The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-08-2018, 02:52 PM

It's going to be a long season for the Canucks. The good thing is the darkest days are behind them and the new Sedin-less era is here.

The Canucks have a plethora of good young talent and prospects. The best of them this year is Elias Petterson. Easterners will get to see him early as the team is on your side for a road trip. This kid has looked sharp in his first two games and might be the real deal.

With Quinn Hughes coming in on D next year things are looking up. Coach Green has them playing an aggressive uptempo style that is exciting o watch even if they are losing.
It's going to be a long year but should be the last year where we wont make the playoffs or at least seriously challenge.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside_Guitar View Post
It's going to be a long season for the Canucks. The good thing is the darkest days are behind them and the new Sedin-less era is here.

The Canucks have a plethora of good young talent and prospects. The best of them this year is Elias Petterson. Easterners will get to see him early as the team is on your side for a road trip. This kid has looked sharp in his first two games and might be the real deal.

With Quinn Hughes coming in on D next year things are looking up. Coach Green has them playing an aggressive uptempo style that is exciting o watch even if they are losing.
It's going to be a long year but should be the last year where we wont make the playoffs or at least seriously challenge.
I think the Sedins leaving are a good thing because it lets the team start rebuilding and freeing up some money. I don't mean that as a negative on the Sedin's talent and what they meant to the team for all those years.

Bergeron with a hat trick in Boston's win over Ottawa this afternoon. Bergeron - Marchand - Pasternak is a great line.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:47 PM

Bergeron-Marchand-Pasternak with 8 points in today's win. That line and the Bruins are hot!

Pens playing tonight in Montreal.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:19 PM

Any Nashville Predators fans? Though I am a Caps fan the Preds are my second team. Fans is Nashville are great and the city itself and the whole area around Bridgestone Arena support the team. Went to college in Nashville many years ago when hockey was not even thought about anywhere in the south. Got to walk around Bridgestone Arena when I visited the Ryman a couple years ago. Bridgestone Arena is a great venue.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:29 PM

Big Leafs fan here, they’re off to a good start this year. ‘67 was a long time ago.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
Any Nashville Predators fans? Though I am a Caps fan the Preds are my second team. Fans is Nashville are great and the city itself and the whole area around Bridgestone Arena support the team. Went to college in Nashville many years ago when hockey was not even thought about anywhere in the south. Got to walk around Bridgestone Arena when I visited the Ryman a couple years ago. Bridgestone Arena is a great venue.
Hey Rev, it was great to see the Predators make it to the Cup Finals and give the team and the fans some exposure across the NHL. PK Subban has made Nashville a more visible team for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Big Leafs fan here, they’re off to a good start this year. ‘67 was a long time ago.
Gotta be one of the best Leafs starts in many years. Matthews and Tavares are hot. I think Toronto is the next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup - within the next 3 years if not sooner.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:23 AM

How's Crosby playing? I haven't watched any games but he doesn't have a goal yet.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How's Crosby playing? I haven't watched any games but he doesn't have a goal yet.
He's had some chances, but has either missed the target or been the victim of some good goaltending. Made an egregiously ill-timed shift change in OT last night against the Canucks which contributed to Vancouver scoring moments later. In general his play has looked uninspiring.

On the other hand he looked great playing with the Kenyan hockey team.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-17-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
He's had some chances, but has either missed the target or been the victim of some good goaltending. Made an egregiously ill-timed shift change in OT last night against the Canucks which contributed to Vancouver scoring moments later. In general his play has looked uninspiring.

On the other hand he looked great playing with the Kenyan hockey team.
<<snippet video>>
I had heard he had played with the Kenyan team. How cool. Hopefully Sid picks things up with the Pens.

How about those high flying Leafs!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I had heard he had played with the Kenyan team. How cool. Hopefully Sid picks things up with the Pens.

How about those high flying Leafs!
The way the Pens have played so far (lackadaisically poor defensively) I wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto fill the net against them on Thursday, and HC Mike Sullivan have a stroke on the bench.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 PM

Well the real Pens showed up tonight in Toronto. Beat the Leafs 3-0, and dominated play for most of the game. Pittsburgh's team defense was, as the score would suggest, very good.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Well the real Pens showed up tonight in Toronto. Beat the Leafs 3-0, and dominated play for most of the game. Pittsburgh's team defense was, as the score would suggest, very good.
Quite the accomplishment given how well the Maple Leafs have played.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:56 AM

Nashville won again last night (10/19) Makes them 6 and 1. Pretty good record though it is so early in the season. Caps lost in a shoot out - they should have 2 more wins than they do. Have no idea what's going on with Detroit. Since I am a Caps fan I still vividly remember Detroit sweeping us in the 1998 Cup.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Oh ye of little faith. Talk in Pittsburgh was that there was a sense of the passing of the torch leading up to the game. I'm afraid that the Pens are not ready to fade just yet. Here's the way I see it:

1: Crosby is still the best player in hockey and has experience to back up skills, even if his athletic ability is not at the level of the up and comers. He seems to be acting more like a coach on the ice than the go-getter/goal scorer that fans expect of him. You have to grant that when he's on the ice he makes others look good. He's not like an Ovechkin or a Kessel; he's more likely to get in on an assist that take the shot himself.

2: Murray is a clutch goalie but not the sensation that Marc Andre Fleury was. I miss the option of having Flower in net; he was able to carry the team on his back during scoring droughts. Granted, he still took crazy risks and had concussions but I think that he understood that he had to be athletic in order to not get concussed when the crease got too crowded or the net got knocked off the moorings. It really concerns me that Murray continues to get concussed in practices of all places.

3: the defense is in constant flux. With Schultz being out, Maatta being shuffled around, Le Tang not being the same as he once was and Sully continually changing assignments (outside of the second line) I've resigned myself to the fact that there are going to be breakaways by opposing teams.

That being said, I'm keeping an eye on Toronto. I think hockey is overdue for having the Cup reside north of the border during the offseason.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Oh ye of little faith. Talk in Pittsburgh was that there was a sense of the passing of the torch leading up to the game. I'm afraid that the Pens are not ready to fade just yet. Here's the way I see it:

1: Crosby is still the best player in hockey and has experience to back up skills, even if his athletic ability is not at the level of the up and comers. He seems to be acting more like a coach on the ice than the go-getter/goal scorer that fans expect of him. You have to grant that when he's on the ice he makes others look good. He's not like an Ovechkin or a Kessel; he's more likely to get in on an assist that take the shot himself.

2: Murray is a clutch goalie but not the sensation that Marc Andre Fleury was. I miss the option of having Flower in net; he was able to carry the team on his back during scoring droughts. Granted, he still took crazy risks and had concussions but I think that he understood that he had to be athletic in order to not get concussed when the crease got too crowded or the net got knocked off the moorings. It really concerns me that Murray continues to get concussed in practices of all places.

3: the defense is in constant flux. With Schultz being out, Maatta being shuffled around, Le Tang not being the same as he once was and Sully continually changing assignments (outside of the second line) I've resigned myself to the fact that there are going to be breakaways by opposing teams.

That being said, I'm keeping an eye on Toronto. I think hockey is overdue for having the Cup reside north of the border during the offseason.
I'm surprised to hear about the "passing of the torch' talk in Pittsburgh. I certainly don't have that sense at all about this Penguins team. Sure, the loss of Schultz has caused some bumps on defense, and the team seems to only put in a good effort against stronger opponents (3-0 against the Caps, Golden Knights and Leafs; 0-1-2 against the Habs and Canucks), but Letang has been great (Pens get 66% of the shots and dangerous scoring chances when he's on the ice), Kessel and Malkin are putting up lots of points, and their special teams have been outstanding, especially the PK at over 90%. Sid is off to one of his typical slow starts, but I love what Leafs coach Mike Babcock had to say about Sid "passing the torch" of best player in the world to Connor McDavid:

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic