The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looks like it is not common knowledge (anymore) that pernambuco dye was the rage of Europe for quite a few years through the 1600's and into the 1700's. Not only was the Brazilian state of pernambuco named after the wood, but Brazil itself was reportedly named after the wood rather than visa versa. Pernambuco came very close to extinction because it was nearly all cut at that time. Then the bow-makers discovered that it was peerless for the violin family bows, but it was already in short supply.

Now I have found it to be perhaps the ideal tonewood for acoustic guitars, at least to my ear, and you can imagine the difficulty in getting big enough pieces for this purpose, especially since the tree is said to rarely get big enough for 2 piece quarter-sawn guitar backs in the best of circumstances. My cost for the good P makes BRW look affordable!

Yes, I save the sawdust.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 11-09-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Smile Another fine AGF fact...

Pernambuco stain! Looks more like Cremonese Gold to me. Absolutely Beautiful color and unreal workmanship...

A joy for a craftsman with SKILLS and sharp tools!

And a joy for us to admire from afar.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-09-2018, 01:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's a note I got this morning from my customer, Joe Helm. Joe is playing a D18 inspired guitar I made in 2007 on this recording. I will be building him another guitar next spring, which will be an interesting blend of traditional and contemporary. Stay tuned!

Hi Bruce,

Here’s a link to some recent recording I did with your 2007 dread. Great tone.

https://soundcloud.com/user-22852963...-mountain-home

Joe
Old 11-09-2018, 06:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have the second coat on and it is tack free, so I brought it into better light . . . still not ideal. We have incredibly dense smoke outside at the moment. The fire is in Butte County, about 200 miles east, and it is hard to believe so much smoke got here so fast. If I go outside my lungs tighten uncomfortably in minutes. Can't complain too seriously, an entire town of some 17,000 is apparently completely obliterated. Trouble in Paradise.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Bruce, how do you keep your binding so white?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful work Bruce!! I'd love to play a Pernumbuco guitar.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have the second coat on and it is tack free, so I brought it into better light . . . still not ideal. We have incredibly dense smoke outside at the moment. The fire is in Butte County, about 200 miles east, and it is hard to believe so much smoke got here so fast. If I go outside my lungs tighten uncomfortably in minutes. Can't complain too seriously, an entire town of some 17,000 is apparently completely obliterated. Trouble in Paradise.

I figured (no pun intended ) that this was a spectacular set of wood in the white, but with the stain, under a couplr coats, I can already see the deep 3-dimensional quality of the figuring. Intense!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, it was a great set of Maple before I adulterated It with P stain. When this stain goes directly on the wood, it does penetrate better in the relative endgrain than in the more aligned with the surface grain, accentuating the figure in this case. As opposed to toner, which is in the finish, and while it can make compelling color, it is at the expense of the natural beauty of the material.

The binding is grained Ivoroid, and the stain doesn’t penetrate it, making keeping it white (cream, really) a piece of cake.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Beautiful work Bruce!! I'd love to play a Pernumbuco guitar.
My shop is in Petaluma, which cannot be very far if you’re in the Bay Area. I do have two of my P guitars on hand at the moment, though that can change on no notice. Call first!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The binding is grained Ivoroid, and the stain doesn’t penetrate it, making keeping it white (cream, really) a piece of cake.
Darn, fooled me again.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Update on my BRW/Italian JB-L00 that I have had for about 2 weeks now. The guitar continues to be amazing. It is light, responsive, articulate, with wonderful sustain and notes that bloom and expand and fill my ears with pleasure.

I think this guitar is something quite special. Well done Mr. Sexauer.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you for saying so, Tom, and you are most welcome.

I sent out the announcement today for the next meeting of Northern California Association of Luthiers. Some of my AGF readers are in the Bay Area and may be interested, so I include it here as well:

NCALarians,
Today in November 12, 2018, and next Sunday, November 18, 2018, we have been invited to hold our semi-monthly regular meeting at Hill Guitars in Felton, CA. Our host will be Kenny Hill, assisted by his staff, including Maggie Kling who actually facilitated this; thank you, Maggie. There will be parking and signage to direct us to it, so keep an eye out. Kenny has hosted meeting in the past and has a very professional operation which is focused on nylon strung guitars, both classical/traditional, and hybrid contemporary. VERY interesting stuff, IMO. Kenny will do a presentation, I believe, as well as giving a shop tour.

While the meeting is technically from 2 pm through 5 pm, arrive an hour early and spend some time hanging with the crew, eating and drinking (please contribute snack/drinks), and selling/buying lutherie oriented whatever (wood and tools, for instance). There will be new persons introductions, some business talk, show and tell (bring and share), and then Kenny. If you want a guaranteed seat, please bring one.

Maggie's note:
The address is 7362 Hwy 9 in Felton. We will have signs on highway 9 directing to where the workshop is and parking will have to be wherever they can find whether it be on the street or in the back of the workshop.

Be there or question your viability,

Bruce, the prez
Old 11-13-2018, 12:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have five coats of oil varnish on the maple ES at this point, but it looks about the same so I haven't bothered with new photos. It'll probably see strings is about a month and be delivered in time to be somebody's Christmas present.

Yesterday I started a new guitar. This one is a classical guitar made from D. tucurensis topped with Italian spruce. Interestingly, the customer created their own template which I am using as faithfully as possible. We worked through earlier drafts till it got to where I thought it would work, but it is certainly their design rather than my own. I wonder if it will sound other than my previous several?

Old 11-13-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I have five coats of oil varnish on the maple ES at this point, but it looks about the same so I haven't bothered with new photos. It'll probably see strings is about a month and be delivered in time to be somebody's Christmas present.

Yesterday I started a new guitar. This one is a classical guitar made from D. tucurensis topped with Italian spruce. Interestingly, the customer created their own template which I am using as faithfully as possible. We worked through earlier drafts till it got to where I thought it would work, but it is certainly their design rather than my own. I wonder if it will sound other than my previous several?

Nice! What kind of variations are we talking compared to your closest sized model?
Do the differences go beyond just the measurements?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Since I haven’t built two classical with either the same template or the same bracing it it tough to answer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop