The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-25-2018, 04:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sexauer '18 (chapter 3)

Looks like my previous Blog-Thread, "Sexauer '18 (chapter 2)", it almost at the 300 post limit, so I am preemptively starting a new one. Probably won't put too much in here for the next month or so, though my readers are welcome to, as I am headed for the Cremona Italy Guitar Show tomorrow morning and will not return till Late October!

I will start the Italian adventure with 5 days in Cremona, 2 of them after the show, and with the goal of finding a violin of direct Cremonese descent for a price than I can afford.

Then we head up to Lake Come for a couple of days, for me featuring a visit to the Moto Guzzi Museum. Then Bergamo/Sirmione/Venice/Ferrara/Rimini/Bolognia/Parma, in that order I think, followed by Milan and a flight back to reality.

I cleaned up the Limba today and put its second set of strings on. Looking and sounding completely up to the task IMO.

Discuss among yourselves, please, and I'll check in when I can.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:28 PM

Enjoy your trip !
Old 09-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Viaggi sicuri Maestro...
Old 09-25-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Oh, oh. Almost like telling the teenagers, 'And while I am gone, no parties.'
Old 09-25-2018, 08:22 PM

I found Italy to be heaven on earth when there. Hope you enjoy. I did not make it to the Ferrari plant there, but I might have gotten a day with one for my birthday recently! We will need to compare notes. Kind of funny that we went to all different cities, Florence, Sienna, Montepulcianio, San Gemanano, or something like that, Pisa, Orvieto (again spelling), Rome, Pompei, and our favorite was Amalfi and the Isle of Capri. Did a scooter on Capri. Then we actually went across to Croatia which was beautiful also!!!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 09-25-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Oh, oh. Almost like telling the teenagers, 'And while I am gone, no parties.'
Well, it feels like I am not getting the attention I thought I was a year or two ago. There is some question whether this blog-thread idea is a good one, or perhaps it was but it has gotten old. The goal is to include everyone in my process, in the interest of community building, but I think the title "Sexauer '18", is perhaps not as exciting as a series of threads named after whatever the thrill of the moment is. 2019 is coming, but I think I'll continue to play out '18 in the current style. The flow of being in a single thread continuum appeals to me, not unlike the entire 51 year process that is my career. Party on, and stay in touch!

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 09-25-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, it feels like I am not getting the attention I thought I was a year or two ago. There is some question whether this blog-thread idea is a good one, or perhaps it was but it has gotten old. The goal is to include everyone in my process, in the interest of community building, but I think the title "Sexauer '18", is perhaps not as exciting as a series of threads named after whatever the thrill of the moment is. 2019 is coming, but I think I'll continue to play out '18 in the current style. The flow of being in a single thread continuum appeals to me, not unlike the entire 51 year process that is my career. Party on, and stay in touch!
Bruce - I am following wherever you are going. Well maybe not physically to Italy, but you get the idea. Go to Bologna by the way, fantastic place.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

We do plan to be in Bologna, but probably not to do the Ducati factory tour. There is a limit to what I can ask my wife to put up with, and the Moto Guzzi Museum will probably be enough for her.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:33 AM

I have enjoyed and learned a lot from your sequential building exposé. Not only does it showcase your current build it also shows how you manage your time between builds and overlap the start and finishing of builds. It is pretty much unique as compared to other builders, almost like a blog rather than a project thread. I wish they went back further in years, I consider us lucky to have a snapshot in time of the number of years you have documented your work so fully. It does take time and effort to do so. Whatever you do in the future I still will feel a dose of anticipation when I see a new Sexauer posting when I browse the Custom Shop.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am sitting in the Frankfurt airport waiting for my connecting flight to Milan!

My blog threads do run back through 2014. I don’t think AGF deletes these things. If you really want to go further, 13thfret.com forum still exists, and I posted a great deal there for many years before I showed up here.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Looks like my previous Blog-Thread, "Sexauer '18 (chapter 2)", it almost at the 300 post limit, so I am preemptively starting a new one. Probably won't put too much in here for the next month or so, though my readers are welcome to, as I am headed for the Cremona Italy Guitar Show tomorrow morning and will not return till Late October!

I will start the Italian adventure with 5 days in Cremona, 2 of them after the show, and with the goal of finding a violin of direct Cremonese descent for a price than I can afford.

Then we head up to Lake Come for a couple of days, for me featuring a visit to the Moto Guzzi Museum. Then Bergamo/Sirmione/Venice/Ferrara/Rimini/Bolognia/Parma, in that order I think, followed by Milan and a flight back to reality.

I cleaned up the Limba today and put its second set of strings on. Looking and sounding completely up to the task IMO.

I am worn out just reading this itinerary. Do have a ton of fun and good luck on the violin!

Tom, your vacation sounds incredible, too!

Safe travels!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-27-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I am sitting in the Frankfurt airport waiting for my connecting flight to Milan!

My blog threads do run back through 2014. I don’t think AGF deletes these things. If you really want to go further, 13thfret.com forum still exists, and I posted a great deal there for many years before I showed up here.
I never hear of the site. Oh well, not like I was getting anything done this evening anyway. Down another rabbit hole I go.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I never hear of the site. Oh well, not like I was getting anything done this evening anyway. Down another rabbit hole I go.
There has been little activity at the site for many years! I am the last poster of several threads and those posts were years ago. I hope it will resurrect as it was lightly moderated and yet quite smooth.

First day of the Cremona show is over. Lightly attended on the guitar side compared to the violin side, by a factor of ten. In line with that, I could fault the promoter with a lack of support as there was no water, food, or other hand holding, and perhaps worse yet, no t-shirt! Forgivable, I suppose, if there were great turnout. . . Possibly tomorrow.

After the show we walked down to the piazza Roma and had dinner at ‘“the Central”. Not cheap, but absolutely fantastic from the antipasto to the tiramiso. In between the pasta was handmade and I’ve never had better. The table wine,of unknown derivation, was perfect. Then we hung out in the plaza which has a dozen food truck in various Italian styles. There were about 1000 young fans eating and partying, to kind to make American geezers feel out of place. Great evening.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

la dolce vita...

Quote:
There has been little activity at the site for many years! I am the last poster of several threads and those posts were years ago. I hope it will resurrect as it was lightly moderated and yet quite smooth.

First day of the Cremona show is over. Lightly attended on the guitar side compared to the violin side, by a factor of ten. In line with that, I could fault the promoter with a lack of support as there was no water, food, or other hand holding, and perhaps worse yet, no t-shirt! Forgivable, I suppose, if there were great turnout. . . Possibly tomorrow.

After the show we walked down to the piazza Roma and had dinner at ‘“the Central”. Not cheap, but absolutely fantastic from the antipasto to the tiramiso. In between the pasta was handmade and I’ve never had better. The table wine,of unknown derivation, was perfect. Then we hung out in the plaza which has a dozen food truck in various Italian styles. There were about 1000 young fans eating and partying, to kind to make American geezers feel out of place. Great evening.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

I’d post more, but it would all be about Italian food, which is what my life revolves around at the moment. We have begun our 3rd week in Italy, and today left Tad Laird and his wife Nancy in Venice for a third day before they go to London. two was plenty for Linda and I, and we are now in Ferrara where the prices are 1/3 and the people are keeping it real. We had a world class dinner tonight for 41 eu including enough wine, and what wine it was; their house red (best of the trip, so far).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop