The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-05-2019, 01:30 PM

Default How to set up recording in this space.. Need advice.

I know I may have asked about this before.

But I still need some assist... I have been experimenting and getting "OK" recordings.. But I am still learning and tryin'.

I realize room treatment in general is crucial. But I only have 1/2 a room and it is not permanent. The other half of the area is an office area and my wife's work out equipment.

I have 6 (4'x2') Acoustic panels that I made with Rockwool..
2 of them are 6 inch thick and other 4 units are 3" thick.

Is there any hope? It just seems like so many reflective surfaces.
Suggestions of best way to use the panels...
How should I set up in this room?

Just me playing Acoustic Guitar and singing .. Using an AT2035 LDC and I also have 2 SDC Oktava Mk-012.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:41 PM

I've found that surrounding you and the mic with the acoustic panels to be more effective. Ideally, you'll have to devise a way of getting them up a foot or so off the floor.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I've found that surrounding you and the mic with the acoustic panels to be more effective. Ideally, you'll have to devise a way of getting them up a foot or so off the floor.
Good points.. raising the panels off the floor could be pretty easy fix.

So with your suggestion.. Where would I set up? Which way should I face and which way do the mics face?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:13 PM

Is this config advisable? .. Or do I need to get more into the middle of room.

Again.. Just looking for ideas.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Having the panels in front of you and the guitar, not behind, is more effective.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-05-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Having the panels in front of you and the guitar, not behind, is more effective.
Great.. I will need to try that.

Do I set up in that corner or more in the center of the long wall?

How far from the wall ? ... Also how far should I place the panels from me and wall.
Thanks !!
Old 01-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

So the good news is the irregular back wall and ceiling angle is probably a plus.
The bad news is as you say lots of reflective surface to deal with

I agree with runamuck and Rick surrounding yourself with the panels good and getting them up off the floor also 1 to 2 ft. As you say I just built a basic 1by 4 H shaped wood frame with feet

So to that end I would get further out from the wall BUT definitely not in dead center of the entire space .... So closer to the wall where your wood chair is than the wall behind you in the photos
I would face the wall with wood chair and have then have mic's face you. And start with maybe 3 or 4 panels behind the mics (which would be as Rick suggested in front of you .. with possibly the 6 inch ones at a 45 degree angle in the corners on the chair wall or depending on ( what the item on the right side of the chair is ? ) The chair is actually a reasonable corner bass trap. so you could maybe try the two 6" ones side by side at 45 degrees across the left ( in photo ) corner .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-05-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

That space may be a bit challenging with only six traps. For any single room studio, there are two "listening" locations that the treatment should be focused: (i) wherever the mics and guitar are located and (ii) wherever your playback speakers and your ears are located. Your angled wall has advantages and disadvantages, and it's probably best to place several traps on it, as well as the corners of the main vertical walls. Yes, some portable gobo traps will help too.

In terms of placement, try placing you recording desk facing the wide wall towards the angled ceiling but pull it out a bit from that wall. Try the mics a few feet behind the desk chair pointing towards the desk and simply turn the chair around to record.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM

Get the mic in the middle of the room.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To clarify You are meaning from side to side or ( centered between the long walls of the room) yes ? But from front to back the middle position is not a good idea as I understand it, at least for a mixing position ????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The middle of the room is more likely to suffer from standing waves. Maybe not much of an issue with acoustic guitar and a big enough room however personally I have better results by not being so symmetrically located in the room

Old 01-05-2019, 03:34 PM

Thanks Kev for the details.

BTW, the room is about 20x30 ft.

The wall in photo is the 20 ft wide wall.

I have always set up playing (me facing out into the room).. With all the panels behind me.
But being that the other wall (you cant see) has no treatment or anything.. guess that was a no-no.

OK! I will switch things around.
Set up facing the wall.. (start with being 8 feet back from that wall). Place several panels along the wall and then put a couple behind me.

BTW, the right corner where the over stuffed chair is... The corner is a huge couch cushion that I have vertical as a bass trap.

Will check this new design out and report !

Thx all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So the good news is the irregular back wall and ceiling angle is probably a plus.
The bad news is as you say lots of reflective surface to deal with

I agree with runamuck and Rick surrounding yourself with the panels good and getting them up off the floor also 1 to 2 ft. As you say I just built a basic 1by 4 H shaped wood frame with feet

So to that end I would get further out from the wall BUT definitely not in dead center of the entire space .... So closer to the wall where your wood chair is than the wall behind you in the photos
I would face the wall with wood chair and have then have mic's face you. And start with maybe 3 or 4 panels behind the mics (which would be as Rick suggested in front of you .. with possibly the 6 inch ones at a 45 degree angle in the corners on the chair wall or depending on ( what the item on the right side of the chair is ? ) The chair is actually a reasonable corner bass trap. so you could maybe try the two 6" ones side by side at 45 degrees across the left ( in photo ) corner .
Old 01-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I have a bunch of panels (on walls and ceiling). Added a few more since the picture below taken.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
That space may be a bit challenging with only six traps. For any single room studio, there are two "listening" locations that the treatment should be focused: (i) wherever the mics and guitar are located and (ii) wherever your playback speakers and your ears are located. Your angled wall has advantages and disadvantages, and it's probably best to place several traps on it, as well as the corners of the main vertical walls. Yes, some portable gobo traps will help too.

In terms of placement, try placing you recording desk facing the wide wall towards the angled ceiling but pull it out a bit from that wall. Try the mics a few feet behind the desk chair pointing towards the desk and simply turn the chair around to record.
Thanks.. I am not able to move my desk. But will study your post.

KevWind's suggestion was to set up "facing" the wall... With Mics facing me... Is this what you are saying? Or the opposite.

Here's a photo of what I "believe" Kev was suggesting.

I don't want to get tooo confused..

Old 01-05-2019, 06:55 PM

Looks great,, How did you attach those on ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I have a bunch of panels (on walls and ceiling). Added a few more since the picture below taken.

Last edited by JakeStone; 01-05-2019 at 07:07 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD