The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-11-2018, 03:23 PM

Default Cordoba vs. Pavan

Does anyone have experience with both the Cordoba and Pavan. I tried a Cordoba C10 and a C12. Great guitars. I'm curious to know how the action of a Pavan TP-30 compares to the Cordobas.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a Pavan TP-30 and have played many Cordobas. I'd say they are comparable in sound quality, but the Pavan seems to be a bit more refined in terms of craftsmanship. I think it would come down to the individual guitars in question. In my opinion, the action of a new guitar should have no bearing whatsoever in a purchasing decision. Action can be modified easily and expensively. I look at guitars the same way I look at suits: They all have to be tailored to fit the owner after the purchase. The Cordobas may have a bit of an advantage, though, because they have adjustable truss rods.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:10 PM

I owned a TP-30 for several years, played it daily and think it is the best sounding guitars at that price level. I would not hesitate to buy one again. I don't have much experience with Cordoba. At the time I was playing nylon Cordoba were all lower level guitars.
Guild GAD30RATB
Old 12-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I've owned both and would go with the Pavan every time. Soundwise, maybe about even, craftmanship-wise the Pavan wins. Plus, you won't find a better guy than Tom Prisloe to work with.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 PM

Great. Thanks. I've been struggling a long time with a 660 scale and was considering the TP-30-64. I don't think I'd be overcompensating on the reduced scale, but I am a little concerned about the narrower nut. I did try a Cordoba Torres 640. It seems okay, but I hope it will work out in the long run.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGeezer View Post
Great. Thanks. I've been struggling a long time with a 660 scale and was considering the TP-30-64. I don't think I'd be overcompensating on the reduced scale,
I don't think so either. At all. Although going from 660 to 640 is almost an inch in length, you'll most likely perceive that change, playability wise, as very welcome.
The long scale was mostly introduced to cater to Segovia and the legion of concert level classical students and performers that he inspired. With a handle name like slimgeezer, I'm guessing you also don't have thick chubby fingers like he did.
Quote:
but I am a little concerned about the narrower nut. I did try a Cordoba Torres 640. It seems okay, but I hope it will work out in the long run.
The Pavans should all have the flat fingeboard and standard 2" or so classical nut width.
How much wider is the spacing at the nut on your long scale?

It can't be much more than a few mm above that. If so, that shouldn't be an issue for you either I would think. Even with high tension strings.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-12-2018, 10:11 AM

A 650 has a 52mm nut. 640 has a 50.

You're right. I have long thin fingers. And, according to my grandchildren, I am an old geezer, so I need every advantage I can get.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:48 PM

I ordered Pavan years ago and returned it because it had a few defects. After that experience I didn't buy a classical for several years and didn't reconsider the Pavan at the time. I probably should have tried one again, but a local dealer carried what could be considered an equivalent, a Hill New World Player, and that's what I ended up getting. The Payer is in the same price range as the Pavan so you could consider that as an option.

Oh, I do agree that Tom Prisloe was definitely good to work with.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-30-2018, 04:48 PM

I have a TP30-64 (640mm scale) spruce top and a Cordoba C10 Cedar. Not the same price range (a C10 can be had all day long for around $1K or sometimes a little under) but here are my thoughts.

The C10 is a nice guitar, very cleanly built, etc and a great value, especially for a gig guitar. My longtime playing partner, who gigs on nylon exclusively, used a pair of C10's (spruce and cedar) for years. MY C10 suffers the inexpensive classical bugaboo of TOO much bass (or not enough treble, I suppose) as did my playing partner's, but plugged in, they were fine. The low E in particular is just massive and overwhelms the rest of the guitar. The Pavan is beautifully balanced string to string, and is tonally just a better guitar. In fairness, the Pavan is $1,700 verses $1,000 (or less) so, as usual, there's no free lunch.

Quality of Construction is pretty similar on both, although the Pavan is noticeably lighter (no trussrod on the Pavan).

PS. My playing partner switched from his C10 about a year ago to a Hanika 54. This is a German made guitar in the $1,700 range, it is on par with a Pavan and again, a good deal better than a Cordoba (for MORE money).

All of the above is MY OPINION, as always, YMMV!
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 01-02-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger. I just got off the phone with Tom Prisloe -- ordered a spruce TP30-64. It's going to take a while to get it because he only has cedars in stock. So now the waiting game begins.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 PM

You won't be disappointed. Great guitars.
Guild GAD30RATB
Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger. I just got off the phone with Tom Prisloe -- ordered a spruce TP30-64. It's going to take a while to get it because he only has cedars in stock. So now the waiting game begins.
I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the TP30-64 once it is in your hands. I spoke with Tom last year but haven't made a decision on how to proceed. My hands are smallish. I have difficulty with standard neck size on a classical guitar. Tom suggested I try a shortscale. I'm not fond of the "try it out and return it" policy which is certainly a fair one, but I'd rather have the opportunity to try a variety of shortscale guitars before making a decision. I don't have that option where I live and would have to travel to Philadelphia to do so. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:45 AM

I'll certainly post a report.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Hi everyone - I picked up acoustic guitar a couple of years ago after a long hiatus, but have a lovely "Salvation Army" Yamaha nylon that I get wonderful satisfaction out of when I play it. I love the mellow tone, feel of the strings, and the intimacy of the small body.

I am an occasional should-I-shouldn't-I casual shopper exactly in the Pavan TP-20/30 vs Cordoba C9/C10 vein of this thread and had a few questions.

Is there a third or fourth line of guitars I should add to my decision set (I see a shout out for a Hill World Player above).

Also, over the past two years I've gotten more familiar with how acoustic players describe their preferences (vintage vs. modern, fundamental vs overtone, clarity vs complexity). What are the similar tradeoffs in the nylon string world, and would players who have tried both Pavan, Cordoba and any other brand they suggest I try in this price range ($800-$1500 new) describe tonal variations?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Smile

I have two Cordoba C-10's but no experience with Pavan. I bought a flawless C-10 cedar two years ago for $800 and a flawless C-10 spruce last year for $600. I am very happy with these. There is enough difference between the cedar and spruce to justify having both, so I don't regret either purchase. I bought both online so I realize that these purchases could easily gone south. But they didn't and I am a very happy man.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical