The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Default aer/3 and pa

equipment: aer compact/3
2 qsc 10's
redeye twin
402vlz4 mixer

how do i hook all this up for an acoustic duo?
i want to get the reverb from the aer as there is no other way with
the stuff i have. basically want to get the maximum, best quality sound out
of this equipment without having to purchase anything else. thanks.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:58 AM

Red eye into the mixer. Mixer into Compact XLR input (non mic setting) and the using Line Out 1/4 - not the DI OUT - to PA or stage DI.

I suspect a mixer with FX would be better as you can employ different levels of FX to each channel.
Martin J40
Old 09-25-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Red eye into the mixer. Mixer into Compact XLR input (non mic setting) and the using Line Out 1/4 - not the DI OUT - to PA or stage DI.

I suspect a mixer with FX would be better as you can employ different levels of FX to each channel.
This... Although not ideal ..will get you what
you ask at no additional cost. If you did get a new mixer
with effects You could use the aer as a monitor.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

why can't i use the aer as a monitor?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 AM

I'd get an Allen & Heath Zed 10FX. Better mic pre's, FX, and mid sweeps.

Guitar > red eye > mixer > speaker

AER as a monitor as stated before.

I was so happy when I went from my Mackie VLZ to the Allen & Heath.

If you don't want to buy a new mixer, maybe

guitar > red eye > aer > out of the aer (somehow) > speaker.

Is there a line out on the aer?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

yes, use the line out to one qsc 10 and then chain them together with a long xlr chord. i only use the mixer so we can have 2 vocals with the effects of the aer.
i've been running the mixer into the aer xlr input, line but was wondering if there's a better way to utilize the equipment? why would i come out of the redeye to the mixer and then into the aer?
Old 09-25-2018, 02:22 PM

If you need to use the FX of the AER then your mixer has to go through the AER and then out to your powered speakers. You can still use the AER as a monitor.
The line out of the AER goes to one powered cab and then out of the first powered cab to the second powered cab. Face the AER like a monitor towards you and adjust the volume accordingly.
Davidc
Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
yes, use the line out to one qsc 10 and then chain them together with a long xlr chord. i only use the mixer so we can have 2 vocals with the effects of the aer.
i've been running the mixer into the aer xlr input, line but was wondering if there's a better way to utilize the equipment? why would i come out of the redeye to the mixer and then into the aer?
I would route like this:

Guitar > Red Eye > Mixer > AER / QSC.

Personally, I'd treat the AER like a powered speaker.

If you want the effects from the AER, you could possibly pan just the vocals to the AER to see how that sounds. Might not be the best way to go though, because the QSC would be dry.

However, as DCopper stated:

If you are planning on using the AER as your mixer, will you be close enough to it to make adjustments? It's possible to do that. You could use the AER as a personal monitor / mixer and run out of the AER to the QSC for front of house.

If that's the case, then: Guitar > Red Eye > AER > QSC with the AER being utilized as a mixer and a personal monitor. Try both ways and see which you prefer.

Let us know how it goes.

*A buddy of mine has a Mackie SRM 150 mounted to his mic stand. It's also his mixer which runs to a QSC K12. It's a super easy setup, but I feel like in some situations, it's not nearly enough EQ shaping. Just fixed High,Mid, & Low. No sweeps. No verb.

The AER might work better if there are FX and better EQ control.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Either ditch the mixer and go:
Guitar > Red Eye > AER > QSC with the AER being utilized as a mixer and a personal monitor.

Or use the mixer and go:
Guitar > Red Eye > AER > Mixer> QSC's with the AER being utilized as a mixer and a personal monitor. Try both ways and see which you prefer.

Set the mixer flat to start, and use it as a global EQ for the QSC's if needed. That will differ from room to room. It will also give you left and right XLR outs, so you won't need to daisy chain (although) they will still be mono. It could also allow separate volume control to the QSC's via the panning knob. (Mono source into a stereo board will always be mono.

If you feel like hooking up the mixer, the added global EQ to the QSC's might work nicely. Just be sure to watch your gain staging so that nothing is clipping. There is a lot of headroom on those Mackie mixers, so just keep it from hitting the red, and you're good to go.

Another added benefit of this setup is that you'll have one or two extra XLR channels to use in case anyone sits in. If you use channel 1 or 2, you'll have one extra XLR channel, but if the AER has a strong enough signal, you can use the 3-4 stereo channel via 1/4".

The only drawback is that whoever goes right into the board won't have the benefit of the AER FX. You can however use the mixer aux channel to send a monitor feed back into the AER if it has an open channel. If not, no monitor for the guest musician.

Edit: I didn't realize that mixer was so stripped down. It'll still work, I don't see a pan knob though.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-09-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Let us know how it all works out!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

looks like i should bite the bullet and get another mixer with effects.
now i'm using the 402vlz into channel 2 of aer and line out to qsc 10s.
the problem is i'm limited to 2 vocals with effects from the aer.

with another mixer don't i still have to go through the aer to have guitars and vocals going through aer and the qsc's? also what mixer do you recommend?

i'm not very savy with the electronics so its all a learning experience and i want to maximize the equipment.

my buddy teaches guitar and has concerts with his students. we need the setup for sometimes at least 3 guitars and three vocals. i do have the redeye twin so 2 guitars can go through it. thanks for info.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
looks like i should bite the bullet and get another mixer with effects.
what mixer do you recommend?

i'm not very savy with the electronics so its all a learning experience and i want to maximize the equipment.

my buddy teaches guitar and has concerts with his students. we need the setup for sometimes at least 3 guitars and three vocals. i do have the redeye twin so 2 guitars can go through it. thanks for info.
I'm a really big fan of the Allen & Heath Zed series. They're easy to operate, sound great, and are relatively inexpensive. If you're running three vocals and three guitars, you'll need at least 6 XLR channels, mainly because of the preamps.

The XLR/preamp channels will give you more input gain and more EQ (Low/Sweepable Mids/High vs just Low/High) options.

I'd recommend the Zed 16FX. It has 10XLR channels and three stereo pairs. The stereo pairs don't have preamps, and only have two band EQ. They're nice for Keyboards and MP3 players, but you're not going to get a ton of gain out of them.

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-16fx/

If you can find a Zed60 14FX, that will work too. I own one and love it. I use it for trio work and running open mics. The Zed series has mid sweeps on all of the XLR channels which are very helpful when mixing.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SAAEgJJ_PD_BwE

Going even smaller, the Zed 12FX would work, but you'd be maxed out on the 6 XLR channels. It's always nice to have more XLR/Pre's than you think you'll need. Trust me!

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-12fx/

Quote:
now i'm using the 402vlz into channel 2 of aer and line out to qsc 10s.
the problem is i'm limited to 2 vocals with effects from the aer.

with another mixer don't i still have to go through the aer to have guitars and vocals going through aer and the qsc's?

You seem to really like the effects on the AER. I feel like that's complicating things for you. You seem to be trying to use the AER as a mixer, but you're running a mixer into the AER first to use the effects from the AER? Please corret me if I'm wrong...

What I would do personally, is get at LEAST the Zed60 14FX. It will give you 8 XLR/Pre Channels. If you can afford the Zed16FX, get that because it will give you room to grow. You may not think you'll need more channels, but you can definitely benefit from having them down the road.

I'd run all of the vocals and instruments into the Zed16FX and use the Zed's onboard effects for them. I would run out of the left and right main outputs to the front of house speakers.

I would use the AER as a personal monitor off of the Aux send from the Zed mixer. You can also send FX to the monitor feed. It's probably odd to think about not using the effects from the AER at all, but that's what I'd do.

The Zed series effects are decent and they'll get the job done. You can always get outboard reverbs and delays if you really want to make your setup even more comlplex, but I think you'll be pretty happy with what comes on the board.

The Soundcraft mixers are nice too, but I'm not as familiar with the model numbers.

I also own and love a QSC Touchmix 16 for running open mics and small setups for bands. Tons of tweakability, the ability to save mixes and EQ's for different rooms that you might play frequently, and the option of either running things, at the board, from an iPad, or your phone.

You can look for used deals on mixers too.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-26-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

wow, you've given me alot to think about. right now the higher end mixers just aren't in the budget. i'm so used to the aer and the redeye through the qsc's. does that eliminate the redeye? can i get the same quality sound through the instument inputs of the mixer?

like i said, i'm not that savy with the whole electronic thing. i've really not used a mixer other than the 402vlz which is really basic. thanks for all the info. i've got some decisions to make.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
wow, you've given me alot to think about. right now the higher end mixers just aren't in the budget. i'm so used to the aer and the redeye through the qsc's. does that eliminate the redeye? can i get the same quality sound through the instument inputs of the mixer?

like i said, i'm not that savy with the whole electronic thing. i've really not used a mixer other than the 402vlz which is really basic. thanks for all the info. i've got some decisions to make.
What is your budget?
Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

it was about 300.00 but now its going up

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification