year, and when things don't go well with the team he's not the main, or secondary focal point (like he was in Toronto).

Perhaps the Pens should rest Malkin.
Malkin has sat enough. He just came off a 4 (or was it 5?) game injury and sat out a game suspension. If they’re trying to stay alive, willfully sitting one of their top 2 players just doesn’t make sense. Better that they sit Kessel IMO.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 AM

PS: it looks like Malkin had a good game yesterday. Will the tides be turning? I hope the trend continues tomorrow in New Jersey. Pens are now back in it tied for 7th.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
PS: it looks like Malkin had a good game yesterday. Will the tides be turning? I hope the trend continues tomorrow in New Jersey. Pens are now back in it tied for 7th.
Good news for sure.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:08 PM

Sharks are Pitt tonight as I'm sure that Pens will be up to avenge their 5-2 loss to the Sharks on 1/15. Just came off an overtime loss at home to the Bruins that the ref's should have caught the high stick goal that allowed the Bruins to tie the game with a minute to go in regulation.

Tonights game should be a good test to see how the Sharks play on the road with #65 back on defense for a road game. And the old boy Joe Thornton having a hat trick against the Bruins in what should have been a great comeback win for the Sharks after being down 3-0. Ryan Miller's name is being mentioned for goalie help for the Sharks as it's their biggest problem area.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 02-21-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom View Post
Sharks are Pitt tonight as I'm sure that Pens will be up to avenge their 5-2 loss to the Sharks on 1/15. Just came off an overtime loss at home to the Bruins that the ref's should have caught the high stick goal that allowed the Bruins to tie the game with a minute to go in regulation.

Tonights game should be a good test to see how the Sharks play on the road with #65 back on defense for a road game. And the old boy Joe Thornton having a hat trick against the Bruins in what should have been a great comeback win for the Sharks after being down 3-0. Ryan Miller's name is being mentioned for goalie help for the Sharks as it's their biggest problem area.
This is a game I've been looking forward to watching. The Sharks 5-2 win against the Pens at their tank was not as close as that score might suggest. The Sharks dominated every aspect of that one.

In tonight's rematch the Pens will be icing a very different team from the one they did on 1/15. By my count at least 6 players who didn't play in the first game for the Pens will be in the lineup tonight. This game will also be a test for the Pens to see if they've made the changes they needed to compete for a Cup.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-21-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Yep, Boston won that game and they won last night for 7 in a row. 2nd in the conference.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
This is a game I've been looking forward to watching. The Sharks 5-2 win against the Pens at their tank was not as close as that score might suggest. The Sharks dominated every aspect of that one.

In tonight's rematch the Pens will be icing a very different team from the one they did on 1/15. By my count at least 6 players who didn't play in the first game for the Pens will be in the lineup tonight. This game will also be a test for the Pens to see if they've made the changes they needed to compete for a Cup.
Are you referring to players like Jack Johnson and Tanner Pearson? If the Pens are going to depend on them, good luck. Tonights game showed them kind of useless out there. Best moment of game, Crosby throwing punches at Michael Haley. Priceless.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 02-22-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Are you referring to players like Jack Johnson and Tanner Pearson? If the Pens are going to depend on them, good luck. Tonights game showed them kind of useless out there. Best moment of game, Crosby throwing punches at Michael Haley. Priceless.
Nope. Johnson and Pearson were both there on 1/15. The players I was referring to include Justin Schultz, Chad Ruhwedel, Nick Bjugstad, Jared McCann, Zach Aston-Reese and Teddy Blueger. Pearson played instead of Blueger, much to my disappointment.

And while I'll not argue that Johnson and Pearson looked "kind of useless", I could say that about nearly every member of the Pens in last night's game. That game was a pretty accurate distillation of the Pens play this season. They had good possession numbers, were pass-happy and reluctant to put pucks on the net, never established a forecheck, gave up their league leading 13th short-handed goal against, and took undisciplined penalties. Given the talent of the personnel that the Pens have, the performance of the team has been less than the sum of its individual parts.

The Sharks, on the other hand, looked poised, skilled and played their system as a cohesive unit.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 AM

You're right about the Pens reluctance in shooting the puck last night. They had a few chances last night especially kessel's shank of a wide open net. Overall Martin Jones had a decent game last night but i think that had a lot to do with the Shark's D and the Pens poor offensive performance. I don't really follow the Pens that much being out west, so i guess i really shouldn't second guess the the Pens roster until i become acquainted with the team. If the Sharks ever get great goal-tending they could contend for the cup.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 02-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
You're right about the Pens reluctance in shooting the puck last night. They had a few chances last night especially kessel's shank of a wide open net. Overall Martin Jones had a decent game last night but i think that had a lot to do with the Shark's D and the Pens poor offensive performance. I don't really follow the Pens that much being out west, so i guess i really shouldn't second guess the the Pens roster until i become acquainted with the team. If the Sharks ever get great goal-tending they could contend for the cup.
Seems to me the Sharks have all the bases covered regarding personnel. All they need is a focus of purpose and some luck staying healthy, and they could be hoisting Lord Stanley's chalice come June.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-22-2019, 05:00 PM

Wow - McDavid suspended 2 games for illegal check! I didn't see the hit but gotta feel that it's warranted. I don't think the Oilers' season can get any worse.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Between Malkin's slump, Kessel being skittish about shooting the puck and Hornqvist dealing with a concussion the Pens' offense has been nonexistent. Giving up a league leading number of shorthanded goals isn't helping them. It's almost like the Pens are still in hangover mode after their back to back cups.

Meanwhile, ex-Pen Hagelin was just traded from the Kings to the Capitals today.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:41 AM

Columbus won last night to tie Pittsburgh with points and Carolina is just 1 point back. Add in Montreal and there's 3 teams vying for 2 wild card spots.

What happened to Buffalo? They were first or second overall in the NHL a couple months back before the skates fell off.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:03 PM

Boston won again and Marchard with 3 points. They're positioning themselves well. Hopefully they don't peak too early.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Boston won again and Marchard with 3 points. They're positioning themselves well. Hopefully they don't peak too early.
The 4-1 win vs the Sharks helped my Flames! Bruins made some good depth moves, at the deadline. They should be fine. Goaltending has been exceptional, for the Bruins thus far, this season. And like my Flames, the Bruins will need to more consistent secondary scoring down the stretch, and in the playoffs.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic