The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 09:32 PM

Default V-picks...

I've had my V-Pick actually stick to my thumb after I open my grip, and I have to shake it off. They stick like a gekko on glass. The material is so smooth, I suspect they develop tiny low pressure areas between my fingertips.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 AM

I'm a big fan of Dunlop Max-Grip picks. They're all I use. Highly recommended.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/p...ks/max-grip.do
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 01-16-2019, 02:07 AM

The Dava Grip Tips work for me. The moulded rubber holds my thumb and finger in place.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

I have diabetes too, and my hands are very dry. The only picks I can hang on to (and I've tried a lot of different types) are the ones made of Vespel - Blue Chip, and the Charmed Life brown pick. Anything else rotates or drops from my fingers, with the exception of casein picks - e.g. Red Bear, Charmed Life red or, from the UK, Hawke picks, which are better than the others, but not as secure as Vespel. However, I don't find the sound of casein as pleasing as Vespel, so it has to be Blue Chip for me.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks Socalsurf for the monster grip recommend. I play with a rounded triangle shaped pick, and the others mentioned in this thread are the more common shape. I'll try the stickers on my picks. Triumph, I hope you find the right pick for you
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM

Love my Blue Chip TD45. Haven't used anything else in over a year.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I have an issue with this also with picks sliding out of my fingers. That's why I designed my hybrid thumbpick / flatpick thing. I'm not going to do a sales pitch but if the OP wants more information just shoot me an email or click the link in my signature.

One thing I have found that really helps me with a standard flatpick are the sticky dots from Guitar Moose. Stick them on a pick and it won't slide around in your fingers. Also if your pick wears out, you can peel it off and stick it to another pick and keep going. I buy these things in bulk and probably have about 30 unopened packs in my shop. They're that good. Here's the link.

https://guitarmoose.com/shop?olsPage...kydots-10-pack
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I too use the "Sticky Dots" from Guitar Moose and put them on all the picks I use (which mostly are Charmed Life picks) Super to use and easy to keep a good grip, even if you are holding loosely. I too have some arthritis issues and really these have augmented the enjoyment of playing for me
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 AM

I had some of these given to me about a year ago.
Haven't used anything else since.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ks-and-tin-box
Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 AM

I don't think anyone has suggested this... The Herco Heavy thumb pick.

I often play acoustic gigs where I have to immediately segue from strumming to finger picking to flat picking with no time in between. I swear by the Herco Heavy thumb picks. Some of them I play stock, I have put speed bevels on a few and on one I've even gone to the trouble of super-gluing a Dunlop Ultex pick to the Herco (then filing the edges flush with a slight bevel) for even more oomph.

https://www.amazon.com/Herco-HE113P-...mb+picks+heavy
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 AM

I'm on some heavy meds that also dry my skin out and made it hard to get a good grip on any pick I tried. Then I met a fellow picker at our Wednesday evening open mic who introduced me to violin bow rosin, scrape the rosin block with a pocket knife to create a little powder, rub your thumb in it and rub your thumb and forefinger together real good, and bobs your uncle. This will keep your pick from slipping or rotating. I can now use any brand pick, presently using prime tone sculpted jazz III XL grip 88 and 1.4 mm picks that no longer move around in my fingers even when I'm playing crabgrass music.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM

99% flat-picker here when playing guitar. In my observation there are two issues: dropping the pick and the pick sliding around within one's grip so that the point is no longer aimed properly. I have only an inconsistent issue with these things.

On electric, where I may be playing "lead" more often, I rarely drop a pick. I do sometimes have an issue with the pick sliding sideways in my grip. When playing single note lead lines my wrist pretty much locked and hold onto the pick with a tight grip. Regular, flat, smooth-surface 351 shape picks are usually no problem for me on electric. When I've tried the smaller "jazz" shapes I find them a little too small, and grip is an issue. I even want to rotate the pick as I get the Roy Buchanan type squeals with the pick side.

On acoustic, I'm often cross-picking, sometimes strumming, and single-string lines may also occur. When strumming I'm using a looser wrist and a looser grip. When cross-picking I have a tighter wrist, but even more up and down movement of the pick where I'm changing directions a whole lot. I don't have much pick drop issue, but the angle of the pick point moving is a problem sometimes. When I move between strumming and cross-picking inside a tune, the chances of issues are maximized.

Textured picks help a bit, but I've never found one that I consistently like sound and feel wise for my range of acoustic playing (I've used Herco nylon for some tunes where the nylon pick sound works). Nubby picks like the Primetones with the raised dots work, but I'm not in love with their sound. Single puncture picks (for example the Everly "star" picks) are the worst, as I'll consistently get pick rotation. Dava picks with the rubber jacket are excellent for grip, but I'm sloppy enough that I get the rubber part striking the strings sometimes, and when that happens, ugh! Rosin style goop is an option I'd try if I was organized enough to have it handy.

One thing I've been trying in the past few months on acoustic with growing pleasure is the larger 346 shape. I started to try them after noticing Silly Moustache touting them in his speed-bevel video. The larger surface helps my grip when strumming and seems to help keep my point aimed better when cross-picking. Worst case, if the point moves I can quickly rotate in any direction and get another point. The larger size isn't my first choice for acoustic "lead" single note lines, but it's less of an issue than I would have thought. I think the larger rounded triangle 346 shape is worth a try for anyone who has pick-grip problems either of the drop or rotate kind.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 AM

I like the DAVA picks.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 AM

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions I'm definitely going to try some of these. As some have mentioned, my pick doesn't get dropped but it rotates backwards I guess I hold it too light. but I'm 53 and I've been playing since I was nine so that's going to be tricky to change that because I don't think about my right hand at all. Im mostly a chord strummer for church or get together's.
Im really interested in the rosin idea and the moose things, and definitely going to look into some thumb picks that are attached to a standard style pic. but I also think I may try a triangle pick I've never used one. May be easier to find a tip when it rotates.
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm going to head over to guitar center and see what they have on hand to see how some things feel.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
I'm a big fan of Dunlop Max-Grip picks. They're all I use. Highly recommended.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/p...ks/max-grip.do
I have a few of these in different thicknesses and they sure are grippy, I will say. Someone told me they grip and feel very similar to the Cat Tongue picks, which I've yet to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
The Dava Grip Tips work for me. The moulded rubber holds my thumb and finger in place.
I have some Dava picks, but not this variety with the rubber tips. Been waiting to try them, but I believe I'll have to acquire them online. Never seen them in the wild.

As another poster said, I am a bit concerned that I may end up striking the strings with the rubber tip, but I'll give them a try.

- John Shedd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion